Starting to Reconsider Ecuador- Need Advice Bad!

BlaenauBoy wrote:

Thanks for the cost breakdown Maria.

Would you or anyone else be able to give me a cost of schooling ( in Quito )?

Also, as someone who works as a paramedic in the UK what work/wages is there in Ecuador?

My gf pays $162 per month for her 6 year old's school in Quito. There's the cost of uniforms and books on top of that. It's kind of a mid range school. The trouble, right now, is finding a school with space in Quito. At the top end, you've got the International School. I don't know what it costs but you could hit up their website and ask. The low end, according to my gf, is about $100 per month, but the low cost/quality schools are totally full this year.

Dear LeftClique,

The cost of living in Ecuador pretty much depends on which part of the country you are going to be settling in. The major cities are, of course, more expensive. The rural areas are extremely poor. Of course, there's always the option of living in a small fishermen town like Canoa, or on the outskirts of a more peaceful city like Cuenca. What type of environment do you see yourself living in? A quiet beach or a touristic beach crowded with hippies? A vibrant, stressing city or a small town feel city? These are important questions you need to ask yourself. Also, consider employment opportunities, in case you're not coming here with a stable pension from your home country. You have more chances of getting a job (most likely with a lousy pay) in the main cities.

I can only talk from my personal experience, and Guayaquil is the city where I've lived most of my life. Guayaquil is Ecuador's main port and a commercial city. I've heard that you can find cheaper apartments in Cuenca, but it also depends on which neighborhood you are going to live. The nicest neighborhoods are always the most expensive.

Let me give you this example: in North Carolina, I started renting a three bedroom apartment for $550 dollars a month. It was big, we had a tennis court, a gym, maintenance staff to take care of all the units, a playground for the kids, we had private parking, etc. You also have to consider that my salary in NC was 5 times the salary that I'm earning today, in Ecuador. So, I wasn't a millionaire, but I had enough to cover for my bills without having an anxiety attack every month.

In Guayaquil, you can find decent apartments from $400, but without all the extra perks. It's also very hard, for that price, to find a furnished or even semi-furnished apartment, meaning that more than likely you will have to get your own stove, fridge, washing machine (coin laundries don't exist here), microwave, etc. So when you start adding up all the expenses, it can get very pricy.

I would of course prefer to live in a house in Samborondón or Los Ceibos, which are the two best neighborhoods in town. But then, for a bigger space and a better neighborhood, the rent starts at $800 per month, and most of the times it's over $1,000 dollars. Doesn't make much sense when you consider the average salary of an Ecuadorian, but that's the way thing are down here.

Grocery shopping for two, shopping for just what you need (food, cleaning supplies, etc) it's around $400 per month for a family of two. I'm being realistic, because no one wants to live only of rice and canned goods. So, these are my calculations buying the stuff that you need, nothing fancy, just enough to plan decent meals everyday and have a beer or a nice glass of wine every now and then.

The utility fees also vary depending on the neighborhood. Fancy neighborhoods, which are the nicest and safest, have higher rates. I live downtown and I've managed to pay no more than $40 dollars for electricity, but if you don't pay attention and leave all your lights on or use your appliances a lot or leave the A/C on all night long, you can easily get to $200 dollars a month. Water is cheap, and I don't use gas but I've heard is not expensive.

The budget that I mentioned of $3,000 a month is for a couple who really wants to live well, without worries and with enough money to eat out, travel, go shopping, you know. With $2,000 you can make a living, but then you will have to plan your budget carefully, don't pay a lot for rent, and hopefully don't have to take care of young children. When you have children, $1,000 dollars a month is not enough to cover for the expenses that only ONE CHILD represents. That is if you're planning to send your kids to a decent school with nice people, because the only good schools in Ecuador are the private schools. Public schools are really scary places and the quality of education is very, very BAD. So, for a nice school, expect to pay an average of $500 or more. There's a school for foreign children here in Guayaquil, most kids have expat parents there, and the monthly fee is $700, just so you have an idea.

Fuel is not that expensive, I have an affordable, small car, and I fill the tank with $10 dollars. I don't drive a lot so it lasts me for around 2 weeks. I don't have health insurance either, but I would strongly suggest to go to private doctors because the public health system is very frustrating and some doctors make you wonder how in the world they were able to get a degree.

My best advice is to plan a trip to Ecuador with your wife, get to visit all the cities and towns that you're interested in so you can have a first hand experience, maybe Ecuador is not the place for me but who knows, you might feel is the perfect fit for you. I would prefer to live in the States, where you can be poor but still can have an air conditioner. In Ecuador, when you have a hard time, there are no food banks, no food stamps, no welfare, no social security benefits, I mean, NO BENEFITS AT ALL. You are on your own, the government doesn't help us. I have gone through really rough times financially and the only help I received came from family members and friends. There are no financial hardship aid programs to enroll, no cash assistance, no applications for benefits to fill out, I mean, Americans are spoiled! And I envy you for that, because for us down here, that kind of life is unattainable, science-fiction material.

It's always nice to hear other people's experiences and views on different subjects, but in the end, the decision is yours, and like other people have advised on this thread, I encourage you to visit and see this reality by yourself before making a major move that you might regret afterwards.

I wish you and your family the best, take care :)

Michele

Thank you, Michele.  We don't have children, so no expenses there, and we'll be on Social Security, so we won't need jobs.  We are definitely coming to visit before making a final decision to move to Ecuador.  I appreciate your detailed response.

John

michelealzate wrote:

Dear LeftClique,

The cost of living in Ecuador pretty much depends on which part of the country you are going to be settling in. The major cities are, of course, more expensive. The rural areas are extremely poor. Of course, there's always the option of living in a small fishermen town like Canoa, or on the outskirts of a more peaceful city like Cuenca. What type of environment do you see yourself living in? A quiet beach or a touristic beach crowded with hippies? A vibrant, stressing city or a small town feel city? These are important questions you need to ask yourself. Also, consider employment opportunities, in case you're not coming here with a stable pension from your home country. You have more chances of getting a job (most likely with a lousy pay) in the main cities.

I can only talk from my personal experience, and Guayaquil is the city where I've lived most of my life. Guayaquil is Ecuador's main port and a commercial city. I've heard that you can find cheaper apartments in Cuenca, but it also depends on which neighborhood you are going to live. The nicest neighborhoods are always the most expensive.

Let me give you this example: in North Carolina, I started renting a three bedroom apartment for $550 dollars a month. It was big, we had a tennis court, a gym, maintenance staff to take care of all the units, a playground for the kids, we had private parking, etc. You also have to consider that my salary in NC was 5 times the salary that I'm earning today, in Ecuador. So, I wasn't a millionaire, but I had enough to cover for my bills without having an anxiety attack every month.

In Guayaquil, you can find decent apartments from $400, but without all the extra perks. It's also very hard, for that price, to find a furnished or even semi-furnished apartment, meaning that more than likely you will have to get your own stove, fridge, washing machine (coin laundries don't exist here), microwave, etc. So when you start adding up all the expenses, it can get very pricy.

I would of course prefer to live in a house in Samborondón or Los Ceibos, which are the two best neighborhoods in town. But then, for a bigger space and a better neighborhood, the rent starts at $800 per month, and most of the times it's over $1,000 dollars. Doesn't make much sense when you consider the average salary of an Ecuadorian, but that's the way thing are down here.

Grocery shopping for two, shopping for just what you need (food, cleaning supplies, etc) it's around $400 per month for a family of two. I'm being realistic, because no one wants to live only of rice and canned goods. So, these are my calculations buying the stuff that you need, nothing fancy, just enough to plan decent meals everyday and have a beer or a nice glass of wine every now and then.

The utility fees also vary depending on the neighborhood. Fancy neighborhoods, which are the nicest and safest, have higher rates. I live downtown and I've managed to pay no more than $40 dollars for electricity, but if you don't pay attention and leave all your lights on or use your appliances a lot or leave the A/C on all night long, you can easily get to $200 dollars a month. Water is cheap, and I don't use gas but I've heard is not expensive.

The budget that I mentioned of $3,000 a month is for a couple who really wants to live well, without worries and with enough money to eat out, travel, go shopping, you know. With $2,000 you can make a living, but then you will have to plan your budget carefully, don't pay a lot for rent, and hopefully don't have to take care of young children. When you have children, $1,000 dollars a month is not enough to cover for the expenses that only ONE CHILD represents. That is if you're planning to send your kids to a decent school with nice people, because the only good schools in Ecuador are the private schools. Public schools are really scary places and the quality of education is very, very BAD. So, for a nice school, expect to pay an average of $500 or more. There's a school for foreign children here in Guayaquil, most kids have expat parents there, and the monthly fee is $700, just so you have an idea.

Fuel is not that expensive, I have an affordable, small car, and I fill the tank with $10 dollars. I don't drive a lot so it lasts me for around 2 weeks. I don't have health insurance either, but I would strongly suggest to go to private doctors because the public health system is very frustrating and some doctors make you wonder how in the world they were able to get a degree.

My best advice is to plan a trip to Ecuador with your wife, get to visit all the cities and towns that you're interested in so you can have a first hand experience, maybe Ecuador is not the place for me but who knows, you might feel is the perfect fit for you. I would prefer to live in the States, where you can be poor but still can have an air conditioner. In Ecuador, when you have a hard time, there are no food banks, no food stamps, no welfare, no social security benefits, I mean, NO BENEFITS AT ALL. You are on your own, the government doesn't help us. I have gone through really rough times financially and the only help I received came from family members and friends. There are no financial hardship aid programs to enroll, no cash assistance, no applications for benefits to fill out, I mean, Americans are spoiled! And I envy you for that, because for us down here, that kind of life is unattainable, science-fiction material.

It's always nice to hear other people's experiences and views on different subjects, but in the end, the decision is yours, and like other people have advised on this thread, I encourage you to visit and see this reality by yourself before making a major move that you might regret afterwards.

I wish you and your family the best, take care :)

Michele

Thanks guys for your replys. Helps to get a more open minded response regarding the decision process.

Dear John and wife (sorry I don't know your name)

I just want to say how impressed I've been by your postings. I would really like to meet you if and when we three end up in Ecuador.

I'm in Canada at present. I'm a Canadian who has live in the US and Middle East. I learned high school Spanish and remember very little of it... mostly religious. If I opened my mouth they'd put me in a convent.

Having said that please let's stay in touch.

Judy

Judee wrote:

Dear John and wife (sorry I don't know your name)

I just want to say how impressed I've been by your postings. I would really like to meet you if and when we three end up in Ecuador.

I'm in Canada at present. I'm a Canadian who has live in the US and Middle East. I learned high school Spanish and remember very little of it... mostly religious. If I opened my mouth they'd put me in a convent.

Having said that please let's stay in touch.

Judy

You're too kind.  I've enjoyed your remarks as well.

My wife's name is Sandy.  We're oddballs, I suppose - atheist, bookish, blue collar.   

I've a soft spot for Canada.  My family moved often and we lived, briefly, in Hamilton, Ontario and Kamloops, British Columbia.  One of my closest friends became a Canadian citizen and teaches in Vancouver.

We hope to be in Ecuador by late next year or early 2014 and would love to meet you.

John

Dear John and Sandy,

I hope I didn't give you the impression I'm religious... but I did go to a Catholic HS.

I'm really looking forward to meeting you both.

Judy

Hey Judy since were talking about Canada,my wife and I reside in Smiths Falls,ON which is very close to you. Were heading to EC on Nov 2nd for 16 days to explore which part of the coast were going to rent for a while and then hopefully find a property to live on forever.

Kurt & Jeanette

How exciting! You'll have to keep me posted on your adventures. We'd certainly be making the same comparisons.

Have you found out yet what our government thinks about retiring to a different country?

Judy

Judee wrote:

Dear John and Sandy,

I hope I didn't give you the impression I'm religious... but I did go to a Catholic HS.

I'm really looking forward to meeting you both.

Judy

So did I but I'm still okay

Sue

Hi there
You certainly have a lot of interesting replies to your simple yet quite complicated answer.  I live in Banos Tungurahua in Ecuador and have for 6 years.
This is a sweet and quiet little tourist town.  We also sold everything and came down here with 2 young teens and a dog.  We traveled in Ecuador for 6 weeks went back to Canada came back with 2 suitcases each and quickly bought a house and moved in within 2 months.  We bought the house to ensure our residency papers and we definitely could have done it better.  We definitely paid too much for the house at the time but did not know better or how to do it better. 
These are the lessons that I have learned. Rent and live in the area first.  Check out several towns or cities for more than 3 months, the love affair/honeymoon feeling tends to soften after you give it a bit of time and reality.  If you have found your place that you love and feel good in, have an Ecuadorian who is a really really good person friend comes recommended etc help you buy the place, other wise you will pay Gringo prices.... That said if I was back in Canada and I could have got an even higher price do you think I would have sold for the higher price, so please don't judge people for trying to make money when they can..... Vancouver residents did the same thing when people from Hong Kong came over to buy property and made stupid money on selling their houses and then complained later when they could not buy back into the market due to inflated prices.  It is not a crime to sell your house for as much as you can..... 
Building standards here are not the same as your country so realize that some repairs or changes may be required to deal with the sub-standard of things.... don't judge it is the way things are.  You are in their country now and this is the way things are here. 
Please learn more Spanish if you can as it is a polite way of being in this country, again you have left your country and into theirs, so the job to adapt is up to you not the other way around.
When hiring workers, or changing things with our home you may want to involve or pay a knowledgable MALE spanish speaking friend to help you organize the crew or persons, this is a cultural and social thing and again something that you can't change as yet. I have to say this point is very important. 
I have experience in this as I am a woman and have been through this absolute frustration, this is nice when you pass the buck.
Our cost of living here in Banos is greatly less than that of Guayaquil.  I think that lady who made such a sad set of comments about Ecuador has her reasons but living here, I cannot say is in any way expensive.  Property taxes for the year: under $100.00
electricity: $30.00 using a lot per month with all the computers and lights, water $10.00 per month with 2 teenagers , 2 parents and a garden,food is totally up to you :  we have market days and enjoy the fresh produce and make a lot of our own food, that said we like to go out for dinner and can spend as low as $2.00 to $20.00 and more with alcohol.  Clothing is also up to you.  Down the road is a town called Pelileo and they make jeans there and it can be as low as  $20.00 for jeans, new. or go to the mall in Ambato and pay stupid mall prices. We have ex pat friends who pay,$100.00 per month for rent and also who pay $350.00 per month fully furnished with good security.
I do have to say that the property value has gone up here a lot since we purchased, so for investment purposes we are quite happy, and feel a bit sorry for new investors however there are many places yet to look at.
I like the mountains and this area, although we live close to a volcano it is amazing and wonderous.
Because it is a tourist town I find the people very nice and also keen on taking care of and self policing to protect the tourists after all without the tourists there would be less commerce.  When I got here vendors and people from the town, if they saw your backpack slightly open or something sticking out, they will stop you and make sure it is done up properly.
This town also has a variety of vegitarian restaurants and is more open to other flavors and tastes than other towns, they have different kinds of foods available in the restaurants than just the same fair that you see in every market in Ecuador.
Yes, there are also people here who will want and will take advantage of you but there are also those from your own country.  I can honestly say that I did not trust many of my neighbors and even some friends so take everything with a grain of salt.
I am not a person who loves big cities for so many reasons but you have many options and I think you need to remember you don't have to make all these decisions right now this instant, take your time, there are so many wonderful places in the world that you can call home and this is just one of them.
I think also that there are many ways and opportunities to make money here and niche ideas that you could really move and go crazy with, some with very little investment and of course some with lots of investment. 
I have to say that if you miss things from your old home town like foods or small electronics or even art supplies you can definitely ship them in and yes sometimes things don't get here but more often than not they do.  I have used Ebay and Amazon and have been quite pleased with the results.  Of course some people will not agree with me but there you go.
You may not have all the exact same things that you left from your old home but you can deal with it and often even make it. I often cringe when people say that the cost of food is expensive here, but then I think of the true value of the food that they left.  Do people from countries like Canada or the US understand how come that those food costs are cheaper?  I actually don't find the cost of food more expensive at all,  I can get 2-3 heads of lettuce for 25-50 cents, same with broccoli, I can get 25 oranges for $5.00, they are fresh and delicious and make great juice.  When I buy most meats I know they are fresh and I can still chat with the butcher or fisher people and find out about it. In Canada, I absolutely knew that that meat was riddled with chemicals, hormone and pesticides here I can lie to myself easier and I learned quickly who to buy it from and when.
Remember Ecuador is not a province or state from the country you come from it is its own and with that has its own special delights and problems.... such is life.
Anyway, good luck enjoy your changes in life.
Robin

Robin

Very nice post.I think there are always trade offs. That you're still there after six years says a lot.

Sue

I second that. Very informative post, Robin. I really appreciate it when people explain the costs and pros and cons not with hypotheticals, but with examples from their own experience the way you did.

Thanks Robin... from the Great White North...ha!

Robin,

Thank you.  Your thoughts and comments are exactly what my wife and I, and so many others, are searching for - honest, open, helpful information about Ecuador.  Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences.

John

thanks for all your kind thoughts.  Let me know if you have any questions that you may have.  Living here and doing it for the most part fairly happily, I don't mind sharing those experiences. 
I am an artist who paints here and am about to get over my own insecurities to start to show my art, this will be another huge adventure. 
When I look back at what I learned in the last 5-6 years, I shock myself and think that starting my art career here will be nothing, I home schooled two learning challenged kids to adulthood, and a good part of it in a foriegn country, dealt with residency papers, purchasing a house, bringing in the dog from Canada, teenage daughter and Ecuadorian boyfriends......(that is one story that requires sedatives), etc..... But my partner/husband was also a huge part of it and couldn't be done with out him.
Have and enjoy your adventure to living in another country and the joys and challenges that it brings.....This can be an amazing country if it is meant for you if not that is ok to find another one.
Robin

Robin,
Ver interesting post, we also are Canadians who purchase property in Ecuador, selling everything and moving. From my last trip to,Ecuador I concluded I can buy anything I need, except for books, how is your experience with Amazon,  does it take long? One thing I am not willing to give up are books, not for me e- reader.
Thanks
Eva

Hey there
I have had stuff come from Amazon in one week and other times in 8 weeks.  There is no rhyme or reason to that.  I purchase/rent a post box in our town.  I have also heard that people are using the mail service that is through Miami that Ecuador post service will work through for supposedly faster service, but I don't see any difference, there. I also like Ebay, and sometimes Dick Blick for art supplies. (although S-banda in Quito sells decent art supplies.)
About the post service, my suggestion is to get to know your people who work in them, get to know their names, ask them how their day is going and such and try to do everything with a smile and politeness even when it is tough and you have to get whatever paper copied yet again.  It is not to be nosy or be a suck up it is kind courtesy.  I do this and now I go in and the employees are happy to see me, they have kept an eye out for my stuff, and often tell me if I should stay in the line up or that there is nothing there for me over the top of other people so I don't have to waste my time, or whatever.  Politeness ensures that you don't have to reopen and repack a package that you want to send to loved ones so they can check it a second time and have extra copies of papers and stuff like that because you have been a little bit short with them, this happens in Canada also, just a suggestion. 
I only use E-books now.  Buying and carrying books is tough and heavy.  I don't want to waste weight with my luggage capacity on books when it could be something else.  I am an avid reader and had to adapt to an ereader and now I love it, my entire library is less than a couple of oz.  There are several book stores in Quito that I have used in the past.  The English Book Store and Confederate Book Store in the Mariscal in Quito, both are second hand books stores.  There is a large book store also in the Mall de Jardin, theirs' is mostly spanish but they do have an English section.  There are also tons of book exchanges in hotels and such. All books can be really expensive and it sucks if you don't have something interesting to read for bed...... I am sure that other people can give you wayyyy more other options.  Shipping is still quite costly and if you can adapt and soften a bit it could save you a fortune in shipping.....
My suggestion is pay for shipping when it is worth it, like spices/foods or tools or other kinds of supplies..... for things you absolutely require but can't get here.  It is a neat test for yourself to find out what you can and cannot live without.
Robin

Thanks Robin,
That is really good info,  at least I know I can get Amazon delivery sooner or later. No, for me it is the real books only, no matter of the cost. We will be living around Manta and there is not really anything in English,
I went to  the malls you mentioned in Quito, found everything else even great lecrueset dishes, but very limited book selections.
Eva

did you check out the two used book stores.... yeah, I don't think that there is much on the coast for books..... Cuenca has used book stores but I am not sure where.
Yeah life is hard here for the leisure readers, that is why I had to adapt and just get used to the e-reader.  Sorry, I can't give you better news about the reading thing.
Robin

Robin,
Your info is very valuable and it is good to know about Amazon, or trying shipping from Miami,  once I live in Ecuador I will try both.

EvaCanada wrote:

not for me e- reader

You seem sure about this, but have you given them a chance?  I ask because I assumed I'd feet the same way until my wife gave me a Kindle Paperwhite.  I haven't read a regular book since.  It is absolutely the best present I ever got in my life.  I can read at night without a light, it turns itself off, holds my place, gives definitions at a touch from the OED and is customizable for font, margin and brightness.  Tough?  I bought a thin case, carry it in the back pocket of my overalls (I'm a carpenter) and sit on it while driving.  Take it from a life-long bibliophile - try one.

Now that I've bored you, and everyone else, to tears with my impassioned ode to the e-reader, I have a question for expats with readers - is the 3G feature worth the extra 70 bucks? or are you satisfied with downloading via computer and/or wi-fi?

LeftClique wrote:
EvaCanada wrote:

not for me e- reader

You seem sure about this, but have you given them a chance?  I ask because I assumed I'd feet the same way

Put me down as another bibliophile who has made the switch to e-readers and couldn't be happier.

There are few (more like 'no') good book stores in the Philippines, and what's available is overpriced, so I was dependent on downloading for reading material while there. Now that I've experienced the pleasures of e-reading (like taking my whole library of 1400 books with me on a trans-Pacific flight) I'll never go back to paper books.

BobH wrote:
LeftClique wrote:
EvaCanada wrote:

not for me e- reader

You seem sure about this, but have you given them a chance?  I ask because I assumed I'd feet the same way

Put me down as another bibliophile who has made the switch to e-readers and couldn't be happier.

There are few (more like 'no') good book stores in the Philippines, and what's available is overpriced, so I was dependent on downloading for reading material while there. Now that I've experienced the pleasures of e-reading (like taking my whole library of 1400 books with me on a trans-Pacific flight) I'll never go back to paper books.

No argument from me. However, I mostly read on my 5 inch Samsung Galaxy wifi-only tablet. While a dedicated e-reader is great, the tablet gives me additional utility such as GPS capability which I use quite frequently around Cuenca when I am riding the bus. With GPS I do not have to pay attention to where I am.  Plus I have many spanish dictionaries and RSS readers for news feeds I pull down from the internet. Of course if I read using the Kindle app on my tablet, I can synchronize with the Kindle e-reader as well for last page read.

Most people use a smartphone for this same purpose. I still have never owned one of those, however, although I probably would if I were in the states, given the fact they are relatively cheap now.

Nards Barley wrote:

I mostly read on my 5 inch Samsung Galaxy wifi-only tablet.

I use a tablet as well, though mine is a cheap Chinese no-name (brand is HUG) that I bought in Manila -- works well enough, and as you note, gives me various wifi functions in addition to reading.

Maybe we ought to have an ereader thread, since we're way off the original topic now.

I like to have my different tools for different things and I like a full battery for my book when I want it.  I use a Sony PRS-T1 ereader.  It holds endless books.  My husband likes is 5 inch tablet and uses it for everything and by the end of the day the battery can be drained and I could not read. I really love to read before bed and I know that I have not drained the battery using it for other things.  So if I were to buy a tablet I would use it for tablet things not ereader things.  I came down to Ecuador with one of my suitcases full of books and easily hit the maxium weight for airlines and realized that an ereader weighs so much less and I can bring down other things instead and I read those books in less than a month. I at first fought the ereader idea with a vengeance but then had to submit to practicality.... Now when I hold my ereader it is so nice and light and compact and has a huge library, reading with a book seems cumbersome.  I miss the smell of books though but that is really about it.  I also LOVE trees and know that no trees were used to create my ereader.
This was not meant to change your mind, this was written because I love to share with other people who love their ereaders too.  If I could I would go to an ereader show and browse and compare.... for hours.
Technology is just so amazing.  I love the GPS thing too....my husband loves the geo caching and I love helping him wander around finding them, it is a great way to hike and vicariously travel around the world.  Check it out.

moulynart wrote:

I like to have my different tools for different things and I like a full battery for my book when I want it.  I use a Sony PRS-T1 ereader.  It holds endless books.  My husband likes is 5 inch tablet and uses it for everything and by the end of the day the battery can be drained and I could not read. I really love to read before bed and I know that I have not drained the battery using it for other things.

Sony eReaders are great for the Spanish learner because they come with the built-in Oxford Spanish-English dictionaries. I own a PRS-T1 for that reason, although I prefer Kindles due to the ability to synchronize across devices.

Yeah, if you read on a tablet or smartphone it is useful to have a backup device to switch to at the end of the day.

Not being particularly tech savy, or up to date on all the latest things. Not really sure if the e-reader is the same thing I got, or not, but upgraded things a few months back, and have something called google playbooks on my tablet, and smartphone. Is really great. Almost like a real book in that you turn the pages like in a real book, but from the smart screen. Not sure if what you guys use does the same, but thought what I got is really cool, and works really well.

j600rr wrote:

Not being particularly tech savy, or up to date on all the latest things. Not really sure if the e-reader is the same thing I got, or not, but upgraded things a few months back, and have something called google playbooks on my tablet, and smartphone. Is really great. Almost like a real book in that you turn the pages like in a real book, but from the smart screen. Not sure if what you guys use does the same, but thought what I got is really cool, and works really well.

Looking at it online, it looks like Google Playbooks is an ereader app that ties in to the books/mags/etc that Google has on their app site. Probably makes it very easy to download stuff from there (like Kindle or a Kindle app makes it easy to download from Amazon).

I use the FBreader app for reading on my tablet, and it works well for me. There are a bunch of choices and most of them make it easy to turn pages just by tapping the screen. What I like is that they re-open the book to exactly where I was -- so I never lose my place.

BobH wrote:
j600rr wrote:

Looking at it online, it looks like Google Playbooks is an ereader app that ties in to the books/mags/etc that Google has on their app site. Probably makes it very easy to download stuff from there (like Kindle or a Kindle app makes it easy to download from Amazon).

I use the FBreader app for reading on my tablet, and it works well for me. There are a bunch of choices and most of them make it easy to turn pages just by tapping the screen. What I like is that they re-open the book to exactly where I was -- so I never lose my place.

Thanks Bob.

Am so far behind all these new things, but have to admit since I finally upgraded to a smartphone, and tablet, am loving the conveniences. Think probably only understand maybe 10% at most of all the functions, but that still keeps me occupied.

Always swore would never get a smartphone, but that's the best thing have ever gotten. Got an unlocked lg so can when travel internationally only have to get a sim card from that country. Last trip to Ecuador didn't bother getting a sim card, but was still able to use it anywhere wifi was available for internet. I mean how cool is that? Got a little phone and am pretty much connected anywhere all over the world.

BobH wrote:

looks like Google Playbooks is an ereader app that ties in to the books/mags/etc that Google has on their app site. Probably makes it very easy to download stuff from there (like Kindle or a Kindle app makes it easy to download from Amazon)

I should have brought this up: Amazon makes it difficult to impossible to import books to their e-readers from anyone but Amazon.  That said, like other vendors, they have an arrangement with public libraries and that's where I've gotten all my books this year - for free.  In Ecuador, I imagine it would make financial sense to buy a tablet or a second, different e-reader.  Project Gutenberg has zillions of classics, the great literature, and recommends the Nexus 7.  Another thing; maybe it's just me, but I find it impossible to read a book sitting at my computer, I have to have the same freedom to walk, lounge and roll over as I do with a paper book.

LeftClique wrote:

Project Gutenberg has zillions of classics, the great literature, and recommends the Nexus 7.

I have downloaded many, many books from Gutenberg and never had any problem using my netbook, my cheap tablet, or my laptop.

Other good free sites are Manybooks and Feedbooks.

Remember also that Ecuador may well have different copyright laws than the US (US copyright rules are very restrictive), so you may be able to legally use the Gutenberg Australia or Canada sites, which have books Gutenberg US can't offer.

[Moderated: Off topic.]

Grace, As far as food goes, I know there is a guy named Gray (I can't think of his first name at the moment), who has a big organic farm about 30 miles or so South of Cuenca.  He brings his organic produce to Cuenca to sell two days a week.  I asked him if he has grassfed, organic meats, eggs, and dairy for sale, and he said he will eventually.
  For apartments, I hear you can still get a decent rental for $300 or $400 unfurnished, but only in an Ecuadorian neighborhood, not in expat areas.   I heard Southeast Cuenca is best as far as price.  When do you plan on moving?  I'm headed to Cuenca in 6 months or so if my house sells.

Lefty,
Hey, long time.
You and I have conversed over the years, and I think you and your wife are the perfect candidates for Ecuador. You have been very straightforward in explaining your current situation,  and have determined where you are now, isn't where you want to be.
The single greatest thing you have going for yourself is that you don't have unreasonable expectations and are willing to accept a lifestyle many expats aren't willing to.
The gal I bought my motorcycle from in Cuenca rented an apartment for $ 350.00 a month. It was certainly serviceable, just a little out of the way. But, at 25 cents for  bus fare, really not a big deal. Skip Super Maxi and hit the local mercado. There are so many cost saving things one can do, but most of us aren't willing to.
Say " Hey " to the Wife and the "Couch Thugs" < Grin >
Be Well
Ps. I am currently on a swing through the coast. I write from Esmeraldes.
< waiting for an earthquake> Going to go through Columbia and then back down to Cuenca, then  to Playas, then back to The US.

ZenSPIKE wrote:

Going to go through Columbia and then back down to Cuenca.

Don't drive/ride at night through southern Colombia.

Avoid the Moto Night Riders....

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=634337

Have a good trip. :)

-- cccmedia

Thanks for the heads up. We are leaving early in the morning from Esmeraldas, about a 6 hour drive. Should be safe and secure arriving early afternoon.
Be Well
Ps. I just read of your harrowing experience. You handled it like a champ. I might have just slammed on the binders and kept on going after the contact. Glad you survived with minimal damage. Your safety, of course, was the paramount issue in this scenerio. Cars can be repaired, life is fragile. We only get one shot at it. < I think >

ZenSPIKE wrote:

We are leaving early in the morning from Esmeraldas, about a 6 hour drive. Should be safe and secure arriving early afternoon.
Be Well.

That's about what I thought when I headed north in my car from the border town of Tulcán, Ecuador, after consulting the map.

It looked like it would be about a six hour drive and I would get to my day's destination by early evening.

There were two big problems slowing me down, though, and that's before I encountered the Moto Night Riders...

1.  The Panamericana highway -- and this is not shown on most maps -- is mostly through hill country in southern Colombia.  On inclines, passing is difficult .. and that probably includes safe passing of other vehicles if riding a motorcycle.  Posted speeds tend to be low-maximums and, in some spots, extreme caution is indicated, meaning absurdly slow going.

2. It was a rainy day .. and that made things even slower.  I was going 12 miles an hour for about 90 minutes before the monos en moto attacked me.  In fact, it was probably my slow speed that made me an inviting target.

As a result of 1. and 2., I was still driving the Panamericana after midnight, when the malditos made their move.

Be safe.

cccmedia in La Zona Cafetera, Colombia

ZenSPIKE wrote:

Thanks for the heads up. We are leaving early in the morning from Esmeraldas, about a 6 hour drive. Should be safe and secure arriving early afternoon.
Be Well
Ps. I just read of your harrowing experience. You handled it like a champ. I might have just slammed on the binders and kept on going after the contact. Glad you survived with minimal damage. Your safety, of course, was the paramount issue in this scenerio. Cars can be repaired, life is fragile. We only get one shot at it. < I think >

Good to hear from you!  Seems you got "too busy to write" after moving to Ecuador.  Just like you hoped it would be!  :)