Best Dates in Jeddah

Hi everyone,

I need to shop for the best dates quality before I travel back home.

I live in Jeddah in the hamra district, is there any shop nearby that sells very good dates quality. I am looking for the khodry dates as the main ones to purchase and want to try other ones.

Thanks,
Ryan

If you don't care about the lovely packaging... The go to the grocery store at ask for MADINAH dates by weight they are awesome! Otherwise they also sell prepackage ones.. Sukary etc...there are stores that specialize in lovely packaging of good quality dates but I don't have the names at hand... Perhaps "ahmadaq" will also respond ASAP.... Good luck!

Hi,

thank you for your prompt reply, I was checking the website tomoor.com for almadinah dates and apparently a kg is only around 3-5 $, I had the impression from someone who told me about saudi dates that if you need good dates here you need to pay like 20 $ a kg.

Thanks for your info, seems good.

I was gifted Al Madinah dates and that's how I came to love them...I think you should go by your taste buds dear! Ahmadaq suggested I go to Bateel and Talah for the packaging but I'm a foodie and dates from the market work for me!!!

Thanks a lot,

I guess I will buy as a gift from talah (17$/kg) the khodri date and for my consumption the al madina date which is (6$/kg) ;)

Cheers

There are many different types of local Dates that you can buy in the market each with its unique taste and texture.  The most famous date in Saudi comes from areas like Qaseem, Buridah, Baisha, Al Hassa and Madinah.

I personally love Sukkari (the soft Sukkari and not the dried ones). Also like Ajwat Al Madinah (small black ones) both are sold with a price ranging between 60-90SR/Kg.(Now there are some Ajwa types that can go up to 500 SR/kg !!! but that's another story for another day )

Other good types are Segae , Anbara and Mabroom (the last two are cheap ones but they look and taste good).

When it's the season for fresh Rotab (yellow and red fresh date) end of Aug-Sept then Ruthana, Barhi and Khalas are the best options.

I advise you to taste it at the shop, since it's a common practice here, and then decide on the types you like .

Now for where to get date; for the best deals you can go to the date shops in and around the main Vegetable and fruits market  or in Bab Makkah in Balad. Other options are the small/medium shops spread all around Jeddah ( Al Qaseem Date is a good one) there is one behind Shizan Restaurant  and the British bank  in Sari street that have a good collection. 

For more expensive option with better packaging and not necessary better quality , you have Bateel, Al Badiyah and Tala ranging from 160-250 SR

Thanks a lot Ahmad,

Your post was very helpful, I will check different stores that you mentioned and taste and choose accordingly.

I see that some shops sell them pressed and some more loose. Since I will be traveling next week, are the loose ones better than the pressed ones, I was thinking about buying pressed ones and putting it in travel bag. But then I thought that probably the loose will taste better so I have to put them in my handbag when traveling. Shall I buy them last day before I travel or it doesn't matter.

Sorry with the rain of questions, it's the last ones :D

Ryan

Edit: Btw, I searched on google for alqaseem dates,couldn't find anything

Hello man,
The pressed ones are usually the cheap types that people use for making sweets like Maamoul. I don't like them even the ones with Almond. The loos ones are much better and you can buy them on any time just keep them in a cool place.

For Al quaseem Dates تمور القصيم  I will be surprised if they have a website so just look for their shops ( they have one in hiraa, off Sari and Qurish Street

November 12th is a good one.

I can't resist.

Expat.com is not a dateing site :D