Nannies, Preschools, and Playgroups

Hi all,

We are planning to move to Rio in March 2012 and starting to think about where we want to live and how the adjustment will be for our two year old daughter.  I don't yet have a job, but do plan to look for one.

Does anyone have advice on finding nannies or daycares and what the approximate cost is?  I read this article on the NYTimes and while I am pleased to see nannies getting paid wages that better reflect their efforts, some of these would be more than we can afford (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/20/world … wanted=all)

At what age do children typically start preschool in Brazil?     Does anyone have any recommendations on good programs? 

Does anyone in this group participate in toddler playgroups?    If I am going to stay home, we will be eager to meet people.

Thanks!

Hello!!

I have the exact same questions, as we are moving to Rio in January. I suppose you had all your answers since October 2011!

So if you could help me regarding nannies and daycare costs...
As well as your two other questions :-)

"At what age do children typically start preschool in Brazil?     Does anyone have any recommendations on good programs? 

Does anyone in this group participate in toddler playgroups?    If I am going to stay home, we will be eager to meet people."

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Providing education is solely the perview of each individual state so it will depend on the state exactly what age they begin school. Generally speaking depending on the state it will be either after having reached 5 or 6 years of age. From this point on education is manditory and the state is responsible to provide it, they can't refuse a space under any circumstances.

Prior to this age the can be placed in "Ensino Infantil" commonly known as a creche. There are private creches and also others that are operated by the state or municipal education systems. The private ones you pay for and the state or municipal ones are free. Needless to say it may be much more difficult to find spaces in the public creches, there are certain requirements and there is no legal requirement to provide spaces like exists with regular school spaces. Private creches take infants, I'm not so sure about the public ones. I believe they're accepting kids in the two or three year old age group to being.

As far as playgroups go outside the expat community here I doubt they have even been heard of. You may want to scan some of the back topic postings to see if you can find something or start a new posting when you're here and see if you can generate interest in starting up one of your own.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward – Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Thank you for your answer.

DO you have any information regarding the average rate for a nanny in Rio?

And for the Creches, how old must the the child to get in?

Kind Regards,

Bruce

Hi again Bruce,

I really don't have any information, but you should be able to get a full-time caregiver (babá) for around the mimimum wage, presently R$678,00 (USD $307.95) per month. You will likely have to pay somewhat more per month and provide a room and meals if you want a live-in nanny. This amount will go up slightly on January 1, 2014 when the new minimum comes into effect.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward – Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

I doubt you'll find a nanny for minimum wage in Rio. Besides that, domestic workers now have the same rights as normal employees, making it difficult to have a live in nanny as they may not work more than 44 hours a week. They nao work 8 hours a day, have the right to a full hour of lunch, and must be payed overtime. They also have the right to 31 days payed vacation (+30%) and 13 month wage in December. FGTS and INSS must be payed. If by any chance your nanny gets pregnant she gets 6 months "licença maternidade" so be sure to hire a nany in her sixties or a male nany.

Hi Bruce,

I am now in a better position to give you some answers.   There are a number of "creche/escolas" here that serve hybrid daycare/preschools.  Kids usually start these between 6 months to a year old and stay until they start primary school around age 6.   Kindergarten and preschool are not required here so if you want something like that you have to opt for something private.   The good news is that there are a lot of good options available and a variety of methods (more traditional approaches vs. Montessori style etc.).  You can opt for half or full day programs depending on what you want or need.  The price of these programs really depends on where you live.  In Zona Sul you are looking at somewhere between R$900-1500 for a half day.   

I do not have a nanny but prices do vary and in Rio, as already stated, I highly doubt that you will be able to find anybody who will work for minimum wage.   

There is an expat play group that is very active and has a private facebook page.   If you would like me to add you to that group I am happy to do so, if you send me a private message with your email/facebook ID.

Hi!
I was wondering if someone could recommend a network in Rio where I can connect with families looking for a nanny or tutor. I'm a teacher from the US who has taught all over the world and recently moved to Brazil. I have a bachelor's degree in Psychology and a master's in Education as well as seven years job experience. Currently I'm looking to work privately for a family versus in the school setting.

Any suggestions or direction you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Taylor

Hi Taylor,

There are several agencies in Rio that contract nannies and other domestics. Check out the following Google search results, it may help you.

https://www.google.com.br/search?q=agen … p;ie=UTF-8

Good luck with the job hunting, it can be a daunting task for foreigners in Brazil.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

Hi Bruce,

I was hoping to connect directly with families, but I will have a look at these sites.

Thanks for your help!