New to Anaco Any Advice?

Hello everyone. I just moved to Anaco for work. I didn't know anyone when I first moved here and my Spanish is lacking significantly so it has been slow settling in. Does anyone have any general advice, tips or tricks for new comers that you would have liked to known when you first arrived?

Oh also how does tipping work in Venezuela for restaurants and bellhops in particular?

Hola!
Que Tal!
Un saludo fraternal. Soy cristiano. quiero ir para el país Israel, con el objetivo de conocer: mas acerca de mi maestro: Jesucristo.

Hi enrique dalton,

Welcome to Expat-Blog :)

Can you please write in English on the English Forum so as the other members can understand your message :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Tipping in Venezuela:
- Restaurants: First you check if they include the 10% services fee.  If they DO include it you do NOT have to leave any extra tips, though if you feel it was very good and they deserve it, you can live an extra 5%.

In the case they do NOT include the service fee you usually pay between 5%-10%.  Also it depends on how high or low is the bill.  A 3000 BsF meal (say a 5 people eating a lot in a fancy restaurant) doesn't need to have a 300 BsF tip as this is a lot of money for one service, while you can leave say 20 BsF tip for an 80 BsF meal extremely cheap meal) if you think they deserve it.

For things like hotels you can leave anything from 20 BsF to 50 BsF, to me it seems like a good tip.  You don't have to tip all the time, just when you feel they were helpful.

At the grocery shop there's usually a kid that helps you packing the bags, anything from 2-10 BsF is good for them.  Sometimes there's someone that watches your car while it is parked, we usually give the same amount (5-10 BsF) or nothing, personally I don't give them anything unless they are being helpful (like they find you a spot, or they stop the traffic for you).

People asking for money in the streets get nothing from me, though is anyone tells me that they are hungry and need money to buy food I might buy them some food.

Advice: If you are planning to stay in Venezuela, LEARN SPANISH.  English won't get you very far, but some mid level spanish will do WONDERS for you.  People in here will try very hard to understand you and help you out, but this also means you have to give them something to hang on, without some spanish it will be impossible for most people

Another piece of advice... Eat arepas, they are wonderful :)

Hello!

I wrote to you because, I am interesting travel to Israel. There are many knowlage I will learn. What you think about it?

Thank you very much for the info! I am working hard on learning Spanish and I have already discovered the yumminess of arepas.

Even better I love Empanadas...chicken beef pork with garlic sauce more the MMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMM Good

Hiya Ms Onward Rambler
Hell no! we are proud people who are happy working for nothing(just kidding). Think about the USA $ to Bolivar exchange rate, and the service you are getting. You also will find corruption is rife in my country, and to get things going(or not in case you jump a red traffic light for instance)I'm not condoning it,on the contrary,just stating the fact you will be asked to "bajarse de la mula ie "to get of the female donkey" ie give him/her some money for the coffee, xmas or whatever...as I said I hate it, but it's the way things roll.
Enjoy the arepas ( try the cazon ones), empanadas, cachapas, the mangos... Sorry this is a v long rant.
Buena suerte y cuidate.
Luis