Can a Japanese IT engineer get any visa sponsorship?

Hello.

I was wondering if I could obtain a work permit in Malta.
How does that sound?

- I am a Japanese citizen.
- I  have less than 2-year work experience in IT industry as a programmer.
- I believe I am able to work in an English-speaking environment.

Merħba :)

If you are not a citizen of an EU country, you need an employment licence in order to be able to work in Malta.
Employment licences must be applied for by the employer and not by the jobseeker.

Also see here: http://etc.gov.mt/Category/4/28/Employi … onals.aspx

So, it seems you have to get a job first and you may well find that very difficult and there may well be a need for you to speak Maltese in some positions.

For an idea of what may be available see here:

http://www.pentasia.com/vacancies/search.htm

(Linked through an advert on this blog.)

First of all, I would like to say "Grazzi ħafni!" to all of you who took your time for my post :)
I have stayed twice in Malta and somehow started thinking of living there.

Dear redmik,
Thank you for sharing the useful resources.

Employment licences must be applied for by the employer and not by the jobseeker.

I believe that I have already done some research. So I understand that job hunting is the first thing I need to do.

The problem is that I'm not a citizen of an EU country as you told me.

All I want to know is whether there is a chance that Maltese companies hire a Japanese citizen outside of EU and support visa or not.

I know it is difficult to learn Maltese language and I haven't considered any positions that require Maltese language proficiency.
I have learned some phrases because I do respect Maltese culture. But I would rather look for positions that require Japanese & English languages ability and good knowledge of IT.

Dear smile2all,
Thank you for your cheerful comment.
I really love people in Malta and I think some friends there will be happy to welcome me.
But, as some people said, I need to make more efforts because visiting Malta and working in Malta are quite different.

Have a nice day :)

Dear toonarmy9752,
As you may have realised, I do understand that it is never easy for a Japanese citizen to obtain work permit in EU region. I have already felt such difficulties.
For example, in England, there are many number of Japanese people already out there and they are ALREADY eligible to work in EU. So UK company can find good candidates within the nation and people like me are automatically ignored.
Then I wondered if this is the same in Malta.

I will keep my research and prepare for my future. :D

tsubutsubu wrote: For example, in England, there are many number of Japanese people already out there and they are ALREADY eligible to work in EU. So UK company can find good candidates within the nation and people like me are automatically ignored.
Then I wondered if this is the same in Malta.

Yes, as I understand the situation, it is the same as you describe.

Hi,

Please note that some off topic posts have been removed from the thread.

Thanks
Armand
Expat.com Team

Hello everyone,

Let me thank all of you for the helpful comments first.

Based on my skills, I found it almost impossible for me to work in the attractive island.
It is sad to say but I think I should give up looking at Malta for work.