Unskilled labor jobs in Iceland?

Hi, I am a 21 year old from Wisconsin, interested in visiting/permanently moving to Iceland. I was just wondering if anyone had any idea of how hard it is for an American to land a job over there? I do not at the moment possess a college degree, and I understand that jobs are almost always offered to people in the EU first, but is it completely unrealistic for an American to try and find some sort of unskilled labor work in Iceland? Any responses would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the forum intothewild!

I hope other members will have answers to your questions and be able to advise you ;)

Have a nice day
Armand

you might be able to find a summer job in the tourist services but it's definitely not the greatest time for non-EEA unskilled labour. Could you perhaps figure out an internship type thing through your school?

what kind of unskilled labour did you have in mind anyway?

Anything really...i guess i was thinking more along the lines manufacturing or farming. I've heard jobs can be found in fish factories or on farms and things like that, though I don't know how accurate that is.

much of the fish processing now happens onboard the ships, but here's a list of companies involved in fish processing of some kind. I have no idea if they hire outside of EEA countries easily though:

randburg.com/is/fisheries/fishprocessing.html

I also know of a bunch of foreigners that come here for the lamb slaughter season in the autumn but I'm not sure how much experience is expected from those guys. Here's some agricultural product companies.

randburg.com/is/index/commerce/agriculture.html

have you also considered checking out WWOOF? I don't know what kind of presence they've got here but it's worth a shot.

there's not much in the way of manufacturing going on here that I know of. The smelters employ people but I'm pretty sure those jobs mostly go to locals.

Dear Sir/Madan , I am a 36 year old from Lesotho , interested to work in Iceland. I realy need to work there my country in smale contry and life is not easy to us all so means of getting job is not easy, In my country civillization is little bit slowly so I understand that jobs are almost always offered to people in the EU first, but is it completely unrealistic for Lesotho to try and find some sort of unskilled labor work in Iceland? Any responses would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Trying to find unskilled labor even as an EEA citizen is difficult now, especially this time of year (many unskilled jobs are related to tourist and/or construction season, which is pretty much over for this year).

The challenge for you is getting a visa. There is a "shortage of labor" visa for unskilled work, but I have never heard of anyone actually being in Iceland on that visa.

you can read more about visa types here:

http://utl.is/index.php?lang=en

This is very simple.
EU/EEA citizens can move freely and work anywhere they want in EU/EEA area. That equals US citizens can work and move freely inside the US.

If you are from outside the EU/EEA area, getting a Visa is almost impossible. Unless you are a very skilled worker and you position can't be filled with workers from EU. Same rules are for EU/EEA citizens wanting to have a job in the US, it is impossible! 

You have to options:
You can get married to a EU/EEA citizen.
Or go to school in Iceland (or anywhere in Europe), on a student visa you can work 20hours a week.
Contact the university of Iceland, tell them you want to take classes in Icelandic for foreigners , and you have you student visa. 

When you have you visa getting an unskilled job shouldn't be hard. If you speak English you can get a job easily in the catering/tourist industry.

MY NAME IS EDWIN AND I COME FROM AFRICA PRECISELY CAMEROON,I KNOW IT IS VERY DIFFICULT TO GET A JOB IN ICE LAND FROM AFRICA,BUT I STRONGLY BELIEVE THERE ARE ALWAYS POSIBILITIES IN WHAT EVER DETERMINATIONS WE EXECUTE.I WISH TO GAIN AN UNSKILLED JOB IN ICE LAND SO AS TO BE ABLE TO MEET UP WITH ENDS.ITS REALLY DIFFICULT TO GAIN A JOB HERE IN CAMEROON DUE TO ITS LOW ECONOMY STANDARD.PLEASE I WILL BE VERY GRATEFUL IF SOMEONE HELP ME ON HOW TO GAIN AN UNSKILLED JOB IN ICE LAND, I HAVE ALWAYS DREAM TO WORK IN THIS COUNTRY.THANKS AND GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

Hi edimofy4real,

Please can you avoid posting in caps lock, this might make you text reader friendly. Thank you! :)

Can you please give us some more information about the kind of job you are looking for.

Thank you,

David.

Expat-blog team.

for any non-EEA citizens looking for unskilled labor jobs, my previous posts still apply!

Hi this is rajkumar I am from India Im looking for any type of unskilled job I have 4years experience in ASS MANAGER and I Complete my basic education and I have international passport if any body need to give a good opportunity please contact me this number *********** or please send me mail: ***************** I live to work any type of job to improve my self and earn money

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

Hi Raj88888,

This is quite an old thread.
As you are looking for a job, it is best that you post directly in the jobs section.

Thanks

Priscilla

Thank you for your reply can please tell me how can I get job directly

Raj88888 wrote:

Thank you for your reply can please tell me how can I get job directly

Have you read my other posts in this thread? They are still relevant. As a non-EEA passport holder, it is rather difficult to get a job though.

Hi there...

I wonder if there is any opportunities for me & my family to settle in Iceland? I do like to work any kind of odd jobs as an unskilled worker there. The main reason is that I do wanna settle in a peaceful country where at least my Kids will grow up in a good society rather than a ......... you know!

Looking forward to hear from you...thank you!!