Hi

Hi
I am an Indian.I am going to move to bogota in the month of June. Any Indian on this forum could help me know whether we can easily get Indian Spices/Masalas at Bogota.
Thanks
Meetu

Hi
the biggest mistake you can make is to come to Bogota from India and not bringin any scices with you!.

take a big suitcase and fill it with lot of spices.
and gring somo for me hahahaha, It love very spice food.

well the whole point is that here in Bogota you can't find any indian spices.

take care.

Hi
Diesel girl
Thanks a lot for your reply. I will definitely going to bring  different types of  Masalas and would love to bring for you too.
Thanks & take care
Meetu

Lovely ;)

me and my husband have a very good friend from India
so  maybe we can meet up one day.

see you around have safe journey.

Jo.

Definitely would love to meet you & your family. Will message you once I reached Bogota.:)
Thanks
Meetu

Hi Meetu,

There is a small place that sells some spices and ingredients for oriental food (including indian). You can find some of the products they sell in the website: http://www.globalgourmetmarket.com/index.php

Hope it helps, so you can bring some, and hopefully you can find them later here as well. When I was abroad I also missed my national food. :)

I hope you find what you need in that store...

Best regards

Hi
Cardilag
It's so sweet of you to let me know about the website.I'm definitely going to bring some ingredients  initially.
I'm sure with the helpful people like you around at Bogota will make my stay  a pleasant one.
Thanks
Meetu

well my friend

just telling you bring your own spices! that shop has nothing
that you can call real indian spices.

I went there and you will pay a hight price for so little
and apart of rice and poppadoms you also can find a bad version of mango chutney.

things like roasted chillis peppers, turmeric, real and teasty cummin is difficult to buy.

yes you will find cardamons that taste like nothing
and the chicken stock are pure salt.

my good advised as i know what real indian food taste like
BRING YOUR OWN SPICES.

even in the indian restaurant here the food are just like Colombian food very plain no flavor at all.
well at least for me as I leaved in middle east for 3 years and having an english husband; food for us must be just right, no just beans,rice, fried fish or pork fat.

even our Indian friend here bring his own spices from india.

best regards

Hi
Diesel girl
I have noted down your suggestions.Valuable feedback from people of Bogota will be a great help to me.
Thanks again
Meetu

Hi I reached yesterday to Bogota, would like to where i can get some indian food items and also Curd.

and How do I get SIM. what are the options and charges.
where are hospitals located,and are there any rules to get treatments.
Pls let me know this info.

do we have any Indian forums link with living in Bogota people.

Thanks
Kumar

Hello Kumar,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Please read the above discussions, it's all about Indian food items.
For the other details, hopefully the members on the forum will help you out ;)

Regards,
Pravin.

Hi Meetu,
I hope you have a good journey here.  When I moved from England, I soon wished that I'd brought much more food with me.  So many things I assumed would be available, somewhere.  Finding the right shop, does not mean that the food is the same as you're used to.
Still I can't get good wholemeal bread flour, spices, tea (English style), currants (for baking) and a lot more else!  I used to be a home baker, but lack of good flour and I can't any more.  You're going to enjoy the fresh fruit and vegetables though and the people are super-freindly :)  except when they're drivers ;)
Howard.

Hi
Kumar
I just checked the mails . Kumar I hope by now u must be setteled and aware about the places from where you can get curd and other food items at Bogota. Anyhow you can check at Surtifurver. There you can get" Griego yogurt ". It is similar like curd  the one which we use in India and not the flavoured yogurt.
Take care
Meetu

Hi
Yowie

You are right I was even looking for right kind of flour for making chappati/Roti.And finally after trying  many kinds of flour I have now found the right one.
And I do agree with you that people over here are very helpful.
Take care
Meetu

Hi
Dieselgirl

Thanks for your advice. After reaching at Bogota I have realised that you were right that I should bring bag full of Masalas.
Take care
Meetu

Hi Meetu,
Where are you getting your flour now?  I'm still on the lookout for better bread flour, in particular wholemeal (brown/integral) for breadmaking.

oh it was really bad you actually didn't brought with you masalas or any type of curries.

well take care and be careful

Hi
Dieselgirl
I have brought masalas with me. I meant to say that its good that I listened to your advice and brought them.
Thanks
Meetu

Hi
Yowie
You can look out for flour at Paloquemao market. I got it from there. It is named as Harina Integral

Hi meetu

Glad you brought your own Masalas. I will be leaving Colombia for good soon.
so I will be selling all my Indian spices and others goods so if you are interested let me know and I will be sending the info about my garage sale.

best regards
Jo

Hi Jo,

Please consider the Moving sales in Bogota, this might be helpful in your garage sale.

Thank you,

David.

thanks

as soon I know when is my packing day I will arrange the garage sale.

Hi Meetu,

I'd love to know this too.  Please pass on any information!

We just moved to Bogota after spending 8 years in India and miss India and Indian food already.  I have brought a few masalas with me but would love to know where to get more, also yoghurt, atta, basmati rice if any of these are available here.

Any information on Indian restaurants would be welcome too.

Cheers,
Ulrike

Hi
Ulrike
Welcome to Bogota. Happy Diwali to you. I am sure you are going to enjoy your stay at Bogota.
You can get Basmati rice,jeera,Atta and few dry masalas from palaquamo market. yogurt you will get at exito by the brand name Padco yogurt sin dulce or griego yogurt at surtifruver .
Do let me know if you any other information.
I will be happy to help you.
Take care
Meetu

Hi Meetu,

A very happy Diwali to you too! I hope you a great celebration dispite being so far away from home!

Thank you so much for all your tips about where to buy Indian food items.  My son loves Indian food too and really misses it.  He was born in New Delhi on Republic Day 2012.  We've both really enjoyed the plain yoghurt already and hope to go to the market you mentioned soon.

We had a Diwali dinner at the Taj Mahal Indian restaurant in Usaquen which was genuinely Indian (something we could hardly believe and really didn't expect!).  They have two punjabi chefs.  The food was excellent but a little pricey.  I can highly recommend them though.

Thanks once again for all your advice!  I'm sure I'll be in touch again soon.

Take care,
Ulrike

Hi
Ulrike
I had been to Tajmahal many times and I agree with you that food is authentic Punjabi but price is slightly at higher side. Tajmahal was the first Indian restaurant I visited after a few days of landing at Bogota and even I was very happy to eat delicious Indian food at Tajmahal .  At that time I was struggling to find out the places from where I can get basmati rice and atta.
There are other Indian restaurants too like India Gourmet, flor de loto and Dhaba. Till now I had food only at Tajmahal n Indian Gourmet.The food at India Gourmet is similar to the way we make it at home and it is not very costly too. The restaurant is owned by an Indian and he is married to Colombian.
Take care
Meetu

Hi meetu,

Can you please let me know what are things which i need to bring from india when i am getting relocated to bogota in terms of cooking vessels , spices etc.

Hi
Abhishek
As an Indian the most important thing is that you should get from India is Chakla- belan, pressure cooker, some crockery , one karahi and pan to start . Though everything is available at Bogota but comparatively at higher cost.
It is difficult for us to get all the utensils from India . But the basic ones you can bring.
As far as other things are concerned you can bring some daals, rai, hing, some Gits packets if you wish ... And in masalas turmeric and corriander powder, jeera, cardamom,dalchini are available here.
You can get Mdh masalas of redchilli,cholea,or any masalas of your choice.
If you are coming with your wife ,then please inform her to get some saris or suits because we do celebrate Diwali, independence day or we do poojas  where most of the ladies prefer to wear indian clothes .
I hope the above information will be of some help to you.
Take care
Meetu

Whats up Kumar! You, Harold, and I should all get together and have some crazy times!

Hey,
I recently moved to Bogota for an internship for an year, I know this is an old blog, but if possible can someone assist me with finding an apartment as I am not able to find it my self online easily.

Thank you,
Prem Dayal

Hi
Dayalprem
Welcome to Bogota . This is my friend email id [email protected]. She can be some help to you as she has business of real estate.
Take care
Meetu