Advice about moving to Christchurch

I have been told that the cost of living in NZ is comparable to UK, i.e.. £1sterling equivalent buying power is $1 NZ.

Getting conflicting advice on cost of living in NZ from some websites, would be good to hear of some real experiences to let us check out salaries.

adelerose
Check out this website for cost of living www.numbeo.com  Navigate your way through this site for other information too.

We are four in our family and rented a house for 550,- a week. Electricity is between 200 to 400 a month, depends on the season. No water costs in Christchurch. Although the rent is higher than Tokyo. It is hard to get a nice house for a family. In winter you need a electric blanket and your hobby should be flying or tramping in NZ.

Schools, it depends what kind of visa you have. It can cost nothing (except a donation) but if you are putting your kids on International schools, it is expensive.

Food, is the same or similar than UK, so you should not have a problem. The cost I am not sure about but for me as I am from Germany, I do have a higher cost of food than the usual person.