Save to visit Algeria by single woman?

Hi\Asallam aleikum,
Just a simple question..
Is it save for me to visit Algeria by myself..single woman?
To be save in Hotel etc?
never being on Holiday on my own...just want to be prepared..
>Want to go to Algiers,Alger
thanks,Peace!

Hi Rebelmoslima,

Maybe you could read some of the topics in this forum to get some answers to your question, for example this one: do's and don't.

Good luck
Arlette

i did..thank you..did`nt find anything relative...

Well, It is not easy for a woman to travel alone to Algeria but it is really a good experience and a nice place to visit. If you were going to touristic places, you will be OK, there are some tourists, and people got used to foreigners, but in popular places it is kinda difficult for a woman to be alone as foreigner.

First, you have to find a good hotel (5 stars hotel), rent a car and preferred with driver because driving there is difficult and it most of the time crowded, It is difficult also for you to you use public transportation.

If you want to go out at night, choose the right places, and generally will be expensive places, and accessible only with private cars (taxis are rarely available at night). Don't go out much to the popular places (popular neighborhoods) at night alone.
Try to talk to people, they are really nice and friendly, but be careful in the same time, don't trust everybody.

If you are Arabic or French speaking, this will help a lot, not all of the people speaks English.

Hope you will have a good time in my home country; and if you need more advices about where to go and what to visit (places), things to do? please let me know.

Ah ,thank you so much!
Well,i can speak some french,some arabic..that will help..
Furder..i don`t go out in the night..ìm a muslima after all ;)
(convert to islam)..And want no problems with men or such things...Just want to visit Algiers..save places..And meet my friend over there..but we can`t stay in his parents home,and ist not possible 2 go to hotel as unmarried copple(where not a copple anyway,just very gooood friends)..so i`m looking for solution.My friend do`nt like me to come..cause traveling alone as girl in Algeria,he don`t like that idee.But hey..my name is Rebel:) :)..he has to studie,go to work..So have to spend al lot off time on my own,wich is no problem,if things are safe for me.
Just curious..You`re an Algerian,living in Dubai?because of hidjra?

With regards,
Rebel

Hi,

Yes, i am Algerian expat in dubai.

you can ask me what ever you want.

yeah,i understand you`re an expat..
but youre  intention was to make hidjra?(for non molsims>Hidjra is to move to islamic coutry in order to live in a (better)islamic country and make our community stronger,and cause we`re al brother and sisters loving eachother)and helping eachother in our pad in Islam..But thats my personal vieuw on explaining the therm Hidjra;)

Ah ok, i understand.

Algreia is 100% islamic country, and i am not her for that raison.

yep,right!I know..but..for example...some arabic countrys are not behaving that arabic anymore..i know a place in Morocco..-mohameddia-where they put the adhan on low sound..because of the complains of the ..neighbours!!..I wanted to swim there in Mohameddia..but did`nt find a swimmingpool ,with possybility for swim without men..i think that`s really crazy..don`t know about Algeria..maybe one islamic country is better than one other..so that`s why i had to ask..:)

Hi, I think most of arabic countries are the same, and there is a big difference between arabic and islamic words.

Also, arabic countries can be a good place for practice but not teh perfect place.

i agree...nothing out there as a -perfect-place..only a little better :)
Anyway,
have a good time there in Dubai..its always a nice experience,wherever you go,,if you ask me..:)

i live in algeria as a western and i advise you to pick a different holiday spot.
yes the people are mostly nice but generally it is not safe for you. you will get hassled a lot by men. as a western you are considered a slut and will most likely stand out, skin colour, clothes ect
if you do go you will need to take precautions in what you wear, were you go, how you act, how you get around, what you think is acceptable in public.
and asking people who live here is not always the best answer. people will say you are allowed to do anything and that it will be fine but this is not correct. wear conservative clothes, dont be flirtations, dont act to out there or anything like that, try not to smoke in public, generally dont make eye contact with men or police or army as they could see this as flirting and then see it as to hassle  you.

:)]

Algeria is a great country
but for a strange woman who will want to visit this single not easy for him, so I advise you to find friends with you completely trust that your visit is perfect
people are generally nice
I hope you enjoy your visit here in Algeria
if you need help requires contact me
I wish you good luck

Hi Maggy56 & welcome to Expat.com!

Thank you for your contribution.

Harmonie.:)

doctorsalim23 wrote:

Well, It is not easy for a woman to travel alone to Algeria but it is really a good experience and a nice place to visit. If you were going to touristic places, you will be OK, there are some tourists, and people got used to foreigners, but in popular places it is kinda difficult for a woman to be alone as foreigner.

First, you have to find a good hotel (5 stars hotel), rent a car and preferred with driver because driving there is difficult and it most of the time crowded, It is difficult also for you to you use public transportation.

If you want to go out at night, choose the right places, and generally will be expensive places, and accessible only with private cars (taxis are rarely available at night). Don't go out much to the popular places (popular neighborhoods) at night alone.
Try to talk to people, they are really nice and friendly, but be careful in the same time, don't trust everybody.

If you are Arabic or French speaking, this will help a lot, not all of the people speaks English.

السلام عليكم
Hi,
Do you have any advice for me as well. I am going to marry an Algerian girl.

Hope you will have a good time in my home country; and if you need more advices about where to go and what to visit (places), things to do? please let me know.

[Moderated: Expat-blog is not a dating website please]