Cost of living in Switzerland

whbradley wrote:

Hi,
there is a very good study done by UBS comparing every 3 years related to the cost of living in each country.
below the link :
http://www2.ubs.com/1/f/wealthmanagemen … nings.html
You will find everything you need there.
Alex.

That's a very practical overview indeed!
The survey mentions the two most expensive cities in Switzerland (Zürich and Genève), and costs (and salaries) may be considerably lower outside these two cities - but that will be the same for many of the cities that are mentionned in the survey.

Don't forget to check the exchange rate table in the survey. This can be of great help and importance, as exchange rates have changed considerably the last weeks, in particulary US$ and Euro have lost a lot against the Swiss Franc.

Hi everyone,
I'm Serena from Milan.

I need a suggestion,
I got a job offer as space planner/merchandiser in Zurich,
I am 27, postgraduated, with 1-2 years of experiences.
Now they ask me my salary expetation but I have no idea about how much should I ask to live decently and spare a little bit, since on the internet the information seems to contrast a lot.

Thank you in advance
Serena

This is a typical Swiss thing: at or after a job interview it is quite usual that the employer asks you what your salary expectations are, instead of making an offer.

A good help is the "Lohnrechner" / "Calculatore Salariale" at
lohnrechner.ch

Hope this helps,
Twan.

Thank you very much Twan.
Unfortunately the offer is for the retail field, which is not listed in the link you suggested.

Anyway, 6500 CHF monthly (net), is OK, or is it too much?

Thanks a lot
Serena

Try "Detailhandel" / "Commercio al dettaglio".

I can't judge the job contents and responsabilities, so I can't
judge whether 6500 net per month is realistic or not.

I played a bit with the "Lohnrechner".
27 years old, 2 years experience, "Planung", "Unteres Kader",
"Selbständiges Arbeiten" should pay 6320-6830 CHF gross per
month in the Zurich area.

Hope this helps,
Twan.

thanks a lot.
I did the same,actually. It seems I should ask around that.
I hope is enough ti live well.
But I still think the choiches are a little wierd. Since the retail field is all about negotiations between clients, chains, and suppliers, to me is quite difficult to image it into "commerico al dettaglio", and 6500 gross monthly is what an intern earns in Zurich, and so on and on.
I whished the offer would have come from the company, it would have been much easier.

thanks again for everything Twan.

That's a thing you've got to live with in Switzerland. Companies first ask you what you expect to earn before making an offer themselves. It may be weird, but that's the way things go right here.

6500 net per month should be enough to live on - but that also depends on your preferences. If you insist on living in central Zurich in a 4-bedroom appartment with lake view etc. etc., you could easily spend the 6500 on the rent of your appartment only. If your demands are more modest, you'll find a much cheaper appartment and be able to live quite comfortably.

Read the "Guide" at this forum for much more information on
immigration, costs of living (main items: taxes, mandatory
health insurance, accomodation), transportation (no need to
live in central Zurich as public transport in this country
is excellent).

Hope your future employer is going to make you an offer that is acceptable for you!

Twan.

thank you twan, I'm reading the guide but is very long and dispersive.
I calulated 6500 net are very good, but if the 6500 CHF are gross is not so easy to live on, even with my very cheap and low life style.

I hope the employer is goin to make a honest offer (since is a big international company)
Thank you.

I had been to Switzerland for three weeks, and the cost of living, I experienced, is very high. As my brother is currently staying there, basic food and accommodation wasnt much of a problem, but other things were a problem.
1. Food outside can cost approx 12 to 20 CHF per meal (full).
2. Public Transportation is also very expensive, and I was surprised by this, since I feel that if it is so expensive, then why not people use their own cars. The only plus point that I found out was that trains are really fast, warm (outside it is cold; to some extent, atleast), punctual, frequent (depending on place of travel), and you always get a seat (unlike in India, where getting a seat is rare).
3. Groceries are comparatively expensive, but in Coops and Migros, they are cheaper.

Overall, I liked the country, and plan to visit more often in future, maybe 15 days a year. But I may not be lucky every time as far as basic food and accommodation is concerned. My expenses were approx 1000 chf for 15 days exclusive of food/accommodation.

My question is, if I carry 2000 CHF for 15 days, would it be sufficient to survive in Switzerland for that period, (if I have to pay for my own decent food and accommodation).

Further, I would like to add is, if this is too much, then what about some budget hotels?

I agree with you, vijaysrini, that Switzerland is expensive. Eating outside for 12-20 CHF per full meal is in fact a lower boundary, and one needs to compare prices carefully when on a tight budget. Many places offer set menus for lunch at reasonable prices, and many Migros and Coop have "take away" counters that sell prepared food at reasonable prices (for Swiss standards).

Public transport is very expensive if you need to buy full fare single and return tickets.
Season tickets are reasonably priced and can offer high savings compared to buying singles and returns.
If a season ticket does not pay off, a "Halbtax" card is almost a must when travelling by public transport. You'll have to pay 165 CHF once, but then you'll have 50% off all public transport singles and returns for a full year, and there are some additional savings as well. That's why one out of three persons living in CH has a Halbtax.
When coming from abroad, one of the Swiss Travel System passes may be useful - check www.swisstravelsystem.ch for details and prices.

Budget hotels and hostels: try the well-known internet booking sites to find cheap places to stay.

Hi.
This has been a very interesting thread.
I am currently looking for a possibility of a job in Zurich and I have some questions.

I have been offered 80K CHF contract. Initially I will have to provide also for my girlfriend. We will also need a 2 room appartment.

What troubles me the most is the cost of rent + charges, which look affordable at places at least 1h away from the center, where the job is located. I really don't like the idea of commuting for more that 1h combined each day.

Another thing that came to my understanding is the 45h workweek. What I do not understand is that whether that includes the launch break or not.

Also I'm thinking of bringing one of our cars at least. My car is a Renault Clio 1.4 5d 2004 model. What kind of expensed should I expect.

Finally I would like to ask some questions about her, and specifically how easy would be for her to find a job. She runs a bookstore with her family and has several years of secretary experience. She knows fluent English and has been taught German and Italian. She is now learning French. Will she be able to find a job, something that is related?

Thank you in advance

Hi Demelene,

There are many people and families in Switzerland who have to live from less than 80'000 per year. So that shouldn't be a problem.

Zurich city centre is very expensive when it comes to renting a place. You may want to consider to love not in Zurich but in one of the towns at reasonable commuting distance. Olten, Aarau, Lenzburg, Baden are smaller towns west of Zurich, and travel time by train to Zurich main station is 30 minutes or less (one way).

A 45h work week is a long work week, even for Swiss standards, but not unusual. Normally, such specifications do not include lunch breaks: it's 45 hours working, not 40 hours working and 5 hours lunch break.

Can't help you with information on bringing your car. Don't forget to check out how to handle this with Swiss customs, though!

Regarding your girlfriend, yes, if her German is ok, she should be able to find a job. For a secretary style job, German should not only be "ok", but better than that - there may be quite some Germans looking for the same job and "being fluent in German" may make the difference.
What's the nationality of your girlfriend? Just asking because of the work permit conditions. If she holds an EU passport, it shouldn't be a problem, but if she doesn't, it may be more complicated.

Hope this helps,
Twan.

Twan wrote:

Hi Demelene,

There are many people and families in Switzerland who have to live from less than 80'000 per year. So that shouldn't be a problem.

Zurich city centre is very expensive when it comes to renting a place. You may want to consider to love not in Zurich but in one of the towns at reasonable commuting distance. Olten, Aarau, Lenzburg, Baden are smaller towns west of Zurich, and travel time by train to Zurich main station is 30 minutes or less (one way).

A 45h work week is a long work week, even for Swiss standards, but not unusual. Normally, such specifications do not include lunch breaks: it's 45 hours working, not 40 hours working and 5 hours lunch break.

Can't help you with information on bringing your car. Don't forget to check out how to handle this with Swiss customs, though!

Regarding your girlfriend, yes, if her German is ok, she should be able to find a job. For a secretary style job, German should not only be "ok", but better than that - there may be quite some Germans looking for the same job and "being fluent in German" may make the difference.
What's the nationality of your girlfriend? Just asking because of the work permit conditions. If she holds an EU passport, it shouldn't be a problem, but if she doesn't, it may be more complicated.

Hope this helps,
Twan.

Thank you. She is also Greek(EU Citizen) as am I.
Thank you for the rent info.
I have seen some really good appartments around half an hours commute from the job which located near the train station. I'll check the cities you mention.

Hello friends,
i m vishal jain. i want to settle in switzerland as a resident of switzerland. pls can you tel me which job is preferable for me as i m a vegetarian. and where can i find indians setteled in switzerland?

Hello vishal_jaiin,

I don't think that so many jobs are unsuitable for vegetarians. Well, a job in a butcher's shop is of course not the thing you're looking for, but for the rest, most jobs should be ok...

About food: "Vegetarian" is not the default in Switzerland, but (almost) all restaurants will have vegetarian options on their menus and it is usual that anyone organising an event that includes a meal asks around for "menu requirements" including wishes for a vegetarian option.

Hope this helps,
Twan.

Thank you very much TWAN for d reply.

pls can you tel me in which part of switzerland can i find indian society and what would be an approx. rent for approx 185 m2 on the groung floor (commercial area).
i am into diamond industry, but i dont know any one over there suppose if i join a jewellery firm over there, pls can you tell me how much salary can i earn?

I live in United States. I'm planning on a trip to Switzerland, Bernese Oberland region.
I'm keen on visiting the Jungfraujoch mountains for hiking in May 2012. I will be spending only 3 days in Switzerland and I'll be on my way to Paris.
Would you be able to help me with information regards to stay, food and local travel like places to live and eatery expenses in the Bernese Oberland region?
I'm not good with German, will that be any issue?
Are there any bike rentals for cheap in this region?

Your help will be greatly appreciated !!!

Hi!

You can't imagine how useful this information is for those who are considering moving to Switzerland. Reason why I would like to start thanking you all.

I am applying for a job in Zug and I was asked about how much I would "want" to earn. I have answered 5000 CHF month (net) but I think I should have asked for more:  The reason is that I will have to travel to my country (in Europe) every two months to continue with my dental treatment. Plus, I am still paying for my car here in my country.

In a few words, of those 5000 CHF month (net), i would have to take plain travels every two months and continue to pay around 200 euros/month for my car.

What do you think? I have a secure live here in my country but I would like to experiment working abroad unless that becomes a nightmare...

Thanks in advance!

Hi msc84,

I'm glad you could use this information!
Whether 5000 CHF net per month is much or not, will also depend on the job and your experience, so I cannot judge that from here.
Take care when looking for a house or appartment in canton Zug: prices are sky high in this canton due to very low taxes for companies and the "happy few". You might want to consider living in a place close to Zug, but not in the canton of Zug itself, and commute. In this way, you save a lot of rent, more than the commuting will cost you.

Hope this helps,
Twan.

Hi every one
Me and my wife are planning to migrate to switzerland. Is it possible for a filipino couple to be immigrant in switzerland? I'm a graduate of veterinary medicine and currntly working as meat inspector in slaughterhouse. Is there any way I can get a job as meat inspector?
thanks for anybody who can give me answers.
God bless to everyone.

For immigrating into Switzerland, you'll need to show that you can provide in your own income. The "happy few" can do this by showing a well-filled bank account - but most of us can not and will have to work for their income.
Thus, the most important thing for you to do is: find a job. That *won't* be an easy thing as long as you are not holding an EU passport:
(1) a Swiss employer must show that he can't find a Swiss or EU passport holder for the job before he can hire you and apply for a work and stay permit.
(2) Work and stay permits are only limited available as strict quota apply. Even if you find a job, your employer and you will have "bad luck" if quota for work permits have run out.

For details, have some looks at the internet, for instance at www.swissinfo.ch (choose "Switzerland: how to" and then "Work Life"), or contact the Swiss embassy in your country.

Good luck,
Twan.

Hello. Congrats on the blog. Very helpful.

I need some advice on the following:

I am a Chartered Accountant with 3 and a half years experience in the audit sector. Very pleased with my work. Live comfortably with my salary. I got an offer to work in Baar Switzerland as a Business Analyst in a big international company. Salary offered 90.000 CHF. If I accept, i will be without my boyfriend at least at the beginning so i will have the full blown weight of all expenses. I don't know yet if i will have any benefits but for the purpose of this conversation lets assume that I won't.

Is the salary sufficient to live comfortably or not?

Many thanks for your time!

E

Look online at this website regarding cost of living etc
www.numbeo.com

This website is nice but it's filled by the users themselves. Hence a number of errors can occur.

Sometimes it's close to reality, sometimes it isn't.

Comparis.ch gives a much more correct view about cost of life in Switzerland.

"There are many people and families in Switzerland who have to live from less than 80'000 per year. So that shouldn't be a problem."

Well, there are a lot of people worldwide who have to survive on less as well, this type of answer means and brings nothing.

Is 80 000CHF/year  a good enough and comfortable salary to live in Zurich or not is the real question.

If you don't know because you live in Belgium, then don't assume please.

hi
I have been offered a salary of 1,04,5000 CHF in Renens Switzerland and have to stay there for one month on WP.

I am travelling alone.

Just wanted to check if this is a good salary as well as breakup of expenses there

Warm Regards
Amit Manna

Hello amit_manna.

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Hope that the above messages might give you a hint.

Thanks

Karen :)

Hi,

I want to visit Geneva from Africa in september and I need  friends, how can I go about it?  How much will it cost me to stay in Geneva for one week.

Thank you

hello dears
im from greece and graduated business management and my husband from lebanon and has master degree in pharmacy graduated from ukraine..so i need some help how to find job in switzerland and to live there and we want to equivalence our diploma...and if we can work  at ssme time we making our equivalence?

Hi aliatawbe,

Please can you post an advert in the Jobs in Switzerland section, with details of your qualifications and skills. This might help. Thank you! :)

Regards,

David.

Mariuso wrote:

"There are many people and families in Switzerland who have to live from less than 80'000 per year. So that shouldn't be a problem."

Well, there are a lot of people worldwide who have to survive on less as well, this type of answer means and brings nothing.

Is 80 000CHF/year  a good enough and comfortable salary to live in Zurich or not is the real question.

If you don't know because you live in Belgium, then don't assume please.

Well, in that case, the "real answer" to the "real question" is: "yes".

[Moderated]