Tourist Visa, Non-tourist visa, non-residential visa or NRN card!?

Hi, this is an ex-Nepali writing here. I am going to Nepal soon, and I have been checking around info regarding immigration to Nepal. I thought I would visit Nepal with a tourist visa but then I came across non-tourist visa and non-residential visa. As being a former Nepali, I am qualified for both but I don't understand how I should apply for the said visa/s, and things become harder when we don't have a Nepali embassy in this part of the world.

So, I am thinking of getting tourist visa for 30 days at Trivuban Airport, and after that I go knock the immigration mantralaya's door for non-tourist visa or non-residential visa.

Anyway, I am here to gather info as how to people (foreigners of Nepali origin) have handled non-tourist and/or non-residential visa.

It's confusing to read available materials online, and more than that, it seems there aren't just enough info provided online by Nepali govt.

Btw, how's this NRN card? Any ideas? I particularly don't like the part where I have to prove that I have cancelled Nepali Citizenship.... mah eyes may get wet if I start thinking in the direction :(

As you can see, everyone is confused. Many people go to the immigration office and try to get it sorted out, but there are several people standing around trying to 'help' tourists. They are only freelancers trying to pick up a few rupees off the tourists. The problem is they don't disclose how much their fee is and they try to get you for as much as they can. Then if you bring a local, Nepali guide who is working with you they will split the extra and if there are two guys the undisclosed price goes way up.

You can go to the office and look at the huge signs on the wall, but it doesn't always help because the instructions are very abbreviated. Your post didn't say where you are, but if there is a consulate assigned to you where you are you should probably email him. I think that would be your easiest, most accurate way to do it. I think it's best to have a game plan before you get here and some actual knowledge.

Bottom line: Do not trust the 'freelance' people who work with visas. Not only are they a waste of money, but they can cause you so much harm and you won't even know it until you try to renew the next time. Then, Surprise! taxes weren't paid, etc.

I've been following this thread for a long time and haven't seen much in the way of accurate, definitive information. Well, that's Nepal. Check out my blog for an interesting prospective into Nepal:FrugalTravelsNepal.blogspot.com

update-

Embassy of Nepal, Denmark says it issues tourist visa only.

btw thanks madagascar... seems Ive been long away from Nepal that I totally forgot about bribery.

I don't intend to feed those crooks, and encourage also others not to bribe them.

You have a nice blog, keep it up.

Thanks, glad I could help. Also, keep in mind that an actual government will come to Nepal somehow and then they will probably allow duel citizenship. I would love to be a naturalized Nepali, but giving up US citizenship to get it is a bit steep. Imagine if I needed to go home for a family issue and having to wait in line for a visa!

Thanks, Madagascarnow. I love your blog! It saved me some problems. I think anyone coming to Nepal should read it, Nepal:FrugalTravelsNepal.blogspot.com

Your website was also very helpful, but I didn't buy the book. I wish i did.

Thanks so much. Glad you are enjoying it. Actually it's frugaltravelsnepal.blogspot.com