How could i get a bank account?

hi there i am sam

i just arrived in bali 3 months ago,
i already rent a house for the next year, so i plan to stay as long as possible,
i'll work as dive masters from april to september at least, means that i 'll get my salary in idr
so my question is how can i open a bank account and what about the rules??

thanks   best regards    sam

The bank will ask to see your KITAS/KITAP.
BCA are popular and I have had no problems with them.

hey thanks fred,

i heard that if i don't have any kitas, i should have a sponsor to get bank account?
does it true?

Don't use a "sponsor" to obtain a bank account.

If you're legally working here in Bali you should already have a KITAS visa AND a working permit.  A KITAS visa is all that is required for a foreigner to open a bank account.

If you're illegally working here...no KITAS visa and no work permit, then the chances are very good that you'll eventually get caught and be facing up to 5 years in prison, and a US $50,000.00 fine. 

Pay heed to my advice…dive operation businesses here in Bali are EXTREMELY competitive, and if a competitor even sniffs the chance that you are illegally working here…you are toast.

I agree with Pak Fred, BCA is an excellent bank, and they've been my bank of choice for over 15 years.

Hello all,

I am also currently looking to open a USD bank account in bali. I have a Marriage Kitas.
I am looking for a bank that does not have too high cost of maintenance but still gives me a card for me to make online purchases and e-banking.
Also any idea on the minimum balance required?
Thanks

Refer to your other post on this topic.

One point comes to mind.
This is Indonesia, so why would you want a USD account if you live here?

"One point comes to mind.
This is Indonesia, so why would you want a USD account if you live here?"

Simply because a lot of us who live here, and who do business here are often paid in US funds and have to settle accounts outside of Indonesia in US funds. 

I love Indonesia too Fred, but try sending a couple of billion IDR to Christies in New York City.  The banks in NYC will only make mince meat of the IDR, and their highly unfavorable exchange rate can easily add 5% to the total bill.