Ipiales crossing and Tumaco

Hello to all in the Colombia forum.  I am traveling in South America and left Colombia 15th October 2012 for Ecuador. Since then have been in Ecuador, then Peru and now back in Ecuador.  My visa here  expires Oct 26th so I am headed for the border at Ipiales. When I was in Colombia last time I did not visit the Pacific coast due to the reputation of Buenaventura.  Now that I am returning I am curious about Tumaco, whether it  is safe for an American back packer.  I surfed on the Caribbean side and since I am coming back, would like to try the Pacific.

Also if anyone can comment on recent problems at Ipiales for  the border crossing i.e. crime, I would appreciate it.

Regards

Expat42451

I'm the first to defend Colombia from unfair and unjustified judgements. That said Tumaco is not safe. I'm sure you will survive but it's not worth the risk. FARC and narco-traffickers are very active in this area, actually the entire department.

http://yoursmiles.org/ksmile/flag6/brazil-flag-waving-smile.gif

Matt V. - Manaus, Amazonas, Brasil
Visit my Personal Blog - brazilbs.blogspot.com

Matt V

Thanks very much for the info on Tumaco. I am currently in Ipiales, crossed  Friday.  I have also talked to a number of people here who have told me the same thing. I would like to visit the Pacific coast of Colombia but  with what I am hearing it isn't worth the risk. No need to go in harms way needlessly.

Again many thanks for the reply and interest.

Expat42451