Just Arrived!

Hello everyone,

I just arrived to triploi, will be here for a while and would like to know about life here, with regards to any kind of "fun" activities? outdoors? indoors? Also, any recommendations for best car choice here?

Thanks
Moe

Welcome Moe :D .....Regarding cars i would say only one thing-- drive safe!! I quote --"Figures just published and disclosed to PANA reveal that, according to the World Health Organisation (WHO) Libya has the second highest number of road accident in the Arab world"

Source- Tripoli.com
link to read more - http://www.tripolipost.com/articledetail.asp?c=1&i=1753

we lost 3 members out here..

moek955 wrote:

Hello everyone,

I just arrived to triploi, will be here for a while and would like to know about life here, with regards to any kind of "fun" activities? outdoors? indoors? Also, any recommendations for best car choice here?

Thanks
Moe

I would recommend you don't drive but if you are willing to take the risk than go for a small sedan for the city, you don't want to get an expensive car out here because it's simply useless from the safety perspective.

The driving out here is crazy, but you get used to it. I've been driving here for 2yrs and feel safer than if I let the company's drivers take me anywhere....

Genie you are waaaayyyyyy too sexy in that display pic.....the locals are staring....with relentless, desperate stares.....watch out!! :P

veechansa wrote:

Genie you are waaaayyyyyy too sexy in that display pic.....the locals are staring....with relentless, desperate stares.....watch out!! :P

Easy boy, something fishie going around here!!!

lol...i was talking about cars man..anyhow, thanks for the advice..bad news i do need a car..alot recommended a 4*4, addressing safety issue, as if its safer to drive a bigger car. Thanks all, do you all meet at a club or some sort of gathering every month or so or do you all just do online chatting?

Genie wrote:

Welcome Moe :D .....Regarding cars i would say only one thing-- drive safe!! I quote --"Figures just published and disclosed to PANA reveal that, according to the World Health Organisation (WHO) Libya has the second highest number of road accident in the Arab world"

Source- Tripoli.com
link to read more - http://www.tripolipost.com/articledetail.asp?c=1&i=1753

Lost 3 members of what?  The expat forum group?  Yikes.

Welcome Mo.

veechansa wrote:

Hey "30 yr old baby" :P...thanks for the heads up! But you know what..Actually its me staring back.. through the "mask"..:D BTW, enjoy the trip to Roman ruins ..

Sea Angel wrote:
Genie wrote:

Source- Tripoli.com
link to read more - tripolipost.com/articledetail.asp?c=1&i=1753

oops, by 'members out here' i meant people from Indian community living here. In one case both husband and wife were killed when they were hit by another vehicle..in another case, the lady was waiting by the road for taxi while she was hit by the speeding car. both cases resulted in instant death :(:( Nothing we could do.

Genie wrote:
Sea Angel wrote:
Genie wrote:

Source- Tripoli.com
link to read more - tripolipost.com/articledetail.asp?c=1&i=1753

oops, by 'members out here' i meant people from Indian community living here. In one case both husband and wife were killed when they were hit by another vehicle..in another case, the lady was waiting by the road for taxi while she was hit by the speeding car. both cases resulted in instant death :(:( Nothing we could do.

Condolences to their family members, it's sad how instant deaths can occur especially in this manner. Only if the person driving the car realized this.

According to the World Health Organisation, road accidents that occurred between 2003 and 2007 have killed 9,330 people and accidents, involving 77,507 vehicles in  Libya.

These high indicators have led Libyan authorities to take the phenomenon of road accidents very seriously and they have decided to organise, next month, a national conference to discuss this phenomenon in collaboration with international experts, aimed at shedding more light on safe driving.

Following this, the authorities are visiting Stoke on Trent in the UK where they will studying pottery.

moek i can see that you are egyption i dont think that life in libya is that deferent from egypt so you dont nead to feel lost and as long as you were driving in egypit so driving in libya is no big deal for you and since you have the same language that means you can deal with local ppl as you are one of them specialy that there is alot of egyption here in libya

They need a conference for this in England!   Between all of us, we certainly could tell them what needs to be done.   I'd almost do it for free!    Loved the pottery remark!!!!!:lol:

The traffic is terrible here but you get used to it. I have been driving here for one year and find it more convenient then getting around by Taxis.

Someone stole the mirror off my car yesterday. I can't imagine why, no local is ever going to use it :)

Mudman wrote:

Someone stole the mirror off my car yesterday. I can't imagine why, no local is ever going to use it :)

I don't believe this, Mudman are you daydreaming again? Who in this f*ck*** world will steal such a thing? It's really hard to take them of as well.

Mudman wrote:

OMG, this cracked me up when I read it.  Thanks for the laugh. :lol:

Astonished wrote:

I don't believe this, Mudman are you daydreaming again? Who in this f*ck*** world will steal such a thing? It's really hard to take them of as well.

They left the housing, just prised off the glass.
It'll probably be up on bricks when I leave tonight. :rolleyes:

Mudman wrote:
Astonished wrote:

They left the housing, just prised off the glass.
It'll probably be up on bricks when I leave tonight. :rolleyes:

Don't think so, they act fast you'll probably find it demolished!:))))

Mudman wrote:

I disagree. As everyone knows, mirrors in cars (or any shiny surface, in cars or indeed anywhere else) are a very useful tool in the armour of a suave young male libyan casanova (a.k.a  a Starer):cool:

ExpatLibyan wrote:
Mudman wrote:

I disagree. As everyone knows, mirrors in cars (or any shiny surface, in cars or indeed anywhere else) are a very useful tool in the armour of a suave young male libyan casanova (a.k.a  a Starer):cool:

Your probably the one that steals them!

Mudman wrote:

Could be one of the neighbours who's got a similar car and lost his mirror, saving money by not buying a new one.

mancunian wrote:
Mudman wrote:

Could be one of the neighbours who's got a similar car and lost his mirror, saving money by not buying a new one.

Yup, I mean there's alot of White Camrys in town!

Mudman wrote:

The driving out here is crazy, but you get used to it. I've been driving here for 2yrs and feel safer than if I let the company's drivers take me anywhere....

hear hear

Hey all. I'm new to Tripoli. Love it. Condolences to the families who lost loved ones. As for the mirror comment, I can relate. Vandals seem to have a propensity for BMW side view mirrors back home in SA.

hello and welcome in libya i hope you settle down easily. regarding buying cars i have a post on my blog that may be useful (about buying cars for libya). in a nutshell go for a white hyundai SUV.

call me for info in Tripoli
[Moderated: pls send details in private]

I'm very keen to meet people who come from a 'western(ised) country. Doesn't matter if they speak English as a first language or not. I was tasked to start a language school in Tripoli and I'm the only teacher at the moment.I ove Libya and its people, but I am missing people I share a cultural affinity with.