Safety issues

I am an Angolan living abroad for as long as I can remember, and when I go back, my mother just spreads her negative feelings about the lack of security.

♦ Don't talk on your cellphone in the streets... At least not when you have fancy mobiles.
♦ When in your car, keep the doors and windows close.
♦ Never show you have expensive jewellery.
♦ Avoid the use of big handbags.
♦ Don't show you have a lot of money or willing to spend a lot when in a market.
If you're a White person, be aware you will be mistaken by the president/king/etc of your own country. Prices can increase pretty easily.
It also happens to Mixed people (like my mother and myself). When I speak, I have a tiny accent in Portuguese (the kind of accent that says I speak something else in a daily basis) and people consider me as a foreigner. What a shock I give them ;-)
♦ Don't give money to the street children. It's something difficult when they knock on your car window. it's very heartbreaking. But you give to one, you are expected to give to *every* other kid around, and believe me. They will appear by magic.

Difficult times as the rich get richer, the poor get poorer and you can clearly see the dfferences, between the new buildings and the slum...
Did I scare you yet ?

Those are just common sense things you have to do. People still go to Rio de Janeiro, right ?

it is quite the same in ecuador. I would advise the same things. the question is, if I meet the correct people is it possible to have a reasonable life in angola

For sure. Some people are very happy in Angola. Most of my siblings don't want to leave, and we all lived in Europe for ages...

Jo Ann,
you are right, I lived in Rio and love it, I have lived and worked in Brazil for over 15 years !! So I can get used to Angola with blink of an eye?

By the way, Jo Ana, do you if it is easy to find a tennis club or tennis court in Luanda? Thanks much.

Edbraz, yes it is.
Actually, I had my trainings in Coqueiros while I was in Luanda, very good courts.

So coming from the UK & UAE, does taking the extra risks & sacrifices(according to the UK & USA Gov't websites)make working & living in Luanda, Angola, a worthwhile, postive experience overall?

Angola is like Europe of Africa.

I have been working in 3 countries in West Africa and found Angola more beautiful. The images of building in sea on Ilha give the look of Miami & here there is also a Mmiami beach resturant :)
Enjoy your stay here

Hi Jo Ann

So,it can become much more expensive then for "white" folks to shop at the markets...? So then,what is the easiest way to shop without being ripped off? It seems as if the locals only see white folks/expats as a "cash-cow"...how does one get past that mentality?

Is it easy enough to befriend locals without them expecting anything in return?

Would it be safe for me as a woman to be out and about on my own,for example, at markets and shops or in the streets?

What type of jewelry is classed as not expensive? Is it ok to wear silver?

Is it ok to have a "basic" cheap cellphone?

By ok,I mean is it safe....?

I realize there are risks in every country,and coming from South Africa,and having travelled extensively through countries like Mozambique,Zimbabwe and Zambia,I do understand the fundamentals....But I also don't wanna live in fear and mistrust constantly, as this is not a good way to live....and I also don't want to "exclude" myself from the "local "experience....

Sigh....:huh:

Natalie

Can anyone suggest any good japanese restaurants in Luanda?  We can't seem to find any and our family loves sushi and salads...another hard find.

I would say that in terms of security people tend to exagerate (my opinion).
I think that Angola (Luanda) is just like any other highly populated city in the world. Take Johannesburg, Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo and even new york.
One needs to be vigilant at all times.
There is no point comapring African cities or any other 3world country cities to the Old continent in terms of security or anything else that comes with development for that matter.

I have been Hi-jacked in South Africa and had a brush in with 2 angolan criminals in 2008 also, but not life threatening, well if the 2 angolans would have managed to get me into the house as planned things could have probably changed for the worst, but I managed to overpower them both. But anyway I find that if you just wear casual clothes, no flashy watches etc and ordinary cell phones and look like you know the place very well you tend to be OK. I have never had any problems day or night walking the streets apart from a beggar here and there asking for money.

But I feel luanda is not close as bad with violent crime like good old South Africa, I know that after speaking to people thats been mugged in Luanda you will be more likely be killed in SA much easier for petty crime than here.

So all in all it is much saver here and I am a white male sticking out quite clearly.

Hi

I'm thinking of moving to Angola in the not too distant future.  I'm definately going to need a car down there. Do you guys know of any car dealerships for say Toyota, Honda etc? What do you to for cars?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Hello Jspigs,
You are :offtopic:! You should post an ad in Angola Classifieds-> Buy and sell, Cars (not in the forum).
Thanks

Well guys - things seems to changing in Luanda and i witnessed a sad event yesterday - thanks God the ending was not bad - but i think it indicates the start of something -

At 18 45 hours (most busy times in Luanda streets) nearby Kinnaxixe - two people dragged a lady (Expat) from one side of the road to the other with the intention to drag her in the side bushes - Thanks God, cars stopped & they stepped outside, walkers made noises which forced those Assholes (sorry if i hurt u by saying like that) to leave the lady & run away !!
After that i saw people (Expats ladies) running & jogging along the Ilha road & noticed that, that Ilha place is much darker along the beach side -
Please dont go got Jogg or run alone in such places

regards,

Oh my, scarey stuff! I am moving to Luanda very soon. Just have to very careful I suppose :(
I am moving fom Thailand. We had to get used to prices 'suddenly' rising when I appeared in the market. Frustrating but there seems to no way around it. On the other hand I rarely worried about my safety.
I am looking forward to the move to Luanda and the adventure but I will have to keep in mind all the points that have been raised here.
Thanks

I am in China and doing shipping and trading business to Angola , and did not go to Angola before and just knew Angola from my friends and customers, some same as Jo Ann said , everything is expensive and some area is not safe , but some rich people living place are very nice ,

hope can know more and more friends who is working or living in Angola. I'd like to go to Angola next year.

i'am marine engineer and i would like to come in angola for working .somebody can give ideas in shipping companies offshore

hello everyone. Iam new to this website. I recently applied for a job in Angola working offshore. I have been told the travel details but I would like to expand on this with what is it like on the ground. The do's and donts.

An old post, but still worth a reply:

Safety: Dress down.... this does not mean you should wear cheap jewelry...don't wear jewelry, full-stop. Never walk around alone and never at night. When exiting night clubs, pay a security guard or get a police officer to accompany you to your car and always stay in a group.

High prices: Firstly get to know the Portuguese numerals. When at a market, covertly follow some locals around and see what they are paying for what. It also helps to buy something you need immediately after a local purchased it and insist on the same price. I've experienced that building up a relationship with one merchant helps a lot. Try to but from that same person and prices will start to drop..... even if she doesn't have tomatoes, tell her that you want some and she'll get from another merchant nearby while you wait.

NB: Try to avoid any argument..... this is the national pass time and you'll be stuck for hours.

Everyone now in Angola you can talk on the phone any time of the day..Just avoiding going to neighborhood where only locals live special in the nights. No need to be scared of living in Angola anymore, the security as improved a lot

I don't see it Antonio,

Still having people held up at gun point for their computers/ phones etc while in the car, People being shot in the street outside my accommodation, continued reports of criminal activity.

The security reports have not decreased nor the violent nature. Has been the same for the last few years.

I think people just start to accept that it is normal and block out the goings on the more they live there.

GG

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

I lived in Luanda in the early 90s, dispute the war, and some corruption, I found Angolans to be  some of the nicest people you'd ever meet. I'm sure it is even better now.

I've lived in Kingston Jamaica and Johannesburg SA, and they have their problems.

i meet angolans a lot in UAE but they are so nice !! might go there soon i shoulldnt go ?

Hi Jo

I am looking at visiting Angola to sell things like bags, shoes n hair, do you suppose this would be hard for foreigners ? is it illegal ? can i rent out a market stall?
how much do lv bags cost ? shoes watches ?mens shirts ?

[moderated: off topic.]

Hello everyone,

I got an offer from angola.

I'm very much concern about security.  Can any explain?

Your comment is very helpful for me.
Regards,
:)

Hello 12121.

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Please refer to the above messages on the thread for more infos.

Thanks.

Karen :)

Pride drilling ships which are operating in Angola.
Discoverer Luanda-BP
Petrobras 10000-Petrobras
GSF Celtic Sea-Exxon
Transocean Rather-Exxon
Jim Cunningham-Exxon
Transocean Rather-Exxon
Transocean Richardson -Chevron

cggveritas.com          ---offshore
reederverband           ---all germans companies includin some offshore
clickandsea.fr         ---offshore /shipping french
placementpartner.co.za  --- recruiting agency from South Africa
oilandgasjobsearch.com      ---recruiting agency offshore