Grocery run

where is the best place to stop for groceries on the way from POP to Cabarete?  Playero?

thanks

La sirena in Puerto Plata is likely your best bet.

thanks...20mins in the opposite direction but is it worth vs. Playero or even Janets?

Much bigger selection,  likely better prices too!

Right now from POP to Cabarete I would choose Janet's.  Not quite the selection of Playero but better prices. Playero has a better meat dept and it is run by a german butcher. 
La Sirena is currently building a facility just east of Sosua. We are not sure if this is going to be a supermarket (we hope so) or something like a price mart.  Either one actually would be great and give Playero some competition, which they really need.

Bob K

good to know...competition is always good for the consumer

So they are progressing  Bob???  Good to hear.

Yes they are currently excavating a huge hole and rumor is open spring 2014.  I am counting the days!

Bob K

Nice Bob, lets hope they have some semblance of "on time".  La Sirena is usually pretty good about managing their timelines......

I've not heard any new rumors about them selling the entire chain in a while!

Yes they were right on the money with the Puerto Plata store and this new one will either be a grocery store or la Sirena will open is as a warehouse store similar to price mart.  In either case it will be under the la Sirena or Pollo (head company) name. And very good for us on the north coast who have been held hostage by player for ever.

Bob K

I agree   Bob.  Ok so the other store name then would be Super Pola, I have one a 5 minute walk from my house,  it is a grocery store rather then Supertienda like La Sirena but gives good grocery store options!!!

Bob where exactly is the construction being done in Sosua? Coukd you give me some reference points? Is it near the Sea Horse Ranch, headed from Cabarete to Sosua? Is it on the Beach side or the Lagoon side.  Will look out for the site when I'm headed back to the Airport. By the way how did you like the Jazz Festival? Last night was amazing with Johnny Ventura and Millie Quezada in Cabarete :-)
Thanks.

It is past Sea Horse ranch and on the corner where Todo Carne is. You can't miss it as it is surrounded by a brand new corrugated steel fence.

Bob K

Angie right super pola. They are all owned by the Ramos group.

Bob K

Muchas Gracias Bob, will check it out on my way to the airport later this week.