Current social situation in Kabul

Hi

I am a doctor, a Psychiatrist

Recently i got an offer to work as consultant Psychiatrist at KAISHA HOSPITAL in KABUL near SHAM-E-PARIS restaurant.

The offer is good with handsome salary in US$, furnished accomodation, Food and transportation facility.

I am confused about safety in current situation.

Can you people advise me what's the present scenario?How's the hospital?

Hello Pacific

Your job offer sounds like a very good one and your services are much needed in Afghanistan. Sorry I dont know this hospital.  Peole tend to over react to the security situation there. You have much more chance having a bad car wreck in yur own country then ever having anything bad happen in Kabul!  There are nice restaurants, social gatherings, etc all over town so you can have  nice life outside of work, Sadly most expats are scared, or their own security doenst allow them to go anywhere. What is the point in working abroad if you can not experience the country? Afghanistan is a beautiful country with a lot to offer. Kabul itself also has many nice historical tourist sites to visit in your down time. Its a matter of common sense, living there - Dont walk around alone at night, and avoid driving near US miitary convoys.  Avoid US installations, - most of them are outside of the city environs anyway. Afghan people are very friendly and helpful, workign with thim is a very reqarding experience.  Also, in run up to elections, avoid any government big gatherings or offices, these will all be targeted by various bad groups, and the entire election proccess is an unknown, so avoid it all. Do take the job, you wil not regret your choice and you will meet so many interesting people. Taimani or wazir Akbar Khan are the nicest areas to live in. Winter is very cold there! Let me know how you get on - Mare

Thanks ME travel

very useful and nice information!! well is it advisable to bring spouse here or it's better to live alone and do the required work only!

Hi again,  Well I think it totally depends upon your spouse, and if whe is interested to live in such a country. Probably she could also find work once she got to know her way around, it would be boring there with nothing to do, if you were at work all day.  of course for women, it can be a bit difficult and the men stare all the time when you are out and about ...one gets used to it though, She must dress conservative, long sleeves, loose clothing and cover hair when outside of the home or office. There are plenty of expat activites to do, even yoga and salsa dance classes! probably once you are set up in kabul, she ought to come visit and see what she thinks ...food and all that is all available , but imported stuff is expensive.  and when she got tired of it, dubai is only a 2 hour flight away so its a good weekend escape! if she has questions, no problem , she can direct them to me.  Mare

Hi all, I am also an expat in Kabul. Just arrived and going to stay here for 2 years. I am female so it would be great to meet other expats here. Are there any social events for expats? Thanks!

Hi Tiana

I hope you enjoy Kabul. Sadly Im not there anymore, although if I were to find a new job there, Id be back . ...I enjoyed my time there.  First of all, you should go to the Kabul Hash,, its every Friday afternoon, great bunch of people and bbq after every hash meet .They meet for the walk and run at a different location each week..Google Kabul Hash Harriers - KHH.  I dont have current contact guy info for the Hash, you will have to ask around to get on their mailing list ... Best bar to hang out at is Gandemak Lodge, you will meet everyone worth knowing if you go here regularly.  there are lots of house parties, once you get to know ppl, you will get invited ...There is also salsa dance and yoga classes,, but Im not sure of class locations, as it canges quite a bit ...the Chinese restaurant, Golden Key is also a popular hang out , esp frieday afternoons for brunch. If you have lots of money, you can join the gym at the Serena Hotel ....If your work  is miliray or embassy -related, you will automatically meet lots of expats, but then again, your movement will be restriced, what is your work? If like me, you were freelance there, and could go where you want, when and how you want with no or very limited security, you can have a great time in kabul ...If you are trapped with strict security measures, then it will be difficult, and you will feel like a prisoner. Let me know how you get on - Mare

yes how can i help you could send me your phone number please

Hi Tania
i can assist you to introduce you with Expat in Shirpoor and wazir akbar khan i knew alots, send me your phone number please

Hello,

I got a job Offer from Earnest & Young to work as Internal Auditor in Kabul for a Mobile company, salary is good in my standard!!!! they r also providing Food & accommodation.......but my concern is over Security,is it safe in Kabul now??  I have heard recently Taleban's are targeting foreigners.........is it true?? how safe is it to stay there.

I understand there is not gonna be much fun out there but can I buy Alcohol for personal consumption?? If yes,from where?? Can I walk around the city on my own?? I am of Bangladeshi nationality........

Thanks
Imran

Hello,

I got a job Offer from Earnest Young(Pakistan) to work in Afghanistan as Audit Supervisor for a year. I have no idea about the current security situation in Afghanistan, what we see on Media is not very nice.......I m confused on the security & safety issue,Can anyone help pls?? Could u pls let me know how is the situation there?? I m Of Bangladeshi nationality.

Thanks
Imran

Hi.. I used to live in Kabul from 2011-13, and now I am also returning next week for a new job,  The security situation there has gone really down hill. You will have a security provider and probably you will only be able to go to work and office. No you can t buy alcohol unless you have some good contacts for the black market. And its very expensive. Also try to get to Golden Key Chinese restaurant, the owner serves,  and might sell you some if she has spare  . Most restaurants and the pub that used to be in Kabul have now closed. No, I doubt you will be able to walk on the street, and yes, you will be seen as a target as foreign. Most Afghans are very friendly but you never know when an incident will happen, or where ...You will get security alerts on ur mobile phone .... Maybe you can also visit The Baron, its a hotel  and does have a bar but Im not sure if its open to non residents. Where will you stay?  Sorry to say, but you wont have the fun like we used to have living there ; it used to be much freer and choices of places to go, but not much anymore .....Just save your money, and look at it as an experience for a year or 2 ...and enjoy your home leaves!  regards, Mare

wow.........u r quick, many thanks for ur quick reply and I m getting butter flies in my stomach.
Is the security situation really bad?? Should I take the risk of travelling there?? I don't wanna risk my life for Money....I can stay put in a compound for a year if I get fast internet connection but if u think it's even risky to stay in the compound & travel to & from office....I m not going there..lol!!!!....really appreciate your help.

Regards
Imran

HI Oh no, don't panic ..You are working for a major company and they will have an excellent security company for you who will oversee everything for you and your work commute and anywhere you need to go. You might even have use of an armoured car!   When u fist arrive the security manager will give you a briefing and at that time, you will learn how restricted will be your movements.  Its a shame, but for now, just don't expect to get around too much ..it might get better in the future, and there are a few restaurants still open . ...But I used to go sightseeing, horse riding,  and to countryside picnics  on Fridays ( the day off) but now I don't expect that will be possible ....You must not worry, in ur work and home , you will be fine, maybe get a bit bored though, so bring books or a kindle and make sure ur accommodation has good TV! Internet wont be a problem.  It will be a good opportunity and of course you will save all your money. There are 2 or 3 big, international super markets/ dept stores, so you can buy specially imported stuff in these shops. I do have some friends buying alcohol there; its still available, so you can get in touch with me end of this month, and Ill tell you who to call ....Cash is everything, no credit card facilities, and imported things are very costly.   Bring as much as you can with you, not much in way of clothing shops either and it will be very cold until March.   Make sure your company gives you health insurance, as you will probably get sick with flu, or chest problems, The air pollution is terrible so most people suffer some respiratory problems and have to go to the doctor; there are international medical clinics there too. Im sure the experience will be fine for you ...Where do you live now?  Mare

Metravel........u r a star,just saved my back!!! Many thanks for sharing ur knowledge & experience,can I have ur email address pls so that I can contact u directly once I get the clearance  to come to kabul and the employer wants me to go there by mid February.

sure, you can get me on [email protected] Ill be in Kabul by next week, so let me know any other questions and we can meet up when u get to town .You didn't say from where are you? Im in S Africa ......talk soon, Mare

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply,didn't check my inbox for last 2 days!!! According to E&Y I need to be in Kabul by late February but I haven't signed the contract yet.  I m from Bangladesh but I had my education from UK and stayed there for long ,so understand a bit how it roles in the west!!
I am a qualified Chartered accountant, love exploring new countries and culture but don't wanna take too much risk for the buzz though!!! U r one of the most helpful person I have ever come across in any Blog.......pls keep it up, take care & stay in touch.

Thanks
Imran