ATM's in Paraguay

Can anybody confirm that ATM's in Paraguay allow you to withdraw in US$?
Thanks!

Yes you can

Thank you!
Sorry to bother you with another one: do you withdraw from US bank by any chance and what is the official/unofficial exchange rates to US$?
Appreciate it.

Hey,

Well while my sister was out in Paraguay she said there was a local atm where she was able to take out US $ with her canadian bank card. As long as it has the PLUS international symbol on the atm it should be possible! Just make sure that your bank in the us allows for international transactions. When I tried with my old bank card,my account was locked for suspicion of theft.

Also now that I'm with HSBC , they actually have that bank in Paraguay so I can just take out from their atm's with just a 3$ transation charge. Not too bad!

If you're looking for exchage rates, go to "cambios chaco" website. Just google it and it will tell you exactly what you're looking for.

Hope that helped! 

Tera :)

Thanks, tera!
Yea, HSBC charges me 3% every time, dollars or other currencies.

3% or $3?  There's a huge difference between the two.  If you are withdrawing $300, then 3% is $9, almost twice as much as using any other ATM.

It is 3% with HSBC always even if you withdraw USD.

Ok, guys, I am in Asuncion now, and what has not been mentioned is that any ATM here charges $5US or 25000 Guaranies to withdraw any amount in addition to all other fees and the max is from $150 to $300US per  withdrawal depending which bank and $600 per day, in the whole Paraguay you cannot get more from the same card. Pretty expensive and sad... Bring your cash with you.

isn't it better to just withdraw guaranies ? As it the local currency ? You can pay in Guaranies, yes to in dollar, and a lot of times as well in Euro. But in most cases, your money will be recalculated in the local currency, and mostly at too low rate.

For local spending you'll need some guaranies, although almost anyone accepts US$.

US and other bankcards are accepted in the atms as the "networks" are all international. Some of the machines will offer either USD or PY Guarani (local currency). Daily withdrawal amounts apply as the disclaimers read, so make certain you are aware of what your bank allows. Best to utilize more than one card from different banks.

Traveling note that as of late the USD is not being readily accepted in Argentina. Best advice if you fly from the states to Buenos Aires is to get some Argentinian pesos in advance from Bank of America or another currency outlet until you arrive in Paraguay where they still do accept greenbacks.

In addition, there are certain federal reserve notes(USA)$100 bills which will not be taken such as "CB" "D" and maybe more. Another very important thing is do not bring currency that has any rip or small torn place. They will reject it and you'll be stuck until you return to the US or your home nation. There are "street" alternatives which will exchange that "c note" for less and you'll lose some money in the transaction.

The reason for the non acceptance is counterfeiting which is an active threat in foreign countries as well as at home. If you speak Spanish call a cambio (exchange company) such as Maxicambios which is a chain in Paraguay. They will tell you the series of $100 bills which they won't touch. There could be issues with other currencies also...for example, GBP, Euros etc.

Take time and care with your money when you are at home before your trip to Paraguay to avoid problems with paper money. Have a nice trip.

caja wrote:

US and other bankcards are accepted in the atms as the "networks" are all international. Some of the machines will offer either USD or PY Guarani (local currency). Daily withdrawal amounts apply as the disclaimers read, so make certain you are aware of what your bank allows. Best to utilize more than one card from different banks.

Traveling note that as of late the USD is not being readily accepted in Argentina. Best advice if you fly from the states to Buenos Aires is to get some Argentinian pesos in advance from Bank of America or another currency outlet until you arrive in Paraguay where they still do accept greenbacks.

That is not entirely true, In Argentina what you can't do is to "buy" foreign currency but there is no problem at all with selling it.

If you want the best "official" rates go to a bank like "Banco Nacion" or "Banco Piano", don't use the first currency exchange shop that you find in the airport because they are going to abuse with the rates.

I would keep a good amount in US Dollar cash to use when shopping or at restaurants as the rates would be much higher.

As people can't get dollars legally, there is a parallel market that pays almost double for it.

If you have family or friends in Argentina, please ask if they don't want dollars, you can get a lot more for your money and the fact is Everyone wants dollars in Argentina.

As an example the normal official rate is currently 5.8 pesos per each dollar. In the parallel market (called Blue market) you can get 9.5 pesos p/dollar. it's a huge difference.

Only remember this practice is forbidden and you should only do that if you find people that you know, wanting to buy your dollars. Don't try to go to the street to sell it yourself because you are going to be ripped off or worse.

Thanks, please ask if you have questions, I am an Argentinian currently living in London.

It went a bit off topic, but, anyway.
If you travel to Argentina: bring US Dollars or any other "good" currency in cash! for the whole duration of your trip. While selling on the street is illegal, so are many other things, like riding on the motorcycle with small kids, not letting pedestrians pass etc. etc., and nobody gives a damn, police including. In Salta, you sell on the street with no trouble whatsoever. 5.8 or 9.8 - you decide.
Most hostels, like ours, will buy from you w/o going on the street.
Cheers!