Living in Matola and commuting to Maputo every day.

Hi All.

I will be starting a new job in Maputo in January 2014 and will be bringing my family with me (My wife and daughters aged 3 and 6). We live in Hillcrest just outside Durban, South Africa currently.

We're really not city people and would love to live somewhere a little quiter, a little greener than Maputo.

Matola looks interesting - but I have heard that getting to work and back every day would be challenging and time consuming.
If there is anyone who does the daily commute between Matola and Maputo that can share their experience with me - both of the commute and what it is like living in Matola I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Garth

Hi Garth,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Please note that your post was moved to the Mozambique forum for better visibility and interaction.

Best of luck for the future :)

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

Hi, Been living here in Maputo for 3 yrs now. Commuting between Matola and Maputo can be a nightmare. Having said that, many expats do live in Matola. I would NOT...   Housing is cheaper there, and a good place, only travelling to Maputo is the hang-up.
Good Luck.

Garth , hi

Right now this paradise has turned into a hotbed of problems and lack of security. The police are more of a threat than a help. Please make deeper inquiries before leaving the frying pan (don't cut your boss's tie yet).

regards
Zaid

@Zaid - thank you for the sharing of information but pls note that it would be nice to give some positive feedback as well :)