How much max cash (SAR) can you carry on yourself while leaving KSA?

Let's say if you're leaving for 2-3 weeks on single e/e? I feel like reading somewhere an upper limit of 25K SR? is it so? would really appreciate prompt answers! It would be an icing on the cake if someone could point the source as well like MOFA website link etc.?

thanking in anticipation!

Why would you carry SAR out of KSA?  It's virtually worthless in other countries.  Even if you can get it exchanged you will get shafted on the rate.

Better to carry out dollars, euros or pounds...and general international laws limit you to below 10,000USD in cash before declaring it.

Yeah true; it virtually is. I just need a confirmed source i.e. how much is the upper limit in here? even in terms of US$, although you're right it's about 10 grand at max internationally. However, it's the 'Kingdom' we're dealing in. How much do 'they' allow. Don't want to be shocked or shock the immigration officer :)

It is not leaving that is the problem... It is arriving in your destination where issues might arise I assume...

Depending on what country you are traveling to, the maximum allowable limit without having to declare is different...but I think it would be safe to assume that 10,000 USD or thereabouts might be standard...

Also, if you are arriving somewhere as a tourist or temporary traveler, the laws concerning declarable cash and assets vary. For instance, a person entering the US on a business visa who is not a citizen has to declare any amount over 10,000 USD, however they will not be taxed on it I believe... They may be questioned regarding why they have such a large amount.

Lastly, I would be remiss if I did not say that traveling witg large amounts of cash is a bad idea all around. Traveler's checks tend to be the safest route.

Yes Friends,

carrying cash in large amount while travelling is bit risk what ever currency it is. Sometimes you will be asked to declare the amount too depend on the amount.
I think, we better carry Visa electron/Credit card instead.

The declarable limit for Saudi Air ports is 60,000 SAR.

If you carry more than that, you have to fill in a declaration form.

It is a good idea to carry your offer letter with you, so the custom officials can see you are capable of earning what you are carrying, else they assume you have stolen the money.

I have carried more amount than that, and no one checked however I assume there is a first time for every thing.

Secondly you need to worry about laws of your destination country, how much do they allow you to carry without declaring.

Thirdly it is a bad idea to carry cash. You may loose it, theft, you may have an accident.. loose life etc etc etc. In which case all of it will go to waste.

best regards

Hi salman108,

This is to inform you that it is an old topic, you may start a new discussion on the Riyadh forum.

Also note that a few off topic posts have been removed from this discussion.

Thank you,

Christine
Expat.com Team

you can carry cash and gold worth of 30k  at a time single person if you are with ur family then they might not calculate value of gold if its in shape of jewelry

harooon wrote:

Let's say if you're leaving for 2-3 weeks on single e/e? I feel like reading somewhere an upper limit of 25K SR? is it so? would really appreciate prompt answers! It would be an icing on the cake if someone could point the source as well like MOFA website link etc.?

thanking in anticipation!

No more then 60k SAR or equivalent.

I've carried amounts equal to the limit (or sometimes a smidge more) across borders and never had to declare a thing. I usually keep a big wad in my cargo pants thigh pocket which is closed with a button or velcro. The beauty, when traveling, of cargo pants is the number of pockets and the inside tie which renders a belt redundant. ;)

Several times I've been checked by airport security and they had a good feel of that pocket, never stopping to ask what was in there. I imagine I wasn't the first leaving a GCC country with more money than when I'd entered!

dear one of my friend asked my how much currency he can carry with him while leaving saudi arabia then i told him equivalant to= 60000 saudiriyal,and he said if few thousans more, then to declare it to airport is must and what are the consequences if near 70000 saudi riyals and after informing them

what due you mean by 25k sr

Why are people carrying so much cash to begin with?  Don't banks exist anymore?  What if you lose it, it gets stolen, or the plane crashes?

Trapezius wrote:

Why are people carrying so much cash to begin with?  Don't banks exist anymore?  What if you lose it, it gets stolen, or the plane crashes?

Why are people carrying so much cash to begin with? Various reasons. Personally I don't trust the banks' money-laundering or other automatic checks. 'Large cash sum from a KSA personal account? Investigate!'

Don't banks exist anymore? See above.

What if you lose it, You're an idiot

it gets stolen, See above

or the plane crashes? It'd be the least of your worries.

If a person is robbed by an armed robber, I don't think the victim can be called an idiot.  Well, not for being robbed, but yes, definitely an idiot for carrying so much cash.

And if the plane crashes, yes, it will be the least of your worries, but your surviving heirs will definitely call you an idiot, and rightfully so.  Unless of course you are one of those recluses who goes through life alone with 3 cats.  Even then, the money could be put to good use, such as giving it to distant relatives and/or charities.

I think it's good to be cautious and take calculated risks. The risk of being on an airliner that goes down is lower today than it has ever been. I think most families wouldn't be lamenting a loved one's passing less than the loss of some money. Who, apart from the most money-grabbing, greedy relative, will bring into doubt the intelligence of a family member after hearing of their death? Certainly no-one I know. You can always replace cash but never a loved one.

The risk of being robbed going to/from an airport is low unless you're visiting a dangerous country or traveling alone very late at night in a dodgy neighborhood, rather than in a taxi. In which case I agree your actions are idiotic, but a single act does not make one an idiot. The risk of being robbed in an airport or on a plane must be tiny.

I appreciate that carrying lots of money is not as safe as wiring it, as I'm sure do those who do the same on a regular basis. How is this different to having expensive (uninsured) jewelry or gadgets, except that you'd be keeping your cash well under wraps?

If you want some help .. I can carry as much as you want . Or you can take them out by yourself. I have friends working there.