127v // 220v

Hello Brazil.

Has anyone heard of an adapter that converts? Or is necessary for an electrician to install an outlet? It is for a microwave ... NOT a DC regulated device.

Matt-

Hi Matt,

Are you looking for a reduction transformer to reduce 220v down to 127v? They are quite common and generally available at many construction material stores or electrical supply outlets too. They're a simple plug in device used here for refrigerators, washing machines and microwave ovens that aren't bi-volt.

I'm not sure about step-up transformers from 110v to 227v however, I think they'd be extremely hard to find.

Cheers,
James

Actually I need to go from 127v to 220v. My new apartment does not have 127v but my microwave is 127v. Ironically the refrigerator is 127v but uses the old two prong cable. My microwave uses the three prong.

Ok, so let me see if I have your situation right. Your new apt. has 220v and you have a 127v refrigerator and microwave. In which case then you need to buy a step-down (reduction) transformer, actually 2 of them. One for the fridge and for that you shouldn't need more than an 800 watt output. Depending on the power requirements of the microwave you might need a 1000 watt output transformer for the microwave. You will need to look at the manual to see what the energy reqirement in watts is for the highest cooking setting.

Make it clear to the vendor that you are going from 220 volt service to 127 volt appliances.

Also you can't just plug both appliances into the same transformer since if they are both operating at the same time they may overload the transformer. If you're only using the microwave for short periods then you could theoretically just unplug the fridge and use the same tranformer while you run the microwave, but you must consider that every time you unplug and plug in a fridge you run the risk of burning out the thermostat so you're better off spending the extra for a separate tranformer for the micro.

Cheers,
James

Here is the thing, I have been two FOUR construction stores. None of them sell the reduction transformer, or heard of it for that matter. I have been with a translator too. It isn't rocket science is it? I knew what I needed but apparently here they just rip the middle prong out of the plug. That is what EVERYONE is tell me to do! Remove the middle prong and plug it in. I guess I like to do things the correct day without possibly destroying my overpriced microwave, electrocuting myself, or burning down my condo building.

The middle prong is only a ground wire. It has absolutely nothing to do with the voltage. You can't use 127 volt appliances on 220 volt service.

Check the following site, this is what you need. You may need to call them and have it shipped, but it should be availiable somewhere in Manaus.

http://www.ligacao.com.br/Busca/?BuscaVC=auto+transfor

As it turns out Manaus is converting from 220V to 127V. Fortunately everything I own is 127V including my blender which was my test dummy. Hotels still commonly use 220V but most houses and condo buildings have already been converted. The only problem is the outlets which are up to the owners and property companies to convert to three prong Type J. There is apparently no rush as the solution is to remove the ground.

My concern was the voltage. Issue resolved.

FOR ANYONE ELSE, CHECK BEFORE YOU ASSUME YOUR HOUSE IS 127V! NOT EVERYONE IS USING 127V IN MANAUS

Sad to say that with something as basic as electric energy there is no such thing as a "National Standard", like most civilized countries have, here in Brazil.

How a nation can expect to enter the "First World" when they haven't got everybody on the same page of the songbook I'll never be able to figure out.

I gave up on national standards long ago. The only 'National Standard' here is bureaucracy. ;)

It really is confusing though... Hotels still have 220 but some houses have 127 and some 220. I don't think there is a city or state standard either.

usmc_mv wrote:

I gave up on national standards long ago. The only 'National Standard' here is bureaucracy. ;)

You shouldn't complain about national standards, being from a country that doesn't even have a national language :D

what is the purpose of using 127/220v 60hz? and what is the advantage of this?
can anybody answer my question? thanks a lot..

Actually there is absolutely no difference and no advantage either way, not anywhere in the world. This has always been a matter of local policy and/or historical "accident" worldwide.

To understand this all you must understand that we don't pay for Volts, but rather on Watts of consumption and this remains constant regardless of what the voltage of the system is.

Let's suppose you have a 110/127 Volt service and an electrical shower that is 2,200 Watts to generate that amount of energy you need to use 20 units (Amps) of current 110 X 20=2200.

A shower that is 220 V  with the same wattage will require only 10 units (Amps) of current to produce the same wattage 220 X 10=2200. But in the end they cost us exactly the same amount to operated because we pay on the watts used.

If there is any advantage to either it is minimal at best, in that some major appliances such as electric stoves and clothes dryers (not common at all in Brazil) may work slightly better on 220 Volts than similar appliances wired for 110 Volts.

There is however a great disadvantage to the higher voltage, in that a shock from 220 Volts is twice as potent and dangerous than from 110 Volts.

In Brazil there is really no rhyme or reason as to which you are going to find where you live. Some cities use 110/127 while others use 220. Some cities use both which can be a real problem if your outlets aren't clearly marked since connecting a lower voltage appliance to a higher voltage will destroy it and potentially cause a fire.

Cheers,
James      Expat-blog Experts Team

follow up question sir:

i'm here in  saudi arabia, and the single phase running at 127 volts and we are using 110v ballast for fluorescent, the case is, lots of fluorescent are busted and there is no available 127v ballast in the market, what should be the best thing that we need to do?

I really don't kinow the answer to that Patrick, I'm not an electician. I only know the previous information because I looked it up out of curiosity when I moved here to Brazil and found that the whole country was literally a "patchwork quilt" when the subject was 110/127/220 Volt electrical service.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

ok sir,,, thank you for sharing you knowledge to us...
God bless...

You could spend a lot of $ on one large step down transformer to convert power for your entire apartment, or you could buy appliances that were designed for the voltage supplied by your power company. If you use a simple adapter you will burn up anything with a motor unless that motor's nameplate lists the actual voltage you are plugging it into. Some devices can run on both voltages, but not your microwave.

Hi there
if your still looking for the transformer to step up from 110 volts to 220 volts or looking to step down from 220 volts to 110 volts
just buy one step up and step down transformer there the same thing, I know I have one
there come in lots of different wattage I have the 3 KVA
the biggest one ive seen was 10 KVA