Moving and working in Antwerp

Looking to move to Antwerp and was wondering what the process would be. I'm originally from the UK and have as Level 3 NVQ in Children's Care, Learning and Development.
I have worked for 17 years from newborn to young adults in various settings which include disabilities. I'm fluent in English and learning Dutch but don't think it would be up to scratch for the working world just yet.

Few questions if your able to answer

What will I have to do to when I arrive?
Is there any English speaking jobs in the vicinity of Antwerpen?? Childcare or otherwise (restuarant\bar)(Will even consider nanny jobs to start) I've posted in classifieds
Will I need to trade UK driving license or could I continue to use my UK one??
If I came over with just savings would that be a problem if I didn't find work straight away? 

Any information or advice would be grateful or point in the right direction.

Thanks Sheree

If you want to work in child care, you'll have to have your qualifications recognized which can take months.

You no longer need to exchange UK licences until they expire (10 years validity, you'd be amazed how many people don't know that and are driving on invalid licences in the UK. However, UK regs mean if you no longer live in the UK, you cannot keep your UK licence!

How would I go about getting my qualification recognized?

You submit them to the Flemish education authority.
ond.vlaanderen.be/

OR you look for work in the private sector of international schools, there are 4 of them in Antwerp.

Hello Sheree.

Your message has been moved to the Antwerp Forum for more visibility.

Thanks.

Karen :)

Is there no one out there who can help? I find posting my profile on sites seems quiet.

I sometimes see that people want a service but then do not log in or read messages for weeks and then not reply.

So far I've posted on Nanny websites, posted CV directly to companies but have not received anything back. 

How long does on average does it take to get a job? I know I only speak English but I am slowly picking up Dutch, mainly reading and writing as speaking will only improve when I have someone telling me exactly how to pronounce the words.

If anyone knows anybody especially who needs a Nanny around the region of Antwerp then it'll be great to get my profile out there...As said previously I've been working with babies and Children for 18 years now so am experienced. Would love to move in with boyfriend sooner than later so that we can finally make a life together.

Dear Sheree

If you're interested to work at a customer service, you can send your cv to [email protected]. Start People is a temping agency and we often need English native speakers.

Good luck.

It can vairy to find a job I live in gent not many english jobs at all ive been learning dutch for 2 years and still no job. But i know people who have done it in a few months all ill say is its not easy so many think it is

hi

@ Blgum > Hello :) Something to add in relation to the topic ' Moving and working in Antwerp'? Thanks. Karen :)

What tervurener said is right. It takes months for them to approve your credentials. You will also have to get a notarized translation of your degree.
The best way to really find work is probably through VDAB, but unfortunately the website (jobs search section) is only in dutch (or rather not in english). Do you know any dutch speakers that might be able to help you navigate the site?

Good Luck!

Hi Sheree,

Have you spent extended  time in Antwerp before? Do you know how would it feel like living here? Just curious, because this change is a big one.

Regarding jobs, I do not speak Dutch and it is not an easy language to learn, however I have been already working 8 years but, not in Antwerp, you shall search around/in Brussels.

If you don't speak Dutch, which you must start name it as "Flemish" you will not find a job in Antwerp and North of Flanders.

I can understand, since the environment in these companies is absolutely Flemish, and not multicultural, so you will not have the possibility  to get integrated.

I live in Antwerp and have to drive 80 kms everyday to my job, because there are are based most of the headquarters of the biggest companies in the World.

Besides the above, this is a very expensive country, and taxes are the highest, that's why the common expression of: betalen betalen betalen!! :)

Just keep in mind that reality is different that appearance.

Good Luck!!!

I have not spent extended time in Antwerp, I have only been in Belgium a few times... Moved permanently with the boyfriend yesterday. Luckily he and his parents speak Dutch and I know a few people over here that do the same hobby as me so it won't be too bad...I'm all using CDs to also help with pronunciation.

Regarding jobs yes I know it'll be difficult and as I work in childcare I have gone down the nanny route which hopefully I have an interview in a couple weeks for a family.

The main issue I have had is registering the town hall wanted a letter from UK stating I have left but no one knows what I am on about or write one, so tomorrow I will return to town hall and let them know.

Today is day one of living here so looking forward to the future with my boyfriend etc

Good luck with the nanny route just be careful and make sure you know exactly what the family expect of yu they are some bad stories here and some amazing ones of family