MOVING TO ALMATY WITH TEENAGERS

Hi Everyone,

Looking for advice on my husbands job offer to move to Almaty.  We have lived both in Bangkok and Dubai for several years each time and returned to our home in Australia so we have had extensive experience in dealing with expat life, but of course every country is different.

The other concern is our daughters are now 14 and 12 year old and we were wondering if anyone has experience in moving teens to Almaty, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, what is most common for expats to live in apartments of houses? What amount of money does it cost to get a good place for a family to live.

Thanks all for your assistance in advance.

Hello Lizzy11,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hi Christine,  thanks for the welcome much appreciated:D

Hi Lizzy,

Ur welcome in almaty, Kazakhstan

here appartments depend on area. flats cost per month almost 800usd in a nice building. or if u wanna in good area accordingly prise increase..

so all the best.

Regards
Bayan
Almaty
Kazakhstan

Hi Bayan

Thank you for your reply much appreciated.

Also could you give me some advice on housing, which areas are good for a family to live in and is it easy to rent a house rather than an apartment, something with a garden etc.

Do you also know about the schooling there in Almaty.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Liz

HI LIZ,

I advise u to take appartment. in Medeu area appartments is too good with three, four rooms. and mostly foreiners stay. If u wanna house with garden then i think its not safe (if u can take care with security then its different thing).For foreigner i not advise. U can follow this link(www.krysha.kz) and check according to ur choice appartments as well as houses near mountain. but here not easy with lang, mostly people dont no english.

regards,
Bayan
email: [email protected]

Thank you Bayan,

Appreciate your quick reply just a question what is the problem with security if you get a house?  I will also look at the website you gave me.

Also do you know anything about the expat schools?

Thanks in advance

u check from that link. can contact or send mail to real estate. but mostly foreigners which i knew and colleques prefer appartment(3-4 room) rather than houses... its was just my advise))

ohh sorry, about school...
here available one school where my friend sister(indians) is studing. i think its american school. i will follow up from him same and let you know as soon as possible.

Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it.  I will look on the website for housing you advised me and appreciate you helping answer my questions very kind of you.

Are you an expat too? How long have you lived in Almaty?  Do you like it?

Im a local=). im Kazakh. working in pharmaceutical company as a translator from last 3 years. and mostly im in abroad for work. Almaty is a small city. Located near mountain Alatau. Hope u ll like it))

hello
about schools u can check the school Halleyberry and almaty international school, and miras school
if u need any hep u r welcome to ask ur questions
i work as an english teacher here, and i am Kazakh
regards
saule

http://isoa.kz/
Almaty international school

Hi Bayana, thank you again for all your replies they have been very helpful.

We are still awaiting the outcome of my husbands job in Almaty but as soon as I know more will be in touch

Kind regards

Liz

Hi Saluka

Thanks for your reply I have looked at the websites and been in contact with the schools you have suggested and they all sound very good.

Thanks for your advice appreciate your assistance.

Regards

Liz

Hi Liz,

Did you move to Almaty already? And if you did, which school did you choose?

Just discovered this site as I was trying to search any reviews for the schools in Almaty.

One of my daughters is 12 too. We also have a big experience as expats.

If you are in Almaty, will be happy to help.

the cost is approximately 1200-1800 / month( 3 room flat) usd depending on the location of the house and number of rooms.

[moderated: no free ad/ pls post in the job in Almaty section]

Hi All,

I just discovered this forum in the website.

I am an expat also, just moved to Almaty.
I am trying to find KG for my child (2.5yrs old).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Open for friendship also ;)

Regards to all.

Hi Kindergartens in Almaty,

I suggest you to go through the Kindergartens in Almaty section this might surely help. ;)

Thank you,

David.

Hi
Am wondering if you made the move to Almaty. We are potentially moving there with three of our four children aged 15,13 and 6. We are conscious of whether they will be able to find English speaking friends. Our 15 year old daughter is particularly anxious .
If you have made the move - would appreciate your thoughts
Thanks
Susan