Douala on the horizon

Dearest expats,
Bon jour and hello from the waning grips of a true European winter.  As the days grow warmer confidence increases....mental checklists of immunization and donation destinations for winter clothes flood the mind.

While concrete confirmation from the company does not exist, surety that the Lord has Cameroonian plans for us has been verified through the prayers of His children.

We are a young, traveling family of 5.  Torn between strong oil and gas industry career skills and a social justice / environmental steward heart we come to each new assignment desiring to balance a life of creature comforts with a life of service to the poor.  We have often erred to the side of creature comforts.

Douala, I am determined, will be a different story for our family. 

Are you into healthy, sustainable living in all areas of your life?  We are.
Do you desire to serve The Lord, making use of the gifts of the Spirit?  We do.
Should practical applications of love be prioritized?  We think so.
Are very small children laughing around hip height in your home?  They do here.
Do you think like an engineer?  We do.

I imagine some aspects of life in Douala will be difficult.  Of course the first 6 months minimum is a major adjustment time.  Finding a fabulous church shouldn't be too hard (please advise!).  Finding local organic groceries could be tricky (thoughts?) or impossible.  Making friends who have young kids should be great.  Building my envisioned biogas digester in the slums should be a major challenge!  Hiring nannies, tutors, guards, and maids will be as it always is - easier with referrals!  And of course, learning French will be difficult, but surely help the rest of life flow much easier.

We are thrilled to prepare for the next leg of our journey through life.  Africa is a nation of riches and sorrows, maybe more than many others.  We thank you in advance for your thoughts, tips, and guidance as we navigate our way to Douala.

Nice to meet you, EcoMom. I am Benjamin Vasosky, joined this expat community just a couple of months ago. Am very proud of your work. Bon Chance on your way to Douala!!!

Hi and welcome to Expat.com EcoMom!

Your post has been moved to the Douala forum for better visibility.

Regards
Armand

Please Africa is a Continent, like North America, Europe, Asia and South America

Oh dear, I do know the many and varied nations of Africa, please, Fabito, do forgive my poor choice of prose.  If you have any other thoughts on or tips of ways this clearly under educated Mom can do a better job of integrating into Cameroon, please let me know.  The more preparations I make ahead of time, the greater chance of reducing my ignorance and the less accidental offense I will make.

I have worked in northern Kenya for a month 10 years ago.  I anticipate Kenya should be as culturally different from Cameroon as France is from Poland.  But the details of the differences are still a mystery to me. 

Also, with the distant exception of Vietnam, I have never lived in a country affected by French colonialism.  I believe this also brings about a number of cultural nuances which I am also blind to, giving me more chances to offend. 

Lastly, I had the awkward experience of friendly chatting with a few gentlemen from Africa, I believe they were Nigerian (again, not at all Cameroon, but bear with me please).  It was a very pleasant conversation!  Then I went to leave and the men, especially one of them began following me.  Evading through staircases, elevators, etc. and futile protests that he was NOT invited to my room was absolutely required to escape a  one way romantic liaison gone wrong!  Are there any particular behaviors of North American women that might send the very wrong signals to gentlemen in Cameroon?  Note, there are men who are dogs or predators in every culture.  I am not talking about those kind of men.  Nor do I think the men I met were a particularly 'bad' type.  I really believe I completely and inadvertently led them on.  I would never want to make my future Cameroonian neighbors (or their wives) uncomfortable by making the same mistakes again.

I am looking forward to the wise cultural comparisons and contrasts the members of this blog can share.

EcoMom wrote:

Oh dear, I do know the many and varied nations of Africa, please, Fabito, do forgive my poor choice of prose.  If you have any other thoughts or tips on  of ways this clearly under educated Mom can do a better job of integrating into Cameroon, please let me know.  The more preparations I make ahead of time, the greater chance of reducing my ignorance and the less accidental offense I will make.

I have worked in northern Kenya for a month 10 years ago.  I anticipate Kenya should be as culturally different from Cameroon as France is from Poland.  But the details of the differences are still a mystery to me. 

Also, with the distant exception of Vietnam, I have never lived in a country affected by French colonialism.  I believe this also brings about a number of cultural nuances which I am also blind to, giving me more chances to offend. 

Lastly, I had the awkward experience of friendly chatting with a few gentlemen from Africa, I believe they were Nigerian (again, not at all Cameroon, but bear with me please).  It was a very pleasant conversation!  Then I went to leave and the men, especially one of them began following me.  Evading through staircases, elevators, etc. and futlie protests that he was NOT invited to my room was absolutely required to escape a  one way romantic liaison gone wrong!  Are there any particular behaviors of North American women that might send the very wrong signals to gentlemen in Cameroon?  Note, there are men who are dogs or predators in every culture.  I am not talking about those kind of men.  Nor do I think the men I met were a particularly 'bad' type.  I really believe I completely and inadvertently led them on.  I would never want to make my future Cameroonian neighbors (or their wives) uncomfortable by making the same mistakes again.

I am looking forward to the wise cultural comparisons and contrasts the members of this blog can share.

I will first of all appreciate the fact that you spoke to my plight.

Well Cameroon is a very country with a lot to be lent from it. It has all what Africa can offer in one nation. Unlike any other underdeveloped country Cameroon has it's share of social ills, nothing you can't handle.

The scenarios you tried to explain above are not clear to me and I am I have come across any of that. Not denying the fact people go for material gain as well.

If they is anything specific you want to know, let me know and I will glad help.

Cheers.

Nice to meet you too, Benjamin.  Where do you call home?  What are your initial thoughts of Cameroon?  Do you have a wife accompanying you?  I would be interested to chat with her if you have a wife.

Dear Ecomom,

I am an American mom of two. My husband is from Cameroon and we would like to resettled in Cameroon in the next couple years.  I would love to get into contact with you and exchange ideas, sotriies, resources, etc.  I would love to have a friend in Cameroon to look forward to meeting!  Message me with your email!

Amanda

Hi Friend,
           I do live in Douala, i am an INDIAN, but love to be here because the people are friendly but some special characters are every part of the world, so we have to ignore them. If you wish i will show you a good cathedral and a young cameroonian who is doing good service to the young peoples. He is in a christian missionary. Kindly show me your interest level further i will reply you with details.

with love,
ilango

Ilango, that sounds fabulous, please do mesge me with more details.  We are very interested for all input on local churches, especially recommendations.

Hi Ecomom,
            Thank you for your reply, now i am in india, i will be there in douala at this month end, so i will let you know after my arrival with all details,
regards

Hi EcoMom,

I read your thread about moving to Douala. It was in Mar-2013. I'd like to know if you've finally moved to Douala? And how you find it?

I'm potentially bringing my family (my wife + 2 kids) to Douala, again it's an oil job (probably just like you). Want to know feedback from someone who's fresh into the city.

Wanting to hear from you.

Best

Khanh

Hi khanh,

Our company lost its business before we were scheduled to move.  I am sorry I could not help.

nicely  writtten..good wishes to ur entry to Douala!!