Missing! Anyone seen Steve Baruday? Maybe in Pana or by Lake Atitlan

Looking for my friend who went to Guatemala Late October.
Last heard he was headed to Panajachal around October 31.

Have not head from since, but he posted here before going down to Guatemala.

His name is Steve Baruday, white male, 60 years old, talks a lot.

Here is his profile and picture:

https://www.expat.com/forum/profile.php?id=701145

I will check back here if anyone posts they have seen him.

Hope some of the people from this board and live in the area may have seen him.

Thanks,
-Tampabooker

Hi Tampabooker,

I suggest you to post an advert in the section missing people in Guatemala.

This might surely help you to find your friend.

Thank you and good luck.

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

(Note that I have exchanged private messages with Tampabooker but this information seems to be of general interest.)

This morning I was talking with my neighbor who has lived on the lake for 15 years. He mentioned "problems" in Antigua. (Tampabooker told me he had heard from Steve when he was in Antigua.) Apparently there are lots of scams happening in Antigua, mostly targeting tourists. He mentioned there was an article in the paper (Presna Libre, I assume) about a new one yesterday. I did a quick look but didn't find it.

Bottom line is everything is "tranquilo" in Panajachel but, at least for the moment, it sounds like avoiding Antigua is a good idea. If you are in Antigua, deal with those who can be trusted -- not someone on the street.

If you are traveling in/through Antigua, deal with legitimate travel agencies. There are lots of them and some even speak English. If you need to travel from either Antigua or Guatemala City to Panajachel, there are shuttle vans (as well as public buses). They run multiple times a day. Any hotel should be able to book you passage on a shuttle. From Guatemala City to Pana will be from $20 to $30.

If you elect to take the public bus from Guatemala City, go to "Calle 41" (a taxi driver will understand "Calle 41 para los buses al oeste"). There are a few buses (five, I think) each day directly to Panajachel or take any bus that goes through Los Encuentros (Xela, Quiche and many others) to Los Encuentros and then either wait for a bus to Pana (probably every 30 minutes) or take the Sololá bus (leaving about every five minutes) and change buses at the end of the Sololá run for the Pana bus (leaving about every ten minutes). Total cost will be Q30 or less.

While this sounds complicated, it is not and both the legit shuttles and the public buses are safe and reliable. Anything else is, well, an unknown.

All that said, I hope Steve turns up safe and secure in Pana.

Hi nicafyl,

Thank you for the sharing of information.

However, I suggest you to create a new discussion as from your post on the Guatemala forum for better visibility and interaction.

This will also provide the members with useful information.

Thank you

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

I hope for your sake (and your friend's) that this info isn't relevant.   This morning when I went out on the docks at Santa Cruz (Lake Atitlan) there was a body floating in the water in front of La Iguana Perdida.  He was wearing black jeans, a blue t-shirt and tan boots.  The police finally arrived about an hour later and they took the body to the morgue in Pana.

That's all I know.  The police in Pana would be the ones to ask for more info.

So sorry your friend is missing and I sincerely hope this info isn't related to his disappearance.

Update!
Steve is found. He found his way to a computer and will be back in the states next week.
He overspent as it was his first trip but will be back looking for a better place.
Thanks to the board and everyone for your concern.

Glad and relieved to know ScifiSteve is ok :) Looks like the problems are at Lake Atitlan NOT Antigua! Wow!I have friends living in Antigua and have heard nothing bad, so let's keep it that way :)

I agree that "the Antigua problems" need their own thread but I feel it is important to respond because your statement that "there are no problems in Antigua" is way off base. There are big problems.

The removal of the alcalde and four others for corruption pretty much destroyed useful government functions. Here are just a few of the recent articles for those looking for facts:
  * http://www.prensalibre.com.gt/noticias/ … 98995.html -- Juez condena a cinco por corrupción en municipalidad de Antigua Guatemala
  * http://www.prensalibre.com.gt/noticias/ … 98684.html -- Irregular servicio de buses hacia Antigua Guatemala
  * http://www.prensalibre.com.gt/noticias/ … 98748.html -- Condenados por fraude en comuna de Antigua

Pretending there is no problem is a severe dis-service to people who depend on this site for facts.

I'm not pretending anything, nor intending to be a disservice to anyone, nor did I say there were no problems in Antigua -- there are problems everywhere on this planet, no city is immune. I said it "looks like there are no problems in Antigua," referring to the missing ScifiSteve and the floating dead body in Lake Atitlan.

As I do intend to live in Antigua, I welcome all info that is helpful, informative and has links. The links you posted are from October, which is pretty recent.

What is happening with the Antigua government now? A new mayor?

Thanks.

Dagny