Year abroad?

Hi I am a high school student considering graduating early to spend my senior year abroad as an exchange student in Kyrgyzstan. As a Jew and a female what should I anticipate?

Welcome to Expat.com Rebecca6690!

Harmonie.:)

Hey Rebecca, what are you planning on doing in Kyrgyzstan? I'm assuming you'll come to Bishkek (and that's where I am now so I can speak from some experience). Females don't necessarily have to put up with anything that male foreigners don't. Women dress how they like (some people wear the headscarves, some people wear miniskirts in winter) and can walk around alone during the day. At night things can definitely get sketchier and I would tell anybody, male/female/foreigner/local/etc, not to walk around alone and especially not while drunk. As long as you practice common sense and some basic safety tips then you'll be fine. I can't speak from experience about what it's like to be a Jew here. I've seen a couple girls at the school I teach at (AUCA) wearing Star of David necklaces, so it can't be completely unheard of. I'm sure you'll experience mostly curiosity rather than any sort of hostility. If you want more about that subject, there's definitely a Jewish girl in my class and maybe I can put you two in touch? Let me know!

There are many Jews in the Kyrgyz population, but there are not religiously active. I did not see any synagogue. Don't worry.
About clothes, you may keep in mind that out of Bishkek you are in islamic country. You may wear conveniently.

Hi borjom73,

Please note that this is an old thread.

If you want to start a new discussion to share your knowledge and experiences, you may start a new topic on the Kyrgyzstan forum. :)

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com team