So how cold Hanoi can be?

September is coming and I will visit Hanoi till the end of December. So like the subject above, "how cold Hanoi can be?".

Is insect repellant necessary? How bad do i need it?

Hi Irah,
The cold in Hanoi, I think, is wonderful xD You'll enjoy it :)
About insect repellant, In my opinion, it isn't important. Insects in Hanoi can't kill you, I'm pretty sure about that xD Just kidding, hope you'll be happy :)

Thanks EddyN94,
I hope so. :)

Welcome to hanoi

Thank you :)

Hello Irah!

Welcome to Hanoi!

The weather is in transition now, with bits of summer left before autumn comes. That means cooler temperatures but a lot of rain. So pack with you general rain wears such as rain boots, rain coats & umbrellas.

Dress-wise, you'll need light sweaters/jackets/cardigans for the transition, especially given that Malaysia is warm year-round. For the winter, although the temperatures will decrease to ~20*C in late Nov and Dec, it'll feel much colder here due to the lack of building insulation & high humidity. So bring with you warm outerwear, knitwear and accessories, better if waterproof. When I was in London in December, the cold there was like, meh, compared to that of HN :D

Insect repellent is not necessary IMO, but upon coming if you really need you can find mosquito repellents here. 

If you have questions, feel free to ask here or pm me :)

Cheers!

kaylee11- thank you for the information.
Wow...it must be freezing in Hanoi.
Thanks again :)

Hmmm not really freezing... But yes a bit chilly :D just precautions so that you will not be taken by surprise lol. But don't worry! As someone else puts it the winter here is very enjoyable :)

Welcome to Hanoi

December in hanoi is so cold and dry. the temperature drops under 10'C, but you can find Hanoi's winter unique and interesting.it is nice to enjoy Pho in a winter night. :D

I see nothing but relative 'cold' terms above.  The temps can drop to under 10 degrees C at night, but its a humid cold...so if feels colder.  Put on top of that most places lack heating, people generally wear jackets indoors, and sometimes mittens.  Night time is best when you have a warm body next to you.

On average, its about 12-18 degrees in December.  January is miserable and time to get out of the city dropping to 7 at night and a month of misty drizzle.  That is why Tet is always looked forward to: By the end of Tet in early-mid Feb, relief comes.

Ahh - sorry Elizviet - I see you were writing at the same time I was... so I concur about the temps.

Irah wrote:

September is coming and I will visit Hanoi till the end of December. So like the subject above, "how cold Hanoi can be?".

Is insect repellant necessary? How bad do i need it?

A 5 second Google search came up with this-

weatherspark.com/averages/33992/12/Hanoi-Vietnam

hi there!
in the winter, it's could be under 10oC and have small rain make you skin is crack.:))). With 10oC, the weather is not too cold but the wind and frog bring steam will make you easy to ill and feel cold.I think you should buy some jacket that could block the wind. No need the thick one.

Many things will be smaller if they are cold. People also, specially men. You can ask a man how small he is in Hanoi winter, you may know how is it cold ;)

the coldest ever in Hanoi by my experiment is about 6 degree and i am very enjoy it. Dont worry, you just prepare and you will be ok