Non EU Nationals to Live in Malta

Hello everyone,

Would you happen to know what is required for a non-EU national to live in Malta for 6 to 12 months?

Ntionalities that are considering to live in malta are American and Australian. They will not be working, as they will be supported by their husbands who reside in Tripoli, Libya.

Any help on the matter would be highly appreciated!

Thanks,
Haneen

Hi Haneen,

welcome to the forum.

They have to apply for residency as soon as possible after arrival. Their category would be as Economic Self-Sufficient and would be decided on a case-by-case basis. My guess is that they would be granted Temporary Residency for that period of time.

If they stay in Malta for more than 6 months in any one tax year they would be liable to pay income tax on income brought into Malta.

They would have to show adequate funds to pay for their stay and show health insurance during their stay in Malta.

You can check out the details here:

http://www.foreign.gov.mt/Library/Cit/CEA8-URP.pdf

Cheers
Ricky

Its not just "money" its aimed at "income" remitted to Malta that gets taxed - capital doesnt as far as i am aware. Maybe George can enlighten us.

yep, capital (or capital gains) brought into Malta are not taxed (if you are not a Maltese citizen) - what is taxed is income brought in, or earned in Malta.

If you bring in income you still may not get taxed - you have a tax free allowance, plus double taxation treaties means you can offset tax already paid in another country on that income

Thank you very much Ricky. Very valuable information. Appreciate it.

Regards,
Haneen

Hi Haneen,

Thanks.You're welcome.

Please let us know how things develop as feedback helps us answer future questions better and feel free if any other question come up.

Cheers
Ricky

hi

hi I have friend from non eu country and want to move to malta for long period. She want to continue her studies at University.So can you pls tell what she need like permits ,visas and which is best way

Maltano1

Hi Maltano,

which non-Eu country is your friend from ? Citizens of some countries can travel to Malta without a visa, most countries require a visa.

When your friend is in Malta he/she will have to apply for residency for study purposes and submit all necessary documents.

So it will be:

Apply at University and get accepted.
Apply for a visa to enter the Schengen area/Malta (if required)
When in Malta apply for residency

Cheers
Ricky

I am exploring information on Global Residency program and there is something that confuses me a lot about this program. It doesn't make any sense from my perspective to be paying EUR 15,000.00 annually, if I am going to live out of my overseas investment income in Malta. Let's say, I will be receiving EUR 25,000.00 per year as a capital gain elsewhere and paying more than 50% of it as tax in Malta doesn't look as a good idea at all. Am I missing something

Genych, you are right, "Malta doesn't look as a good idea at all" :)

Genych wrote:

Am I missing something

yes, the program is aimed at people with higher income :-)

Spiridonov, you're right. If that's true - there are far better options in Europe to retire than Malta. It won't be too easy for non-EU Canadians but at least nobody will be be robbing us annually by 15,000.00 Euros for nothing. You even have to buy your own health care insurance, if you live under this program in Malta.

georgeingozo wrote:
Genych wrote:

Am I missing something

yes, the program is aimed at people with higher income :-)

Even looking at this program (GRP) from a high income receiver perspective, it doesn't look very attractive to me as well. There are a lot better options for people with high income to save more on taxes and live in better conditions, I must say. I seriously doubt that this program will be popular among expats. Correct me, if I am wrong.

no, you are right, it isn't popular amongst non EU expats

hi please i am from cameroon i will to have a visa for malta to come live there and look for a job please help me

You will find it just about impossible to come to Malta.
You have to apply for your own visa AND have a job to come to.
I don't think anyone here can help.