Food safety

Something I have noticed sice I have been here is most restaraunts are pretty gross. I am coming from a pretty extensive food and hospitality background so I have a pretty good eye for these things. I wont go on and on about the things I have seen just letting any new visitors to watch out. I have had horrible food poisioning TWICE in the last month.

That is all

Good topic and warning!

My daughter and I have both had food poisoning since living here.  And you are correct, the food here is not the best.

If you read my post under the "Restaurants" heading, you'll see my opinion of the restaurants here.

I just read that. I have just been cooking at home since the last poisioning happened. Its no wonder you never see Ticos eating out!

May I ask where these incidents have occured (not names but areas...)?

I have lived in various areas of Costa Rica and eaten at dozens of restaurants - maybe 50 or more over the years - and never gotten sick.

It's good to look around and note if you see cockroaches or any other signs of less-than-optimal cleanliness and I don't doubt that some of the restaurants are less than optimal. But that said I've never gotten sick from food in Costa Rica.

I think it's good to be aware of a potential problem though so can you pinpoint any particular towns or areas where you've seen or experienced problems? And what is the nature of the problems you've seen most? Food left sitting out (spoiled)? Bad fish? Bad chicken? Give us some more specific info if you can so we know more of what to watch out for. Since you have worked in this field, what warning signs can we look for?

Although this is an old post, I feel I have to address it :/.
We have lived here for many years and eaten at top, middle-of-the-line and some very basic restaurants and have never had food poisoning or even an upset stomach.
And for the statement "It's no wonder you never see Ticos eating out!' do you honestly think all of the thousands of restaurants and sodas in this country, could exist if they had only to cater to tourists and expats?
Maybe it is a problem in your immediate area?