Need legal advice.

Today i went to issue a new pakistani visa to Ministry of Interior.

My husband have french and pakistani passports, i have russian.

They refused to accept my documents. They did not give any respectful explanation, apart of a phrase that i have to come with my husband(who is abroad for work) to make my visa.

They treated me as a part of the furniture in the room, speaking prefferably with my driver and ignoring my questions and my presence as it is. It was humiliating.

After 2.5 hours of expectation in the dirty room without AC (around+43C), lots of people.... i went out with nothing. When my husband will come back, they will demand to pay a fine for overstay(ammount in Dollars...).

Upset and confused. So i have a question. Is there a law which tells that the woman in Pakistan doesn't have a right to present her own documents, for her own visa without attendance of her husband?

What are the rights of woman in this country?

And why a lot of pakistani man considering woman as a pale shadow of her husband, who never speak and not suppose to show signs of life on the public?

Lana.

Hello Lana. :)

Welcome to Expat.com!

I hope you will soon get some responses.

Aurélie

Hello Aurelie! Yes, i hope so. Lana.

Let me check for some help. i wish i can...

hurayyyy! finally got my papers!

LanaSh wrote:

hurayyyy! finally got my papers!

:) Congratulations Lana, How are you doing?

Thxs Harira, hope you will get all your travel papers too and soon! Huggs, Lana.

Timuchine, how is life in Bahria Town? Thinking to shift there in a year or so, still not decided... Sounds like a great place, just distance is a bit confusing. I used to live in the center of IBD. Security and stores are fine?

Bahria Town is a great place, though it is bit far from centre, but it has all the basic necessities of live 24/7.

I guess this is the best place to live in Pakistan.

How do you know? :cool:

@ Lana:
Bahria town is the best housing society in Pakistan. It has been structured on international standards. I highly receommend it. You will find everything there you need. Good luck and have a very nice stay

Lana,

As Pakistan is a 'Muslim' country there are of course goign to be issues in terms of what in the Western world are seen as women's equal rights. In Islam a woman shouldn't travel alone without her husband or mahram (close blood relative such as father, brother-inlaws do NOT count) A Muslim man has to be careful in his communicatiosn with a non-Mahram woman so by talking to your driver instead of you they were actually giving you respect. Pakistani culture can be misogynistic at times treating women how you say (though this has NOTHING to do with Islam whatsoever)it depends how and where your husband/his family were raised as to how they will follow Pakistani culture or the religion of Islam.

I hope this helped in some way, Alhamdulillah my husband is not like this at all in terms of the whole 'woman is a second class citizen) and we don't travel separately unless someone is with me that could protect me if any problem were to arise regardless of what country we are in. If I need to go somewhere he takes me there and we go together as a family or he takes me to my family/friends and comes back to collect.

Glad you finally got your papers :)

Assalamu alaykum

LanaSh wrote:

They refused to accept my documents. They did not give any respectful explanation, apart of a phrase that i have to come with my husband(who is abroad for work) to make my visa.

They treated me as a part of the furniture in the room, speaking prefferably with my driver and ignoring my questions and my presence as it is. It was humiliating.

After 2.5 hours of expectation in the dirty room without AC (around+43C), lots of people.... i went out with nothing. When my husband will come back, they will demand to pay a fine for overstay(ammount in Dollars...).

Upset and confused. So i have a question. Is there a law which tells that the woman in Pakistan doesn't have a right to present her own documents, for her own visa without attendance of her husband?

And why a lot of pakistani man considering woman as a pale shadow of her husband, who never speak and not suppose to show signs of life on the public?

Lana.

Hi Robina, absolutely agree with you, while in Rome do as the romans do.... I would respect back the person who treats me with dignity  regardless of nationality, religion, colour of the skin, ect.  But  those  fellows just  wanted  to humiliate me.  After listening for  about an hour  their juicy conversation about their girlfriends (they did not feel uncomfortable in my presence).....I couldn't take this crap anymore.I think that their human, moral and religious values are corrupted. In  a few days after that I came back  with my husband, the story repeated itself.  My hubby was so angry for the treatment we got there. He did a lot of noise and had to write to the higher organisation.  Only after that...I got my visa.
That's my  story.  Some individuals simply can rotten your day just for fun or bad mood... They got a POWER! So good luck with your visa and pray that the MAN will be in a good mood... 

robina wrote:

Lana,

As Pakistan is a 'Muslim' country there are of course goign to be issues in terms of what in the Western world are seen as women's equal rights. In Islam a woman shouldn't travel alone without her husband or mahram (close blood relative such as father, brother-inlaws do NOT count) A Muslim man has to be careful in his communicatiosn with a non-Mahram woman so by talking to your driver instead of you they were actually giving you respect. Pakistani culture can be misogynistic at times treating women how you say (though this has NOTHING to do with Islam whatsoever)it depends how and where your husband/his family were raised as to how they will follow Pakistani culture or the religion of Islam.

I hope this helped in some way, Alhamdulillah my husband is not like this at all in terms of the whole 'woman is a second class citizen) and we don't travel separately unless someone is with me that could protect me if any problem were to arise regardless of what country we are in. If I need to go somewhere he takes me there and we go together as a family or he takes me to my family/friends and comes back to collect.

Glad you finally got your papers :)

Assalamu alaykum

LanaSh wrote:

Lana.

not everybody is same there are womens who are in business in proffession and even villages we do wrong when we generalize things giving respect to someone is through the way they give respect to ladies here who are actually quiet different from foreign ladies but not everyplace is same

Looks like things are happening for you in Pakistan :)

I would see your experiences a result of partly the communication gap with local government offices where mostly Urdu is spoken and understood. And at a busy place like a passport office with long queues the officials would want to quickly conclude thus prompting them to speak to someone who understands Urdu like your driver did.

Further yes in Pakistan women are associated with their men and not the other way round. Its nothing disrespectful but the way of life in this country. A man is considered as the representative and decision maker for a family and also held responsible for their actions. So in a way it protects the family members too. Though exceptions in mannerisms exist through out the world. I wouldn't generalize it to an entire people like you did.

Best with your stay in Pakistan and the next place you move on to!

Cheers.