Diplomatic Quarter

Hello,
My husband and I are considering a move to Riyadh. We would be staying in the diplomatic quarter, as this would be an embassy type position.
I am looking for any and all information about the Diplomatic Quarter that anyone has. i.e.
1. How long do people usually wait for housing? I know it can take awhile If your working for a private company but not sure If you are U.S. Govt.
2. Can I (the wife) drive? Even in the embassy areas...meaning not just whatever "neighborhood" I might live in.
3. Would my children be going to the schools in the DQ? Or at the international school out side of the DQ?
4. Do I need to wear an Abaya in the common areas outside of the housing areas?
5. Is it easy to get drivers If I need one?
6. Am I allowed to hire a nanny/housekeeper?
Hopefully some of you might have the answers to some of these questions.
Thank you for any info you have to offer
Nicki

Oh and also, am I allowed to go out by myself during the day. walking, shopping, girly things...lol

ThinkingAboutIt wrote:

Hello,
My husband and I are considering a move to Riyadh. We would be staying in the diplomatic quarter, as this would be an embassy type position.
I am looking for any and all information about the Diplomatic Quarter that anyone has. i.e.
1. How long do people usually wait for housing? I know it can take awhile If your working for a private company but not sure If you are U.S. Govt.
2. Can I (the wife) drive? Even in the embassy areas...meaning not just whatever "neighborhood" I might live in.
3. Would my children be going to the schools in the DQ? Or at the international school out side of the DQ?
Nicki

2. Women are not allowed to drive in KSA, and same goes for DQ. You may quench your driving thirst within compound ;)
3. International school [with American curriculum] are highly advised for better education for your kinds. I think there is one very good American school close to DQ
4. Yes, like every women, you need to wear abaya everywhere except your residence
5. It is very easy to get a driver, or to hire a cab
6. You're allowed to hire a housekeeper and ofcourse you can go out alone, shop and do girly things

And welcome to Saudi Arabia :)

try this link

this might help

Thank you very much for the responses. I have found so much conflicting information about the Diplomatic Quarter. So thank you very much!

Actually, I've seen female residents jogging through the DQ wearing capris and t-shirts!

ThinkingAboutIt wrote:

Thank you very much for the responses. I have found so much conflicting information about the Diplomatic Quarter. So thank you very much!

i'm not sure if you are thanking for being confused or for too much information? :P

I think I might just be overly polite....:)
But that thread was certainly informative! It seems like maybe some people post but don't have all the information..therefor giving misinformation. Which can be frustrating. But I DO appreciate anyone who is just trying to help someone out and tell them what they believe to be the truth.
My husband was able to access some information from his work computer that we could not from our home computer which validated the thread you sent.
So......Thank you very much!!!

ThinkingAboutIt wrote:

Hello,
Nicki

I live in the Diplomatic Quarter, hopefully, I can be some help to you;

1)  if your govt (working at an embassy) housing should be ready for you upon your arrival.  If not, you may be in a hotel close by but that shouldn't be for long.  A Govt posting is usually pretty seamless.
2)  I have seen female's driving in the DQ.  That being said......DONT DO IT!....the DQ Police have no problem making a capital case out of you.
3)  your choice!
4)  yes, and no......lol.  Again, i've seen females walking around the DQ not wearing an abaya.  That being said, unless you want to bring unwanted attention to yourself.....wear the abaya!
5)  depends.........you can hire one for your use...then yes.  If you rely on work to provide drivers, you may be waiting or their might be a schedule they follow
6)  Absolutely!

Hello Nicki
Wish you a smooth transition to the Kingdom.
I don't know if I'm reading too much into your posts but I sense that you are a bit nervous about this whole thing. You shouldn't be, you gonna love it here.

If you have more questions dont hesitate to ask.
Till then pay it forward

ThinkingAboutIt wrote:

It seems like maybe some people post but don't have all the information..therefor giving misinformation. Which can be frustrating.

Well, here's the thing:  this is a very 'contradictory' place.  What one person does and gets away with, another person might be arrested and deported LOL

Somebody earlier said you HAVE to wear an abaya;  I told you *I* have seen women jogging in capris, no abaya!  I think cdn makes the best case:  here, you want to draw as little attention to yourself as possible. That said, however, sometimes women get their backs up in the air and just say 'frig it'!  I know that's the case for many of us with covering our hair--we don't have to, in theory, but that leaves us wide open if the mutawa happen to be roaming the malls.  I prefer to take my chances with that--if they catch up with me and tell me to cover my head, I do--for a nanosecond--and uncover as they immediately whirl on their heels to chase some unsuspecting little Filipino woman!

cdn_expat-
Thank you so much..that is great info and advice. That is probably why I have been getting so much double info. People do it...but shouldn't..lol

Local Brownie-
YES! I am terrified, excited, sad, happy, nervous and a host of about every adjective there is...
But thank you so much for your reassurance. I honestly have read nothing but some pretty wonderful things on here. A lot of people seem to be bored though. But I am already a stay at home mom so I'm not too worried about that part.

Well...let's get this party started...sans the alcohol :)

I can definitely understand that! lol

Hi,

I'm looking for an apartment in the DQ area (diplomatic quarter) in Riyadh.

I'm also willing to pay the finer 15,000 SAR extra for helping me find a place quickly.

Thanks,
Fawaz

@ Fawaz > Please post your ad in the Housing in Riyadh section.

Thank you :)

Priscilla
Expat.com team