Hello everybody, i am new here and come from Vietnam.

Hello everybody, I am Hoàng, come from Vietnam, join this website with the hopes to make friends, share experiences in life. Now i am learning English and it is sure that i will make a lot of mistakes in grammar and i need all your help to improve my English.

Hello, my name is Rob. I am  thinking of moving there soon as possible. Hope to make as friends as possible.I am coming from Hawaii.

Aloha

Dear Lamhoang,
By talking, by correcting, by much more practice,  English can be improved. 
GM

Thank you for your advise, mallikarjuna and welcome Rob. We can be friends and i hope we can see each other in Vietnam, Rob.

Hello Lamhong,

Welcome to Expat-blog. You sure will make a lot of new friends. As for improving your English, Practice makes perfect.

B. Vasosky

Hi Robbo,

As a new member here, I advise you to start talking to people, not only those in the country you are hoping to visit or work but also to other members as well. They will be able to give you a lot of advice and help you in any way they can with information or even meeting you up.

Sincerely,

B. Vasosky

BenjaminVasosky wrote:

Hi Robbo,

As a new member here, I advise you to start talking to people, not only those in the country you are hoping to visit or work but also to other members as well. They will be able to give you a lot of advice and help you in any way they can with information or even meeting you up.

Sincerely,

B. Vasosky

I know what you mean, i just say hoping to see Rob in Vietnam because he said he wants to move to Vietnam. I am new here and of course would like to talk to everybody.
By the way, i am friendly but maybe sometime the way i share is not so good. Forgive if i make mistake.

hello lamhoang,

welcome to join the house of expat-blog.

U hu..
Surprise! i ever thinked that have many Vietnamese here! Hi!!!

hwanghuydo wrote:

U hu..
Surprise! i ever thinked that have many Vietnamese here! Hi!!!

You think can find an oversea girl here? hihihi, just fun!

'Hello everybody, I am Hoàng, come from Vietnam, join this website with the hopes to make friends, share experiences in life. Now i am learning English and it is sure that i will make a lot of mistakes in grammar and i need all your help to improve my English.'
Hi Lamhoang,  Lanes English, ( Probook ), is a very useful download for you, it includes examples of words VN's have trouble with, also pictures of the position of the tongue, showing you  how to pronounce these words.
  I don't think you can copy and paste on here, I can sent it to you, or anyone else that is interested.( I also had my translated to VN ).
  My e-mail address is [email protected] ( will this work ????)

My name is Hoang too. :))
this forum is great for us to connect with our friends on over the world and learning English well. :D

I think the best way to learning English is try to study some internationcal education and certificate such as: TOEIC or TOELF.

If you live in HCMC every Sunday at 8am in the Cultural center in 4 Pham Ngoc Thanh street District 1.
Students gather there at the English Speaking club. It's a good way to practice your conversational English. I have given talks there several times.
I think there is a nominal charge of 5000dong to enter.

Thanks for that info Pierre.  I will be moving back to Viet Nam in a month or so and will try to take that in.  I lived in Nha Trang for a year and am now in Philippines.  I help start an English Corner in Nha Trang so people would have a place to practice English with foreigners for free.  It is still ongoing and very popular. The biggest problem is getting foreigners to attend.  I have not decided where to settle this time but perhaps HCMC.  Thanks again for your post and hope others here can participate.

bluenz wrote:

'Hello everybody, I am Hoàng, come from Vietnam, join this website with the hopes to make friends, share experiences in life. Now i am learning English and it is sure that i will make a lot of mistakes in grammar and i need all your help to improve my English.'
Hi Lamhoang,  Lanes English, ( Probook ), is a very useful download for you, it includes examples of words VN's have trouble with, also pictures of the position of the tongue, showing you  how to pronounce these words.
  I don't think you can copy and paste on here, I can sent it to you, or anyone else that is interested.( I also had my translated to VN ).

Hello Chris, I am also in Quang Ngai teaching.  Will be here for 2 more months.  Welcome to Lamhoang, this is a good place to meet people and learn about each other.

bluenz wrote:

Well, this is confusing.

In your profile it reads:
About me
Born in NZ, but spent many years in Australia, mainly SA, the last 3 years in Darwin, ( acclimatising???? ) , now been in Central VN for nearly 3 yrs, every week is a new ' experience ', the limits of some peoples stupidity still amazes me, here it is called culture? Thank god I have an intelligent dog to keep me sane.
I can speak English, some Viet
My birthday is on 11 July, I was born in 1958

So Hoàng, are you using someone else's account?

AH!  I get it now.  You're just "copying and pasting"  Chris, use the "quote" button and it'll make it clear who is talking/writing.

DirtyPierre wrote:

If you live in HCMC every Sunday at 8am in the Cultural center in 4 Pham Ngoc Thanh street District 1.
Students gather there at the English Speaking club. It's a good way to practice your conversational English. I have given talks there several times.
I think there is a nominal charge of 5000dong to enter.

That's good to know.  But the OP is in Nha Trang.

hwanghuydo wrote:

I think the best way to learning English is try to study some internationcal education and certificate such as: TOEIC or TOELF.

Sorry man, but that's the biggest SCAM in the world sold by many language centers to milk money from students.  I think the British introduce that in their language system, since TOEIC and TOELF doesn't mean anything in America.  You don't get a certificate proving you know English...you just need to open your mouth and people will know.

The BEST way to learn English is through immersion in the culture and environment where English is used all the time.  It is the BEST way to learn any language actually. 

Actually I take it back.  Your opinion may matter if we're talking about "writing" English whereas I am talking about "verbal" language.  We're communicating via writing English right now and many Vietnamese are very good at this form.  However, when communicating in person, someone with a TOEIC or TOELF certificate probably will not do better than the shop-keepers at Bến Thành Market.

To me, the verbal communication is more important. 

Nha Trang has many foreigners since it is a tourist town.  The OP can just hang out in a market/place where there are many foreigners and can practice speaking English there...without paying a dime.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:
bluenz wrote:

Well, this is confusing.

In your profile it reads:
About me
Born in NZ, but spent many years in Australia, mainly SA, the last 3 years in Darwin, ( acclimatising???? ) , now been in Central VN for nearly 3 yrs, every week is a new ' experience ', the limits of some peoples stupidity still amazes me, here it is called culture? Thank god I have an intelligent dog to keep me sane.
I can speak English, some Viet
My birthday is on 11 July, I was born in 1958

So Hoàng, are you using someone else's account?

AH!  I get it now.  You're just "copying and pasting"  Chris, use the "quote" button and it'll make it clear who is talking/writing.

This is what you get using the quote button, and you talk about the Web Police????????

Hi THD

"So Hoàng, are you using someone else's account?"
I don't understand, I am new here, i use my own account. What wrong here?

bluenz wrote:

This is what you get using the quote button, and you talk about the Web Police????????

Well, I had no idea what you wrote since it was hard to distinguish different "speakers".  The technology is there to aid in communication.  When you use the "Quote" button, it clears up alot of mis-communications.

You see how people can mis-understand, just like I did when you use the tools of this blog?

bluenz wrote:

'Hello everybody, I am Hoàng, come from Vietnam, ...

In this instance, "bluenz wrote...I am Hoàng".  Only when I went to the top did I realize there were two different speakers. If you use the "Quote" button, the technology would have differentiated speakers...such as you see below:

bluenz wrote:
lamhoang wrote:

Hello everybody, I am Hoàng, come from Vietnam, join this website with the hopes to make friends, share experiences in life. Now i am learning English and it is sure that i will make a lot of mistakes in grammar and i need all your help to improve my English.

lamhoang wrote:

Hi THD

Don't worry about him Lam, he obviously has little else to do at night, everyone else has forgiven me for my lack of blogging experience.( not every website is the same ).
  Actually wondering why his user name is a Street in Quang Ngai?, and how long has Vung Tau been rural?

bluenz wrote:
lamhoang wrote:

Hi THD

Don't worry about him Lam, he obviously has little else to do at night, everyone else has forgiven me for my lack of blogging experience.( not every website is the same ).
  Actually wondering why his user name is a Street in Quang Ngai?, and how long has Vung Tau been rural?

Wow dude, are you that short fused to resort to personal attacks already after I advised you on how to use the "Quote" button?

Wow calm down no one is trying to insult anyone. Don't take things out of context we need a sarcasm emoticon.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:
bluenz wrote:
lamhoang wrote:

Hi THD

Wow dude, are you that short fused to resort to personal attacks already after I advised you on how to use the "Quote" button?

Thanks for advising on the use of the quote button, but you were starting to remind me of another website, where this person used to reply to every single post and nearly every postee.  But at least sometimes your posts have a little humour in them.
    Have a nice day.

Hi,
   If any of you need help with English, I am  a wonderful CELTA QUALIFIED teacher who specializes in IELTS. All my students get 7.5, so please contact me if you need help I will be in Hanoi from November 5th email me ; [email protected]
   I am writing a book about it, also about kwan am and also  a novel. B e happy :) David :)

Hi Lamhoang my names Luke, Im 38 years old and Ive been teaching english here in Nha Trang for nearly 2 years. I am also learning Vietnamese and would like some help with that. Are you from Nha Trang?

Bluenz,
   You got to take THD with a grain of salt, he is not the brightest light on the tree. In time you will see about all he says as just great humor. Apart from his rudeness and proclivity to refer to people as "dude". I suspect that just comes from upbringing though.

bta87 wrote:

Bluenz,
   You got to take THD with a grain of salt, he is not the brightest light on the tree. In time you will see about all he says as just great humor. Apart from his rudeness and proclivity to refer to people as "dude". I suspect that just comes from upbringing though.

Thanks bta87, you're dead right, and as with most of the salt I've found in VN, it is always a bit wet.  but I also like a bit of dry humour too.

Bluenz,
  Love it!! He is a good guy. We just all pray he gets a T.V. soon or there are more sunny days. He says he goes outside on sunny days and monitors our every move because he has no T.V.  I've thought we might take up a donation and get him a T.V.

bta87 wrote:

Bluenz,
  Love it!! He is a good guy. We just all pray he gets a T.V. soon or there are more sunny days. He says he goes outside on sunny days and monitors our every move because he has no T.V.  I've thought we might take up a donation and get him a T.V.

He probably has a Smart phone, they can be dangerous in the wrong hands.

bta87 wrote:

Bluenz,

Very true.  Dude is same as "man, bud, mate, comrade, compadre...".  We use it alot in the Southwest.  No, I'm not a cowboy but grew up in cowboy country though.

bluenz wrote:
bta87 wrote:

Bluenz,

He probably has a Smart phone, they can be dangerous in the wrong hands.

Haha funny.  I don't have a T.V. or a smart phone.  Technology is just passing me by.  Starting to feel like an old fart like you two.  :P

bta87 wrote:

Bluenz,

Nah, if I got a T.V. you'd all miss me on this website.  It'll get boring....and who'll google for you?

bta87 wrote:

Bluenz,

I think a poor guy needs a TV in order to know what's going on outside his world :lol::lol::lol:

aibiet150204 wrote:
bta87 wrote:

Bluenz,

I think a poor guy needs a TV in order to know what's going on outside his world :lol::lol::lol:

I think I stopped watching T.V. after seeing KOREAN soap operas on every channel.  The channels that do have Vietnamese soaps have FAKE voice-overs that annoys the hell out of me.  The commercials are all made in the same style and have like two people whose voices are used on every commercial.  Every drink commercial has kids dancing on the streets while the weather is hot.  Every motorbike commercial has a dude doing like 1000 kph on a flat even street (that doesn't exist in real life).  Every hair care commercial has a chick with long sleek hair so radiant and glowing that it reeks of film editing.  Every medical advertisement has some dudes in white lab coats spewing chemistry formulas across the screen.  The over-exaggeration and fakeness doesn't sell me at all.

I think that's about 90% of the stuff that's on T.V.  You get a few news shows that are interesting but those news stations take video clips off the Internet or other international feeds.  I'm like why bother, I'll get my news off the Internet directly and cut out the middleman.   

In general, I am very anti-TV.  Seeing how it's degraded the American family over the generations and seeing how it's affecting the Vietnamese family makes me never want a television.  America used to have families sitting around a dinner table eating and talking to each other; now we have the family sitting on the couch eating microwave foods watching the "boob tube".  The family doesn't talk to each other anymore. 

I'm seeing that happening with the Vietnamese family as well.  They still eat together on the floor but then once the television turns on, all eyes focus on that instead of each other.  Conversations move from how each member's day went, problems at school, work, etc. to the lives of the people in the television screen.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:
aibiet150204 wrote:
bta87 wrote:

Bluenz,

I think I stopped watching T.V. after seeing KOREAN soap operas on every channel.  The channels that do have Vietnamese soaps have FAKE voice-overs that annoys the hell out of me.  The commercials are all made in the same style and have like two people whose voices are used on every commercial.  Every drink commercial has kids dancing on the streets while the weather is hot.  Every motorbike commercial has a dude doing like 1000 kph on a flat even street (that doesn't exist in real life).  Every hair care commercial has a chick with long sleek hair so radiant and glowing that it reeks of film editing.  Every medical advertisement has some dudes in white lab coats spewing chemistry formulas across the screen.  The over-exaggeration and fakeness doesn't sell me at all.

I think that's about 90% of the stuff that's on T.V.  You get a few news shows that are interesting but those news stations take video clips off the Internet or other international feeds.  I'm like why bother, I'll get my news off the Internet directly and cut out the middleman.   

In general, I am very anti-TV.  Seeing how it's degraded the American family over the generations and seeing how it's affecting the Vietnamese family makes me never want a television.  America used to have families sitting around a dinner table eating and talking to each other; now we have the family sitting on the couch eating microwave foods watching the "boob tube".  The family doesn't talk to each other anymore. 

I'm seeing that happening with the Vietnamese family as well.  They still eat together on the floor but then once the television turns on, all eyes focus on that instead of each other.  Conversations move from how each member's day went, problems at school, work, etc. to the lives of the people in the television screen.

I think we have Disney channel on TV :lol::lol::lol:

THD,
   Your alright. It is nice to see your getting another side to your  $#%^$ personality…a little humor. Before you know it I may like you DUDE!! But do get a T.V. I hear they have some wonderful "Snow" on the channels that don't get anything if you dislike the programing so. It would give you some time away to relax from your computer duties. Speaking of Google. I saw a great T-shirt the other day that all VNese wives should wear it read "I don't need Google, my wife knows everything". Maybe I will buy one and send it to you THD. Hey, I enjoy hearing from you all over the blog. Do you ever sleep?

Hi Hoang:
I hope you are able to follow the conversation that is going on here.  I will be moving to Viet Nam in mid-November and will spend at least a few days in HCMC.  I hope we will have an opportunity to meet.  I think by then you may be fluent in English and may no longer need to practice.  ha ha.