Moving to Sohar from America

Good Morning,  We will be moving to Sohar from Washington state.  How much freedom do woman have...do drive, shop, or travel alone?  I saw a post from someone from Lafayette...did you make the move.  Thanks, Angela

Hi and welcome to Expat.com Angela!

Your post has been moved to the Sohar forum for better visibility.
Hope the other members will share their experience with you soon.

Regards
Armand

I am also moving to Sohar from Dubai. I was move to Dubai from St. Louis, Missouri in 1998.

Woman have almost full freedom to do everything such as drive, shop, travel and so forth. It is very safe place for expat. Do you have any specific question in mind?

Regards,
Fahim

Hi Angela,
Welcome ...Oman is safe haven for everyone lot of freedom ...Good place for family life..
In this forum you will get all information
WR
Vik

hi Angela,

safe haven, very child-friendly, quiet and peaceful, you may miss your umbilical to the 'fast life' but this can be remedied through subscription to OSN (Dubai satellite) where you will get all your American shows and daily international news, I could not live without it, that and my wifi internet!!

good luck!

Hi:

Life in Oman is better thn othr GCC countries. There is one problem in Sohar regarding kids education, academic standard is not pretty good.

I tried to find out a sports outlet in Sohar to buy my cricket equipments and trainers but I couldn't find.

Ultimate choice: safeer Mall: safeer hypermarket and Souq area for fresh fruits, veggies, meat, chicken and fish etc.

Oman is a very safe country and people are very receptive and friendly.

Crystal luc

Hi
Aliomct,
GM as you mention good place to live but education standard not up to internatonal lavel
Have a wonderful day ...

you most welcome

Hi, sorry I just got your post.  I just moved into Palm Gardens.  I am looking for nice furniture.  Any ideas?

Hi,

Try Home Center pretty close to Palm Gardens in Centrepoint.Sohar also has few furniture collection. Or on opposite side in line to KFC you have Teejan Furniture.

Prajeesh

Hello,

Over here you have the freedom to drive, shopping and not much of social activity. But there are a few good hotels where you may go to spend your time in the pub(unless accompanied by your husband, friend or relative). There is a small shopping mall....and the only restriction is a proper dress code. There is no restriction for Non Muslims to wear a burqa, or to cover your head except not to wear revealing clothes. Trust you find these small details usefull. In case you need any help...please do not hesitate to contact me when in Sohar. Wish you a pleasant journey to Oman.

Best regards,

Mary
Mob : +968 95954718
E-Mail : [email protected]

hey you here?

Hello HUSSAM4IK -> An introduction maybe? :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Trust me, Oman is a safe destination.

But see that you are well settled before you plan to move out.

There are many event management experts who can help you to settle down.

Any way all the best.

If you plan to visit Muscat, do contact me to avail any help

Best regards and best of luck

Hey angelamonson,

Im pleased to know uve settled in, im looking to move to Sohar soon myself. Since u mentioned the palm gardens, cud u be kind enough to advise what the rents are like there?

Thanks

HOZI

Where do you work now?  Are you American?

u most welcome to oman , oman is safe country and u can drive or shoping any thing u want and u just respact the culure here

we r very happy to see u here

if u need any help be touch with me or us

all the best for u here in oman

my y contact me I am Omani living in sohar

oxo212 wrote:

my y contact me I am Omani living in sohar

This is quite an old post; but nevertheless why does she has to contact you ... She must be very well settled in by now :idontagree:

Vido!
He is willing to help a settled PERSON... let him do it...... :dumbom: just as Im busy arranging my Egypt "VISA" :D

Hello
My husband has been offered a job in Sohar.  We lived in Abu Dhabi 20 years ago so we do have some knowledge about living in the Middle East.  We are interested in renting a property in the Palm Gardens Development and would like to find out more about living there.   Can anyone tell us about life in Sohar?  We do not have young children so we are not looking for schools but we are interested in finding out what there is to do e.g. sporting facilities etc.  Looking forward to hearing from you.

Oman is very good & safe place to live in.
The culture is totally opposite to america culture.

Forr what purpose r u moving

Sajinss wrote:

Forr what purpose r u moving

Hi Sajinss,

Who are you writing to ??

This is a 2+-year-old thread.

Sorry sir i dont know

Theres no glitz and glamour like Dubai , its a small ,safe and boring city, no tourist spots and not much leisure . there is only one decent beach ,park,cinema,mall .