Algerian Travel

I am wanting to visit my bf in Algeria at the end of this year. I am wanting to visit for 2 weeks, where i am going is about 2 hours south of Oran. I am traveling to there alone im 21 years old. I am wondering if anyone who has visited has had any trouble when getting ready to leave the country, as in getting back on the plane to go home, getting through there airport and customs etc. Any responses are appreciated!!

Hello!

I went to Algeria this past summer to visit my bf and had an amazing time! Do you have a visitor visa for Algeria? They will probably ask you that before you even get on the plane for Algiers. Is your boyfriend going to drive the 2 hours from his house to pick you up at the airport in Algiers? I would highly recommend that he does (my bf and his family drove about 3 hours to pick me up and drop me off at the airport) because it would be the safest way to get around. I did take public transit while in Chlef (where my bf lives) but I was with my bf and his sister and it was just a short ride from downtown back to their house.
May I ask where you are from?

I had more trouble getting into the country than I did exiting it. The only issue was that the customs card that you have to fill out at the airport was in Arabic and French, and I didn't know what I was supposed to fill in! haha Luckily there was an airline stewardess who spoke English and was able to help me!
Exiting the country was very easy, but the line up (for security/customs) was quite long so make sure that you make time for that.

Local customs depend on how traditional your bf and his family are. I borrowed my bf's sisters clothes because they had nice loose-fitted dresses to wear in the 45-50 degree heat (OMG...it was soooo hot). I wore the hijab at the mosque and when we went downtown (as I stuck out like a sore thumb with my pale skin and blonde hair). People were soooo friendly and I felt VERY comfortable and safe the whole time I was there!
Tons of police around, with blockades on the road to try to keep drivers from driving too fast.

Went swimming in the Mediterranean sea a few times which was awesome! I wore loose capri's and a t-shirt in the water.
The town I was in  had a very relaxed feel to it and I can't wait to go back! Please feel free to send me a private message if you have any other questions!

sweetocean wrote:

Hello!

I went to Algeria this past summer to visit my bf and had an amazing time! Do you have a visitor visa for Algeria? They will probably ask you that before you even get on the plane for Algiers. Is your boyfriend going to drive the 2 hours from his house to pick you up at the airport in Algiers? I would highly recommend that he does (my bf and his family drove about 3 hours to pick me up and drop me off at the airport) because it would be the safest way to get around. I did take public transit while in Chlef (where my bf lives) but I was with my bf and his sister and it was just a short ride from downtown back to their house.
May I ask where you are from?

I had more trouble getting into the country than I did exiting it. The only issue was that the customs card that you have to fill out at the airport was in Arabic and French, and I didn't know what I was supposed to fill in! haha Luckily there was an airline stewardess who spoke English and was able to help me!
Exiting the country was very easy, but the line up (for security/customs) was quite long so make sure that you make time for that.

Local customs depend on how traditional your bf and his family are. I borrowed my bf's sisters clothes because they had nice loose-fitted dresses to wear in the 45-50 degree heat (OMG...it was soooo hot). I wore the hijab at the mosque and when we went downtown (as I stuck out like a sore thumb with my pale skin and blonde hair). People were soooo friendly and I felt VERY comfortable and safe the whole time I was there!
Tons of police around, with blockades on the road to try to keep drivers from driving too fast.

Went swimming in the Mediterranean sea a few times which was awesome! I wore loose capri's and a t-shirt in the water.
The town I was in  had a very relaxed feel to it and I can't wait to go back! Please feel free to send me a private message if you have any other questions!

My God why the temperatures so high. 45-50 is like saudi arabia..desert. How come its so high. When is the best time to visit Algeria?

Hi Dear, go ahead do not hesitate, you will Love it, it is quit hot summer time, the people are very friendly, food very yummy and beautiful beach.
My Wife as well is from Boston USA she lives with me Algiers, please do not hesitate to ask if you require any help and support
Best Regards