Does anyone ever get lonely living abroad?

Just Curious because sometimes I do

Hey Todd,

Yeah, I'm sure it happens to us all, bro. It definitely happens to me. I have younger brothers and I always find myself wishing they were around. I have a wife and 4 kids and I can't imagine what it must feel like trying to do this on your own. I don't know anything about your situation, but I know a lot of people are moving here and trying it on their own. That's why I think it's important to try and make friends with Panamanians. I speak very little Spanish, and in my situation, making friends with Panamanians can be hard. So, if you don't already speak Spanish, join a class and I'm sure you'll meet people. Where are you living if you don't mind me asking? Have you checked out the YEP group on Facebook? Young Expats in Panama? If not, check them out here: https://www. facebook.com/groups/youngexpatsinpanama. They always have get togethers and and stuff like that. If I were single, I'd be there in a heartbeat!

Chris

That is one thing I concern myself with. How long have you been there?, where in Panama?  by yourself?  retired or working?
I ask a lot of questions because I am considering a move to the City, and leaving family and friends behind. I am a retired mature man, yet need to have a social circle of retirees or the like.

Hey Johnmozz,

A lot of that depends on where you base yourself. If you find a place with fellow expats, you'll be fine...and if you don't keep yourself holed up in your apartment/house.

Coronado is an expat-filled beach location where there are regular get togethers and always lots of cool things going on. I've heard there's a sizable expat community in El Valle de Anton and I know there's one in Boquete. So if you're in the right area, you'll have no problem meeting others.

In the city, I think the El Cangrejo area is probably the most expat-filled neighborhood. It's a hip and trendy little area with cafes, bars, restaurants...it's pretty cool. Casco Viejo has a lot of cool hangouts too, for all age groups. You'll find some pretty cool jazz bars and things like that in Casco Viejo. For Todd, if you haven't already, hit Calle Uruguay and you'll find a cool nightlife scene there or try Zona Viva (Zona Rumba) at Amador Causeway. Those are the two main younger crowd hotspots. Calle Uruguay has some cool bars for an older crowd too.

The Balboa Yacht Club at Amador Causeway has a lot of expat stuff going on sometimes too. I know they did a chili cookoff kind of thing once, and I think for the 4th of July they did a barbecue rib party or something like that. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Balboa-Y … 7599445195 that's their Facebook page too.

There's no great answer about combating that loneliness. I moved all over the U.S. with past employers and found that loneliness can hit you anywhere you go. You just have to get out of the house and find stuff to do.

Oh, there's even an English Theater group here that was putting on stage versions of popular movies. https://www.facebook.com/TheatreGuildOfAncon?fref=ts

Sorry about all the Facebook pages, but it seems the Facebook pages have more info than the websites nowadays, lol.

Hope some of this info helps (and of course check out my website at PanamaForReal.com if you haven't already, for lots of other info about Panama.

Chris

I guess I should have gave a little of my background to get a proper answer to this question. I am 33 years old. I currently live in the Cayman islands and its beautiful here but very boring. Yea yea Its the island life. i am leaving for Panama city Monday. I have been traveling the world since my very early 20's. I am an Ex Army Ranger and former Security Contractor for BlackWater. I Spent many years in the middle east and just want to live the peaceful life now. I hate the US but that's a whole different topic. I am very social and never had a problem making friends guys or the ladies. It just seems like things have slowed down lately and I have been doing much more thinking

Thanks Chris for the very informative info.  I have been to Panama several times, and it does have an appeal. I have traveled to many South American - Central American countries and I keep going back to Panama.  I wonder how it would be when not a tourist.   
Keep us posted on your adventures there.
JohnMozz

I agree with Chris's suggestion to learn as much Spanish as you can. I've found people here to be very friendly and welcoming, but of course you have to be able to communicate at least a little. The expat communities he mentioned are also good places to connect with other expats. I'm most familiar with Boquete and know they have a lot of activities and opportunities to get involved. You're young though, so maybe Panama City or something in that area would work well for you. It will be interesting to see how it feels to you.

ToddBlackburn wrote:

Just Curious because sometimes I do

We've lived in David for a bit over a year now. Getting daily things done can be more time consuming, especially when you're not sure about the processes and there is a language barrier. It took me a week to find out how to buy a tank of gas for the kitchen, for example, stuff like that. But in general, we're very happy with life here. The people are really nice and easy to get along with, it's beautiful, and since it's a new country and new part of the world there is always something interesting to explore and learn about. We're happy with our decision to move here.

Good point about living here being different than being a tourist. I don't think everyone considers that. You can only sit on a beach drinking drinks with little umbrellas for so long.

Kris

johnmozz wrote:

Thanks Chris for the very informative info.  I have been to Panama several times, and it does have an appeal. I have traveled to many South American - Central American countries and I keep going back to Panama.  I wonder how it would be when not a tourist.   
Keep us posted on your adventures there.
JohnMozz

"I wonder how it would be when not a tourist."

I can't tell you how many times I've met people who forget that we actually "live" here and it's not one big vacation.  You are obviously thinking practically and like Kris I thank you for that.  This is real life, we still have bills to pay, homes to maintain and every day chores to do like laundry.  And depending on where you live it will sometimes take longer to do any one of those things so no, we're not all lounging around holding drinks with little umbrellas in them or spending all our time at the Expat hangout.  There is so much more to do here and it gets old after a while, something like Groundhog Day.  Not to mention what it can do to your liver.

As for loneliness, even though I live here with my spouse and we have lots of friends yes, I still get lonely occasionally.  I miss my family and I miss the friends I left behind.  I miss how easy it was in Canada compared to Panama.  I miss some of the more modern conveniences that we don't have in our small town. I'm not saying I'm ready to pack my bags and go back, we love it here, but it is important to acknowledge that no matter where you are it isn't perfect and it is different.  I don't miss the snow, I don't miss getting up to drive across the city to work every day, and I don't miss the consumerism and hectic pace of life.  And yes, it is important to build up a support system and a "brain trust" of both Expats and Panameños and learn the language.  Although sometimes you will have to sort through a few "flakes and nuts" to achieve that goal.

Panama is a great location and provides all sorts of weekend get away options. But for an older single adult with a teenage son it can be challenging to have a social life with other single adults. I hear there is some "young expat" groups and there are s few "retired expat" groups but for some a women in her early 40s and working, I haven't found a group similar type expats to check up. Would love to other expats than the great people I work with.

HAH! We have met so many expats and Panamanians, we can hardly keep up!
Iris

Seriously? Did you ever get lonely before you moved to another country? It's a human condition, loneliness, and how you plan and live your life has a lot more to do with it than where you live your life, IMO.

In all my years of living and working abroad I have never felt lonely. I totally immerse myself in my work 24/7 and then switch off when I go out on break.
As long as I have phone access so I can chat to my family in Laos on a daily basis all is well.

I was very lonely living in El Valle. Even though I was there with my boyfriend and my cats it was a big change for me. I would suggest moving to a town that has a lot of people. Boquete or Panama City. Panama City has more young people and more nightlife. Boquete will be more laid back and there are things like hiking clubs, etc.

I feel like it would be easier to get a tight knit of friends in Boquete than in Panama City. Everyone knows everyone in Boquete. So it really depends on what is most important to you.

I've lived in so many places in the world.  I grew up in a military family & spent 25 years in the Navy.  There will always be times when we feel " lonely" no matter where we are in life....but I'm finding Panama is a great place to live.  Already (after just a few months) I've made lots of friends & I have to say speaking Spanish makes a huge difference.  It's not about being fluent, it's about trying! 
  I'm still new to Puerto Armuelles which is still kind of undiscovered, but the people here are kind, welcoming & lots of fun.  Finding people with common interests has been easy; Panamanians are quite outgoing and I was pleasantly surprised by the number of people who want to talk, share their lives, pictures, experiences and friendship.  I am so happy with my move here & I'm looking forward to some most awesome barbeques with my new friends!

If your going to any place with different environment someone feels lil weird feeling that is closer to loneliness. It happens even if you go to new city even in your own country.