Hola Trujillo...my new life!

Hello! My name is Brittney and currently I live in Portland, Oregon in the U.S., but I am moving to Trujillo in November! I am so excited and can't wait to live there.  I went to Peru in 2008 and am glad to be going back.

I decided on Trujillo because the weather, the beach, and the architecture. It's also a large city, so I hope there are lots of other expats there too!  I really want to get to know some locals, but my spanish isn't the best.  I can get around, but having a deep conversation would be very difficult, so english speakers will be good to know and help ease me into the new culture.

I want to teach english and am trying to research schools online.  Flemming College looks nice and I will contact them before I come down. Eventually I want to be a translator in a hospital since I work in health insurance right now and know a lot of medical terms, I just need to build my vocabulary and become more confortable with speaking.

If anyone knows anything about Trujillo, please reply to this post! If you know about schools, locations to live in, and anything else interesting about the city!

Hope to hear from you!

I wish I was there now but will be arriving in Peru on the 30th of May . Were there other places you had thought of moving to? Did you travel much throughout Peru. I will be traveling throughout Peru before actually deciding where to settle. My Spanish is also lacking but I am not shy about trying. I have also been studying Quechua. My rule is if they don't make fun of my Spanish/Quechua I won't make fun of their English. lol. I look forward to hearing and reading more from you.

I traveled from Quito all the way through the state (down the Pan Am highway). It was an all night bus ride.  After a crazy border crossing, we stayed a night in Lima, but our destination was Cuzco. We woke up early and bused down to Cuzco.  We spent a few nights here and exploring Macchu Picchu and Aguas Clientes. Then we went to Puno (on Lake Titicaca) for a night where we had so much fun with the locals.  Next day we woke up and bused over the boarder to Copacaba, Boliva! Highly recommended city if you can go.  So mellow and relaxing. Bob Marly playing everywhere, coffee shops galore, and dred locks on most heads.

Lima was my original destination, but the beach and warmer weather is calling my name after these last four years here in Portland (Oregon).  The land of eternal clouds and rain. Trujillo is where I'm planning on living, which I hear is beautiful. I've always lived in big cities, so I think Trujillo will be perfect for me.

Have you been to Peru before? How long do you plan to travel before wanting to settle into a spot?  Do you plan on finding a job?

Good to meet you!

I was in Peru in 2010 for a couple of months, I will eventually have to work but would like to travel first throughout Peru then Bolivia to Manaus Brazil to Colombia, Ecuador and then back to Peru. Unless of course i get sick of wandering then i will settle sooner. What are your plans are you still aiming for November? If you want to keep in touch we can possibly meet up then. [Moderated]

Hi Brittney & Roald,

I have only been to Lima for 10 days back in March 2010.
I have seen many pictures and vids on youtube of Trujillo.
Seems to me to be a perfect choice!  The reason I am posting here is because I hope to gain new friends and to hear about both
your experiences.  I will be going to Peru again in Feb 2013.
Lima, Trujillo, Cajamarca, Celendin.
Take Care,
Darrell

Hey Brittney! como estas! ví que estás interesada en venir a vivir a TRUJILLO, eso me parece una magnífica idea! yo viajaré a Lima, Iquitos, Panamá y México durante 2 semanas,estaré de regreso en mi ciudad el 9 de Noviembre, cualquier cosa que necesitas, cuentas conmigo, te dejo mi cel. xxx , estamos en contacto, saludos! Atte.- Joe Florian

@Joe Florian, could you please post in English in this Anglophone forum?

Thanks,
Harmonie.

and to continue.....I recently moved to Trujillo in June. Your 100% about the weather and more,, the Sun always shines....[ unlike Lima....
I think Lima is now refining itself compared to Trujillo which is growing outrageously !!. Lots of energy here and a short ride from the city you will find yourself in some very rural and fascinating towns.
I had visited Peru many times prior and made to decision to move here and then put all the necessary plans together but I had not ever visited Trujillo before so I came here on my intuition.
There are Not many here who speak English, and, I am so smart,,,, I have about a dozen or so palabras in Spanish so I kinda laugh all day when I try to explain myself,, and to let you know,, folks are friendly here and I get along fine. PS... to add,, Sign Language Don't Work At All,, haha!

I think you will have a good adventure here and no regrets. For you to know, Huanchaco is just on the city outskirts and about a 20 minute ride. It is a beach town and the home of the Reed Boats you may have seen pictures of. There is a skazillion restaurants / all good / and you can spend nice days there especially with summer coming.

Well, I will watch this post and  if I can offer any suggestions for you I will..............

pistachio

Hi Britney . I live in Lima but to live in Trujillo would be an excellent choice for its beautiful weather.

See you . A big hug to the distance .

Miguel Cardenas .

Hola, My Name is Jerry. I have been to Trujillo several Times and now Plan to move there.

By now you must be living there and know it all. Maybe we can correspond? or even meet for Lunch after I arrive in possibly July of this Year 2015

Jerry

hello Jerry......

you will enjoy Trujillo....

please.... you do not need to ALL CAPS....... not necessary.......

pistachio

Hi there. I'm thinking of moving to Trujillo as well. How did it go for you?

-Miami

It would be difficult to make a better choice....
Trujillo is a complete city but navigable and comprehensible....
Everything that you want or need is available....
The people are friendly ....
Not much English spoken,, but you can get by.....
If you post more specifics I will offer any detail that I can.....
pistachio

Hey pistachio,

Thanks for your reply. My main concern is crime, ability to rely on the police and stability of the local government. I know there are good and bad neighborhoods everywhere, but I hear about of crime coming from Peru. Is Trujillo relatively safe? I'm thinking if neighborhoods like California. I've also thought about Moche. If I move, I would buy there. What can you tell me about life for an expat there?

Thanks a bunch.

hi M.....

ok.....point by point....

you will find presence of police and security everywhere.......

The police are friendly, not antagonistic they keep a watchful eye... no problems.....

Crime here is petty crime,, petty theft.... there is a lot of poverty,, probably need drives most of it...

I really have to say it is not dangerous,,,but like driving on a highway,, you have to be careful

I don't think you will have difficulties..... of course there are places and neighborhoods to avoid,,,,but what else is new !

You hear about crime with embellishments and exaggeration....

there are things you do not do......

don't leave your purse or cell phone unattended
don't leave your car on the street overnight
don't flash money
don't wear flashy jewelry...

you get the idea......

I lived in Trujillo for a couple of years... in Las Delicias [ Moche ] and now in Huanchaco....near Trujillo

I lived in California in Trujillo,, a good neighborhood, La Merced is good too,,,, Golf is good but is kind of the Beverly Hills of Trujillo,, expensive........

So,,, is Trujillo relatively safe...... YES!  I am all over Trujillo,, no problem.....

Moche is Pure Peru...... not much there..... I think you would be bored.... also it is right off the Pan America Hwy.. a wild and wooly road,,, all traffic going up and down the coast is on this road,,, and it is busy 24/7..... Peruvian drivers are not very sophisticated and not much for courtesy,,,,
and when behind the wheel of a Truck or Bus... well,, it is he how is biggest makes the rules..

I almost bought a condo in Campina de Moche,, nice inside but really kinda isolated from Trujillo and having to hit the Pan America every day,,, well,, I decided not to.....
but for food and spending some time,, Campina de Moche was good,,, [ Campina de Moche is NOT MOCHE,, just saying ]

Buying is ok,, no problem but you need to Rent first to get your bearings..... and also to survey the market for properties and also find your happiest location.....buying can be tricky,, when the time comes we can talk more....

Expat life is fine,,,

You will not find an expat community.... nor many English Speakers......and that's ok... don't worry....

The conversion from Dollars to Soles is Wayyyyyy to your advantage
Peru aspires to be like the states and is about 70 years away....
Traditional food reigns
There will be things you LOVE and some you arrgh! hate.. but you will come to simply accept.....

and of course,, really, you will create your own best world within the context......

there is a lot to learn.....

the learning comes with experience.....

so,, you gotta get here to commence......

Quite An Adventure......

we will talk more

pistachio

Wow! You are the best. Thank your so much for such a detailed response. It really helps tremendously. I'm thinking of buying in California. But I wonder what it must be like to live on Huanchaco. I'm from Miami and live living near the water. Anyway, thanks again for being so kind. I look forward to starting a new life down there.

Listen, I lived in California near Los Angeles Ave....... it was fine.....

I now live in Huanchaco.... and it is depending on which road you take,, Trujillo is never more than 15 km away,,, 20 minutes.... Sooooooooo you have easy access ......to the Malls and the Movies and the Supermarkets and whatever !

A bus or combi will get you there but it takes a little longer,,,
having a car is nice but it is not essential....
a taxi is always possible too but it is a little more soles....
well,, for me,,, I gotta have a car but really,,, you don't have to.....

but there is the simple everyday things in Huanchaco that you could Never do or feel in Trujillo........ha!,, a simple lunch anywhere in Huanchaco is totally different than in Trujillo

Zorritos and Mancora up north are beach towns like Huanchaco but they are isolated.... FAR far away from anything.....

so Huanchaco is way ahead of both.... and really,, Huanchaco is as good as it can get.....

More...... Real Estate pricing is Wayyyyyyyy less than Trujillo.......so,, you have things to come to know and understand / so don't rush a purchase.......

we will talk more here and more when you get here......... we can have Lunch !

pistachio