Is Asuncio safe to raise kids

Hi Guys,

this is my first post and i am looking to move to paraguay with my wife and two kids. since i have a family my main concern is the safety of the city in first place.
in second place, i would like to know your opinion on openning a business like a resturant, cafe, or even a supermarket, or even a retail shop.

please advise and let me know your opinions.:)

Best Regards

Hello ALIF2 and welcome to Expat.com :)

I would suggest you to browse the two following threads:

1. Starting a business in Paraguay

2. Is Paraguay a dangerous place to live in?

Hope it will help.

Thanks

Karen :)

Friend,
I visited Asuncion 8 times before I moved here and after being a resident for one year, I can tell you that the city is like most all others (basing my opinion on USA). Asuncion has its great, good, average, and not so good areas.

For example, today is sunday or 1st day and at almost 11am I find it very peaceful in my neighborhood. The street noise is very low...birds are singing...not much foot traffic and very little street traffic at all. Of course we are in an established, above average part of the city. A small neighborhood store is on the corner (owned for about 25 years by the same family of Koreans) and the police substation is around the corner a couple of blocks away.

While my wife and I live in a nicer part of the city, there are those areas to avoid as consideration even for driving through. You will understand when you visit.

Schools are good and some are exceptional. Those that are private of course are the best, but there are some public which are good as well. A few of them are English schools but be prepared to pay for the quality...but not much compared to the states. Churches are represented here with about 85%-90% Roman Catholic. Others which I know of are orthodox, protestant, mormon and independent christian. Actually there maybe be a temple of some far eastern religion too.

You will find there is very little or no racial or religious prejudice at all. It is a pleasantly peaceful environment for children to grow up in. The people are as warm as the climate. Very friendly and open...interested in others and for the most part civilized and respectful of the peace brought through law and order.

As far as business; as a whole the national economy is growing rapidly compared to the world average...something like 11%-13% this year. Many construction projects are all over the area and the business climate is healthy here. I would say there is a need for niche restaurants or those which offer foods not widely served here. Currently, we have many places which have typical foods and Italian foods are the most common. I think there is one or so which does serve mid eastern type food as we do have residents who are from that region.

You need to visit and get a feel for what Asuncion is about. Hopefully, you will find it as I do; a paradise for my family away from the widespread tragedies of the world. It's not perfect, no place is...however Asuncion is exceptional.