Live peacefully in Costa Rica

American and legal resident in Philippines, Las Pinas married for over a year to Philippine wife.  I am retired 71 years old wife 28 and we wish to either immigrate visa vi pension style to Costa Rica or have been told just to apply for Tourist Visa to USA and then immigration visa once their with my grown children etc. Or apply for a transit visa through LA etc due to expensive no transit visa requirements in parts of Europe...plus a long trip.

Secondly, My wife and I own a small cafe and have lease on our condo in Las Pinas...have ties to Philippines nevertheless don't want the hassle of USA immigration to say no she can't come to America...when we have illegals by the dozen walking across every day...so my friends need your advise..I don't have to immigrate to USA just live peacefully in Costa Rica and after 2 years married to my wife I was told they will issue a green card and immigration then? 

We are ready to leave Phil...as it is not healthy and I miss my children and grandchildren in USA...HELP...don't want to leave my wife back in Las Pinas...love her so much.

Harold

I wish you much success. There is a growing population of Filipinos in Costa Rica. Many are there to work in call centers. There are agencies/attorneys who will look for jobs for you. I do not like them much. They charge a lot. But they are an option.

You probably know that a Filipina can vacation is CR without a visa for 30 days. If you can afford it and want to stay longer all you have to do is leave before the end of the 30 days. You leave for three days and come back - most people travel to Panama or Nicaragua because it is cheap to do so.

I talked with the Philippine US Ambassador last summer. He stated that for a single Filipina to get a visa to the US would be next to impossible. Even a transit visa to come through the U.S. to CR. Which is the route that most flights take.

The other option is both you and her can apply for residency. You would need much paperwork to do this. But it can be done. I have just done it. I think I have a very good attorney. To apply for residency can cost between $1000 and $5000. She can do it from the Phils. You need a good CR attorney to get it done.

Please feel free to write me at [email protected]. If I can help I will.

Take care and God bless
Wayne

Hi Harold,

As you posted on an old thread, I created a new discussion as from your post on the Costa Rica forum for better visibility and interaction.

Thank you and best of luck,

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team