"Border hopping"

Been reading a lot lately about "border hopping" (renewing your visa after 90 days)

The Panama border security seems to be very difficult at this moment, you need to be able to show them $500,00 + a ticket to wherever you came from. Personally I find this ridiculous, I want to live in Costa Rica but can't really do so because we would have to buy a ticket back to Europe....insane!!!

Who can tell me more about this, who's had experience (good or bad)
Who has had experience with border hopping with Nicaragua and are the conditions the same?

1. It looks like you're talking about Costa Rica. You definitely have a better chance on relevant answers if you would post this in the Costa Rica forum: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=228

2. None of my business, really, but why don't you try to find a legal way to stay and live in Costa Rica?

Hi jordan6223,

Your post has been moved to the Costa Rica forum for better views and interaction.

Regards,

David.

Expat-blog team.

Thanks David(I think I already put it there myself)

Ridiculous or not...that is the requirements, if you renew your visa through travel to Panama. If you chose to do this via Nicaragua, only a bus ticket is required, at this time.

However, some people have reported they
a) print out a copy of a 'ticket' ...which isn't really a purchased ticket... and present this along the $500.
b) purchase a fully refundable ticket, then cancel when you are back in CR.

If you have applied for residency and have your comprobante, proving you have really applied then you are not required to leave CR except if you want to continue driving, after updating your passport, which could be for 9 or 90 days, depending on you many days is stamped on your passport

Haven't done this yet, but I DO have bus tix for Nicaragua and my neighbor just came and went with NO problems. We HAVE to go back to the States in December (our 1st 3 months) so I already have a plane ticket for then. I just switched my previously purchased bus tickets to March (2nd 3 months), so I'm hoping it's still okay by then. After that we should be well into applying for our pensionado, so no more hopping.

Good luck Dustymar

Dustymar, if you want to continue driving, you must keep 'hopping' until you have a cedula,and then wait until your visa has expired,  so be prepared to 'hop' 4 or 5 times.:mad: