Cost of living in the Maldives

Hi everybody,

It would be very useful to talk about the cost of living in the Maldives.

Don't forget to mention where in the Maldives you are living.

How much does it cost to live in the Maldives?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub

> price of the cinema

Do not hesitate to add items to this list!

Thanks in advance for your participation!!

hi,

i am from the maldives, and feel free to contact me if i have missed any details..

How much does it cost to live in the Maldives?
in general if your living in the capital male, with a family of 3 then you will need to earn atleast $3000.00 to live comfortably. but if your staying on a resort, they will provide accomodation and meals, hence +1500$ will be a good salary to start with,

for junior level staffs, they manage with 500$ a month.

> accommodation prices
depends, on resorts/hotels employer provides, if on capital depending on your designation you will be provided with accomodation. male city cost 1500$ for a good fully furnished apartment.

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)
male city is the biggest, but very small you can walk to anywhere from 10-15minutes, we do have bus available which costs 5rf=0.3$. if you are staying in male it is better to buuy a motorbike

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

$500s if you go out very often, but can do with 300$

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)
starts from 50$ onwards, you can get a good medical insurance for less than 200$ a year

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)
international schools yes, from 200$ onwards

> energy prices (oil, electricity)
Utilities cost an average of 100$ per month/utility

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)
internet home user 4Mbps with 4GB allowance =30$, 512Kbps unlimited =50$, television=50$ full package, telephone on average = 70$ for mobile

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant
about 50$ for a group of 6

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub
no local pubs, ther eis one bar at hulhule island hotel, 5 mins by boat from capital city (alcohol only for expats no muslims) coffee will go for 1.5$ for at a good coffee shop

> price of the cinema
only in male at 2$ per movie

hope this helps

cheers
mooch

Hi mooch!

Thanks for these useful tips that for sure, will help other members.:top:

Harmonie.:)

I want (ADDU CITY MALDIVES) furnished accommodaion one room with AC what will be cost of living including food , utilities and rent.

please specify your profession, most likley your emploey will provide you with the accommodation.

mooch wrote:

please specify your profession, most likley your emploey will provide you with the accommodation.

I am a Doctor and my compensation includes acommodation allowance of 200 dollars only, is it sufficient to rent a single furnished AC accommodation in Addu city.
I have requested to provide free accommodation in lieu of allowance.
Can I have Indian food facility also ?
What are weather requirements ?

you will need at least 330$ for accommodation only. If you are experienced and qualified doc, then they will pay you for accommodations etc.

you can buy all the ingredients for sure, maldivians have indian taste buds, so its not goona be difficult to find maldivain food that are closely related to yours.

maldives is a tropical country, over 90% of our days are sunny, temperatures from 26-32 degrees max

hope this helps
mooch

mooch wrote:

you will need at least 330$ for accommodation only. If you are experienced and qualified doc, then they will pay you for accommodations etc.

you can buy all the ingredients for sure, maldivians have indian taste buds, so its not goona be difficult to find maldivain food that are closely related to yours.

maldives is a tropical country, over 90% of our days are sunny, temperatures from 26-32 degrees max

hope this helps
mooch

Thanks a lot for information!
Is all accommodation is furnished and AC and included in rentals?
Humidity is how much ?
For single person how much expenses are expected in total including everthing?
Regards !

I got connected by a recruitment agency for a job as a accountant. Is the salary of 700-800 $ USD enough for me and my husband to live there? They offered me benefits: accommodation/food+medical. Is the company provide visa costs???

Thank you

Hi,

We (Me and my wife) are going to Maldives from India for a Holiday trip for around 10 days.
We plan to stay at my wife relatives place lives in Male.

During our stay, we will spend some time @Islands around 4 to 5 in number.

1) What would be the travelling cost from Male City to the Islands?

2) How much the ship charge to the Island from Male City to the Islands?

We have no idea about shopping the accessories and food stores.

What would be the approximate budget for shopping items such as Perfumes, Sandals, Shampoos, BodyWash, Women accessories (clothes and hand bags), food ingredients such as Jams, Cashew Nuts, Grapes and other fruits etc.

I am a middle-class guy carrying an amount of 10000 Indian Rupees and is this amount is sufficient to shop the above items.
(or)
Should I carry more than the above amount?

Can I carry Indian Rupees in Maldives (or) Should I exchange the ruppes with Maldives Currency before coming to Maldives?

Could you please guide us and provide the solution?

Regards
Sunil

Hi Sunil,

10,000Inr is aproximatly 180usd, comes to abt mvr,3000.00, you will need a lot more, ESP if you are planning to travel arnd and do shopping, a good perfume 100ml will cost abt 100USD, cashew nuts 100grams will be abt 2$s, and jam bottle abt 2$s, bread 1$, rice kg, 0.40$, sugar same,

Inter island ferries would cost abt 20$s per person, depending on the island, if it's far you have to fly, cost abt 200$, for two people I suggest that you bring at least 1500$s min for 10days,

You have to buy USD, € before you come to Maldives and the  exchange it at airport or anyplace after you arrive....

Thanks
Mooch

Hi Mooch,

Are the prices you list all in Rufiyaa or USD?

Thanks.

Those With $ sign is USD, :)

Hi I have got a job offer as a teacher under the MOE. I am not sure where I'll be posted. But what i want to know is what type of accomodation is given to teachers. They were not specific about it. They said they will help us look for the accomodation and that it would be on share basis. They said it would be max 2500 mrf. They are paying 12500 mrf. is it sufficient

now i am planing to go and work in Maldives IN MINISTRY OF EDUCATION AS A QUALIFIED TEACHER
the salary offered in total is almost 15000 MVR
CAN I SAVE ANYTHING THERE?

i am doctor nayab willing to come Maldieves .can u plz tell me how to get job there other than as a doctor for my friend   i have also a offer from there so i want that my friend also get job there he is a computer literate