Taking EU citizenship: advantages/disadvantages in Europe

Hello!

I live permanently in Estonia.

I am American and therefore a non-EU citizen.

I am eligible to obtain a second citizenship in Hungary if I apply for it. I would then become an EU citizen.

What would change for me as an EU resident if I became an EU citizen (though still *not* a citizen of the country in which I reside)?

I realize there are potentially many changes according to one's circumstances....

I am mainly interested in the main practical advantages (and disadvantages).

Thanks for your help!

Hi Raccoon55,

You'll probably get a much more relevant answer if you post your question to the Estonia Forum or one of the other European Forums rather than here on a general forum.

Look at the lower portion of the main forum page and click on the country flag icon to access each nation's forum.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Brazil & Canada Expert, Expat-blog Team

Pretty much unrestricted travel around the EU countries.
Far easier to get work in many EU countries.

Hi Raccoon55,

Your topic is now visible on the Estonia forum for more visibility and for more interaction with the other members. :)

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

Assuming you never plan to leave Estonia, the advantages I'd see are:
-you can go in the "local lines" for passport control when traveling in EEA
-my experience with EEA permanent residency (in two countries) is that it still requires you to renew a card/stamp regularly. As an EEA passport holder you may be exempt from this.
-I found that some types of retirement funds aren't always available to non-EEA citizens.

if you want to move from Estonia, you'll be much more mobile/employable with a "local" passport.