British Person Looking to Learn Vietnamese

Hello Expats,

I'm new in Ho Chi Minh (1 week and counting), and am looking to learn some Vietnamese to help me settle in the country, and generally help me get on.

I wonder if the group would be able to suggest any language schools?

Or maybe any teachers who would be happy to teach me directly (I've heard that this quite often happens)?

Also, any advice on prices would be really helpful, so I don't get quoted anything too wild when I approach companies.

Apologies, I'm sure this question is asked on a daily basis, but I'm struggling to get the search function to work....

Thanks in advance for all your help :):)

John!

Hi there, welcome to vietnam
Learning Vietnamese is a good idea to approach life here, even in your company, you can understand basically what vietnamese staff is talking ^,^ I suggest you study at University of sociable sience and humanities on Dinh Tien Hoang street. Another way is get a tutor to teach you Vietnamese conversation. I used to teach English for vietnamese, but in my opinion, teaching vietnamese and learning vietnamese is definitely more difficult than english. However, i think you could do best because you can practice with your vietnamese staff and friend. Wish you the best in Vietnam ^,^

Thanks,

I agree with you totally. I need to learn if I'm going to really appreciate living here!

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check them out!

You're right, being able to practice at work, should help me learn quickly!

Thanks again.

JohnNeilDanielson wrote:

Apologies, I'm sure this question is asked on a daily basis, but I'm struggling to get the search function to work....

Thanks in advance for all your help :):)

John!

That's because there isn't one.  The "Google Custom Search" feature is just a general web search.  The Expat-Blog Team is working on an internal thread search feature.

By "searching", you'd have to scan manually through each category.  In your case, it would be under Schools & Studies category.

Hi John,

Welcome to Vietnam. I am teaching Vietnamese for foreigners and I think I can help you with this. You can charge me 100.000VND/hour. So let me know whether I can help you:).

Have a nice day,
Cheers,
Truc.

Here is some recommendations.

Hi,

I'm new in town too (just over 1month). I'm learning vietnamese in this school : "Đại học Khoa học Xã hội và Nhân văn", 10-12 Đinh Tiên Hoàng, Bến Nghé, Quận 1  Ho Chi Minh City.
They have different courses ( 2h / 4h ; 3days / 5days ; ... ).
The administration is easy (they speak english).
I paid about 5.000.000vnd for 80hours (2h/day ; 5days ; 2months) + book (250.000vnd)

If you need more information, contact me.

Chana Tran

Hi John,
You're welcome. i am happy to share useful information with you. And about the tuition fee, of course, if you study at school, fee is not as much as u have a private tutor ^,^ ( around 3 millions per month/ 12 days ). if you need more suggestion or concern anything, you can leave me a message here.

I second the recommendation for the University of Humanities and Social Sciences. Excellent teaching with small classes for just under 3 million VND a term.

If you prefer one on one tuition there is no shortage of tutors as you have already seen by the list of replies. Be warned (or encouraged) though that one on one tutor pupil set ups seem to often develop into more social relationships :). One friend of mine ended up dating 3 of his tutors in a row (and had to keep changing when the relationships broke up).

I third the university of social sciences. I've been studying there since March, and it's been invaluable. Having said that, keep in mind that Vietnamese is incredibly difficult for English speakers to learn; do not take it on lightly, work hard on it, and practice with locals as much as you can.

I can guarantee your experience of Vietnam will be greatly improved.

My suggestion is make friends with local. Done! That's free and you can learn lots of thing than in language class.
Of course, you can learn speaking skill only :)

I have a friend who used to study Vietnamese at University of Humanities and Social Sciences. The feedback is that it was a bit academic what they teach. The everyday-use Vietnamese language is not that "academic". Of course what they teach you is still useful anyway.

Another suggestion is the Journalism Foreign Language Center - JFL, opposite of Reunification place, Minh Khai road. Another friend of mine did attend some sessions and said it was ok. But they was too busy and travel to finish the whole course to give feedback.

Vietnamese people are nice, just go to the park and talk to them.

It is a hard language.  A few words of advice.

(1) Tones, tones, tones.  If you don't do them right, nobody will understand you

(2) daily practice, as much a part of your day as eating, sleeping, exercising

(3) you WILL go through an episode of discouragement.  Don't do what I did and stop learning waiting for it to pass

(4) (this is controversial) study the northern pronunciation.  You will be understood in the south while the southern will not be understood in the north, moreover, it tends to be frowned up up there.  Work on listening comprehension in the south, and recognize that there is a HUGE variation in pronunciation down here while up north it's much more homogenous and vastly clearer

(5) tones, tones, tones

(6) clarrity of enunciation is more important than vocabulary building.  The words will come on their own, tiny differences in enunciation make huge differences between being understood and not.

Hi there!
Im German Vietnamese and also new in town. My VN is not perfect as I grow up in Europe. However we can meet up and hang out. I can teach you some local Vietnamese. I miss talking to English Speakers (used to live in London).

PM me:D

Cheers
Mai;)

How can you teach Vietnamese if your Vietnamese is not perfect?:D

missmae wrote:

Hi there!
Im German Vietnamese and also new in town. My VN is not perfect as I grow up in Europe. However we can meet up and hang out. I can teach you some local Vietnamese. I miss talking to English Speakers (used to live in London).

Cheers
Mai;)

drink coffee and learn vietnamese with me if u r interested in our language, of course i am not a teacher then it is free , reach to me at 0909902047 , I am working in Bitexco and living in district 3, welcome to hcm city , men.

Its more like conversation. I can teach him how to curse and how to not be ripped of. Bargain, stuff like this. I know a lot of Vietnamese who think their English is good and omo its terrible cause they pronounce it the wrong way. So its more social and its for free. Im not like one of those vn girl who wants to teach u english and dig on u cause im a foreigner here too

[moderated: please post your ad in the classifieds section]

[moderated: please register yourself in the business directory]

Hey guy

For me, we can meet up for drink and if you would like to have some vietnamese sentences, i might help you but for long term teaching, sorry i am not interested.

Nice to know you

Anh

PS: you can text me for a drink via [Moderated: Please send numbers in private]

I am interested in learning too. Can contact my email
Can also email me at [email protected]

Recommend the book Chúng Ta Nói.  Intermediate level, excellent, if you can motivate to learn from books.  Includes CDs.  Northern dialect centered.

I gave up passing on a teachers details, as most of the expats didnt bother to contact her or wanted it done dirt cheap.

colinoscapee wrote:

I gave up passing on a teachers details, as most of the expats didnt bother to contact her or wanted it done dirt cheap.

Living in a cheap country and still asking for cheaper prices? What a shame!

missmae wrote:

Hi there!

Cheers
Mai;)

Veilleicht können wir mit einander auf drei Fremdsprachen schreiben.  Ich wohne im Stadt Cần Thơ, aber oft Saigon besuchen.

Hi,

How about your Vietnamese? Is there any improvement?

@ vuvanthanh109 > Just to inform you that this thread is from October 2013  ;)

Thanks for your reminder.

I am out of update, haha, but I just want to know his progress, my friend  :D

I can teach you :).. Tell me if you still need private techer :).
This is my email: [email protected].
I give you just in case if you wanna contact to me :).

Queenie Lai wrote:

Hi there, welcome to vietnam
Learning Vietnamese is a good idea to approach life here, even in your company, you can understand basically what vietnamese staff is talking ^,^ I suggest you study at University of sociable sience and humanities on Dinh Tien Hoang street. Another way is get a tutor to teach you Vietnamese conversation. I used to teach English for vietnamese, but in my opinion, teaching vietnamese and learning vietnamese is definitely more difficult than english. However, i think you could do best because you can practice with your vietnamese staff and friend. Wish you the best in Vietnam ^,^

=> I agree with Queenie Lai. You can study Vietnamese language at USSH.

Moderated by Christine 8 years ago
Reason : free advertisement is not allowed on the forum
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Dear Victor

Great idea. I will forward this info to whom may concern! In case my support, I am willing to be counted in your team, voluntarily! ;)

You can contact me via ***

Best regards
Anh

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please avoid posting your contact details on the forum.

Hi!
I'm also looking a guy to exchange language.
If you care , contact me :)***
And we can exchange between english and Vietnamese at weekend ( Saturday, Sunday)
I also can speak Japanese.

Hope see you soon!
Phuong

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please avoid posting your contact details on the forum.

Hello everyone,

If you are looking forward to learn Vietnamese or any other language in Vietnam, please browse through the appropriate section of the website.

- Language Exchange in Ho Chi Minh City

Best of luck,
Bhavna