Top hiring sectors in Java

Hi,

let's talk about job opportunities in Java.

What are the top hiring sectors?

And according to you, what are the most promising job sectors, which will keep creating jobs in Java?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience,

Julien

culinary section,such as restaurant and education

Textile & Garment Industry. Places like Semarang,Solo, Jogjakarta, Pekalongan, Bandung, Bekasi etc has plenty of Textile Mills & Garment Manufacturing large factories dedicated to Export market.

Hi Julien,

We've been over this before when you posted similar questions pertaining to job opportunities in Jakarta, and again in Surabaya.

Assuming that you are asking about job prospects for foreigners, (would be expats), the answer remains the same…there are precious little chances for a foreigner being hired in Indonesia unless they posses specialized skills or work experience that isn't otherwise available in the Indonesian work force.  This is the case all over Indonesia but particularly so in the heavily populated areas of Java and Bali.

Thanks icecreamjohahae, Nagina and Ubudian for your replies

Ubudian, your reply totally makes sens, I just thought recruiting sectors may differ a bit depending on where you are in the country.

there are precious little chances for a foreigner being hired in Indonesia unless they posses specialized skills or work experience that isn't otherwise available in the Indonesian work force

Which kind of specialized skills might be required ?

Thanks again,

Julien

“Which kind of specialized skills might be required ?”

Just off the top of my head Julian I can think of a few…

Specialized engineers.  You'll see this is lot in the mining, oil and natural gas industry here as well in some specialized construction projects (like the new Ngurah Rai airport here in Bali).

Native English speaking teachers.  They are particularly sought after in the private school sector.

CEO and top executive positions with large multinational companies.  These jobs are usually found in Jakarta.

GM and sometimes the executive chef positions with the high star resort grade chains like Aman Resorts, Four Seasons, etc. 

The point is, Indonesia is not the place to go looking for a start up job or even a job in middle management as there are plenty of qualified Indonesians looking to fill those positions.

most " native " English Language Teaching posts are now taken by Native English Speakers from the Phillipines

Are you sure? I would agree if schools are looking for specific types of teacher such as math or science but immigration are really cracking down on those teaching English in private schools who are not from the five countries recognised here (USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the UK). Also with the lack of a government syllabus in most elementary schools for English there has also been a slight shift to how useful expat teachers are there as well.

The new education policy has only naffed up government schools but it's commonly private schools that hire expats so little change is likely.
As was mentioned, there do seem to be a lot of teachers from Phil E. Peens about (I met a load when I lived near Binus in BSD) but I have no clue as to numbers.
They're probably cheaper.

As for the policy in government schools.
The education lot need to learn how to google.
If they do, they could see the results of scrapping English in Malaysia and HK.

Expat positions Oil and gas:
Project Management. Geologist. QA/QC Manager. Engineering. Construction Manager. Commissioning Manager. Senior Trade positions.

Drilling and Exploration Management.

Areas where Indonesians are making good progress:
Planning. Scheduling.Design...particularly ACAD. IT.
In fact just about any field that requires advanced computer expertise.
Drillng and Exploration Teams.

Luke, my thoughts exactly…”are you sure?”…this of course regarding native English speaking teachers from the Philippines.   

On Java, maybe, I don't know, but on Bali…the next one I meet will the first.  On Bali, virtually every expat English teacher I've met either came from OZ (most frequent), the UK, the US or Canada.

Hello everybody,

Thank you all for your contribution. :)

Priscilla
Expat.com team