Where in Uruguay can we settle for a more rural, quieter life?

We are country folk from South Africa. We are currently living in Cape Town but don't like city living. We are seriously thinking of relocating to Uruguay but would want to settle in the country, with wide open spaces, rivers, farming community. Any suggestions?

Greetings Richard:

Western coast (city of Colonia and nearest towns like Carmelo) might be a righ place for you to settle and be conected with an international rural community.

Another recommendation is on the eastern coast, near the atlantic ocean (Maldonado and surroundings).

Of course there exist many other beautiful places to settle in Urugay, with cheaper land, but also more isolated from the modern world and all services (banking, health, schools, etc.)

What kind of rural project would you like to carry on?

Best regards,

Daniel Mascort

Thanks, I was wondering this too :)

I would like to start a small farm but near some bigger town for all they have to offer!

Hi Richard

I am swiss, but living in Salta up in the very north of Argentina. I am also interested to move to Uruguay and searching some nice place in the country (as I am a horse lover). Therefor I was allready 3 times in uruguay this year to find out places and traveled a lot around the country.

As you mentioned you want to be near a city I can tell you the following. In Uruguay the small cities are very, I mean very quiet and lonely. If you are interested to be near a city because of some culture, restaurants and so on, everything is on the coast side, the small rural towns inside the country are not at all cosmopolitan.

Please give me a tip what are your expectations concerning living near a city, so I can help you out with aditional information.

Marc

HI TO EVERY ONE,

I AM A FRENCH GYU LIVING IN URUGUAY FOR 3 YEARS.
I THINK THERE IS MAINLY TWO AREAS WHICH COULD CORRESPOND WITH WHAT YOUR ARE LOOKING FOR :

THE COLONIA/CARMELO AREA : VERY FERTILE LANDS ALONG THE RIO DE LA PLATA, JUST IN FRONT OF BUENOS AIRES. DISTANCE FROM MONTEVIDEO ABOUT 3 HOURS.

THE RURAL AREA OF PUNTA DEL ESTE ESPECIALLY PUEBLO EDEN AND PUEBLO GARZON. YOU ARE JUST 2 HOURS FRON MONTEVIDEO AND IN PUNTA DEL ESTE YOU WILL FIND ALL YOU NEED. NICE RURAL LANDSCAPES JUST 20 MINUTES FROM NICES BEATCHES.

ANYWAY THE BETTER OPTION IS TO FIRST VISIT THE COUNTRY BEFORE CHOOSING A PLACE TO HAVE A GENERAL VIEW.

SEB

Thank you very very much for your reply!!!