Favorite Expat Places to Live

At this time, I am in the exploration/discovery stage of becoming an expat.  What are the top 5 communities that you would suggest that I consider?  Here are my top priorities.

Preferably not a city
Safe
Moderate climate, not too hot or cold
Very reliable internet service since I work online

Thanks for your help.

Mary Beth

Hello mbcaffey and Welcome to Expat.com :)

I would suggest you to browse the following conversation for better insights:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=101759

I hope that the other members who have shared some expat experiences in Chile would help you in your quest.

Thanks and Regards

Karen :)

Hi Mary Beth,

I am planning to move to Chile in December with my daughter.  We are looking for a place to rent with a little yard for our 4 rescued animals: 2 rabbits and 2 chickens.

What so you plan to do for work when you arrive?

All the best,

Carol

I am probably going to move to Panama instead of Chile, in early 2015, but I am a copywriter and work from home.  Thankfully, I can work anywhere.

Interesting animals you have there:)

Mary Beth Caffey

I was considering Panama until Dr. Rima pointed out that there is less radiation (from Fukushima, etc.) in the southern hemisphere.  She relocated her medical practice from the U.S., to Panama, and then a year ago to Chile.

Great to hear from you, and all the best!

Carol

Thanks for that info.  Chile is still in my top 3 possibilities.  We'll see how it all works out.

Mary Beth Caffey

Hi carol
I am moving to chile in February next year were a outs did you move to I am looking at  Serena have you been there ? Regards john

Hi John,

You may beat me getting there.  I'm looking at July. 

I'm having difficulty getting info. on bringing my 4 rescued sweeties with me: 2 chickens and 2 rabbits.  I'm getting the run around big time.  Ecuador and Mexico are now the two top considerations for me. 

I went to a big "International Living" conference in Las Vegas three weeks ago and got a lot of info.  There were no reps from Chile there.

Where are you getting your info.?  Any good sources I should know about?

Carol

Hi carol
I currently  live in the gulf of Thailand  Ecuador  is not for me after doing extensive research and international living are making money out of trying to push the place !! Chile is like a first world country from what I have been told by many friends that have moved there and it's easy to emigrate to  and the people are friendly and helpful  I am looking to be north of Santiago some were on the coast many beautifully places there .look at the chille forums and google images of the towns name then do the research on the town the further north you go the cheaper it becomes  what do you want to do there ?
Regards john

Hi John,

My main agenda is to be somewhere else.  Because my Spanish is o.k., and Central and South America are fairly close I am considering going there.  My main priorities are being able to take my pets without them having to go into quarantine, and finding a university for my daughter.  With Chile we were hitting a brick wall with taking our animals and not having them in quarantine.  My first choice was Uruguay, but I couldn't get much info. from them on the animal issue.  Most countries require a certain income, and Ecuador has a lower requirement than most.  I have an Herbalife business which I've had for 24 years.  The company is open in all of Central and South America.  While building up the business again, I thought I would teach English and perhaps have a small vegetarian eatery, depending on what the local requirements are for having such a business.  What about you?

Carol

Hi carol
I have a dive resort on a island here but I am tired of Asia ! I will look for business oppertunities when I am there not in a rush time to start working smart not hard !! Surely you can get chickens and rabbits wherever you go I certainly would not let them determine my future after all they don't live that long sorry but you have to think about yourself before a chicken !
You need to look at what you want I want good medical and secure politics and economic freedom and stability chile offers all and it's the fastest growing economy in Latin America this is why more Americans are moving there and it has proper supermarkets restauraunts etc
Regards john

If you still thinking on that, I recommend you Viña del Mar (is near to international airport, beach, good people , but is city where live 300.000 people), Puerto Varas, La Serena, Valdivia, are good places too.

But about towns mmm... Con-Cón is one of the best places to live in Chile, almost all Americans love Valparaíso too, because it looks like San Francisco in US (... but the Chilean version!). San Pedro de Atacama is a good place too mystic! and Talca is a chilean traditional town.

Here there is 2013 rankings about best places:

RANKING BEST PLACE TO LIVE

1°    Viña del Mar
2°    La Serena
3°    Valparaíso
4°    Valdivia
5°    Concepción
6°    Iquique
7°    Arica
16°    Santiago

RANKING BEST PLACE TO WORK
1°    Viña del Mar
2°    Santiago
3°    Antofagasta
4°    La Serena
5°    Iquique
6°    Valparaíso
7°    Calama

BEST PLACE TO STUDY
1°    Santiago
2°    Viña del Mar
3°    Valparaíso
4°    Concepción
5°    Valdivia
6°    La Serena
7°    Antofagasta

BEST PLACE TO VISIT
1°    Viña del Mar
2°    Valparaíso
3°    La Serena
4°    Valdivia
5°    Puerto Montt
6°    Concepción
7°    Iquique

...! I checked the ranking of Work... and I think that Santiago is the best place to work in Chile, it has 5.4% of unemployed, Viña del Mar has like 9-10%. About english languaje, in Santiago are all the big companies, where always need people with english language.

Regard!

Ricardo

Chile is not "first world".  To see the malls and tourist areas, it would be easy for one to draw that conclusion.
The way of thinking here is different and can be superficial in its kindness.  This is not to say that I have not met fantastic nationals.  The differences become more apparent with time and experience.
Also, if you are accustomed to efficient public services - this will also be a point of frustration.  It is always "someone else' job/responsibility/fault etc... What should be a straight forward transaction can leave you pulling out your hair in frustration.
The cost of living here is very high.  With children, you must take into consideration the costs of private/international schools unless the child(ren) are fluently Spanish speaking and public schools will serve.

Hi Carol,

I cannot tell you whether the importation of chickens and rabbits is complicated, but if you love animals you may find yourself adopting several dogs/cats here. Very disturbing to see the neglect of animals here - specifically the street dogs.  There are a few animal activist groups here who are doing their best to improve the situation. Alas, they are but a few in a society that, at best ignores the animals completely or find horrible ways to rid themselves of them (dog culls). Yet, they do not bother with sterilization.  Again, speaking of the majority and not all.