Considering a move to Turks and Caicos

Hi I am from Canada all my life. I am considering make a move to Turks and Caicos. i am interested in buying some real-estate and renting out to other Canadians for their vacations. Being in the Hospitality business and loving it this island attracts me. I have some questions if anyone can Please help me with. Is it possible to bring my cat and dog with me? How do you bring some furnishing to the Islands. Is there health care? Thanks very much for any input you can be.

Hello Wenday.

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I have moved your message to the Turks and Caicos Islands for more visibility and interaction with the other members.

Thanks.

Karen :)

Thanks VERY much indeed :)

Hi Wenday - it is possible to bring a dog/cat with you. They will need a pet passport. I have friends who have done it but am not familiar with the process myself.
There are shipping companies who will ship your furnishings to the island e.g tropical shipping. Items usually incur a customs charge (very expensive) but this is waived if you are relocating to the island. So you will only pay shipping costs.
There is a Public Health Service provided by inter health Canada which is paid for by nhib - you either pay contributions yourself or your employer will pay on your behalf. Each hospital visit costs $10 to prevent over use of the system. However, if you just need a general practitioner and do not want to wait at the hospital etc. there are a number of private medical centers and it costs approx $150 for a standard appointment.
Any more questions please let me know. I moved here from the UK 8 months ago.

Hi Thanks so much for your welcomed response. I really appreciate any help as I am just gathering information to see if we could make the move.  I have heard food is expensive there, can you not grow your own vegetables and fruit? Thanks so much for taking the time Hugs Wendy

Groceries are very expensive - my food bill is $350
A week for a family of 3. But we do like to eat very healthily and fruit and veg is expensive because of it's short shelf life.
The climate and soil here makes it quite difficult to cultivate fruit and veg. Most of the vegetables produced on island are hydroponically grown. The cost of water is very high here so it would be expensive to keep a vegetable patch. I do know people who have fruit trees and keep chickens though.