Need Confirmation Regarding Tax Rates For Foreigner

Hi

I am offered job in Malaysia for around 7500 MYR per month with experience of 4+ years. Is salary as per company standards?

I also want to inquire about the tax rate, as I am offered a 1 year contract even then will I have to pay 26% tax for first 6 months?
As it is one year contract I will be considered as Resident from starting in terms of tax rates or Non-Resident for first 6 months then resident thereafter.

Hi raunakkathuria!

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

It isn't complicated. The flat rate of 26% lasts 6 months. Then you are resident and taxed as a Malaysian. In March after tax year (Jan-Dec) you claim back over taxed amount. It is very quick and simple online

The way I was told, the fiscal year ends in March, then you can claim your tax difference, and it will take 3-4 months for the tax return. So if you start working in January 2013 you will see your money in 1.5 years.

Too brief of information on your problem. Need to know when is your first day of your arrival. Tax is calculated in year to year basis. You maybe resident status in one year but maybe not in subsequent year.

raunakkathuria wrote:

Hi

I am offered job in Malaysia for around 7500 MYR per month with experience of 4+ years. Is salary as per company standards?

I also want to inquire about the tax rate, as I am offered a 1 year contract even then will I have to pay 26% tax for first 6 months?
As it is one year contract I will be considered as Resident from starting in terms of tax rates or Non-Resident for first 6 months then resident thereafter.