Tattoo acceptance in Mongolia

Hi folks,

I was wondering what the level of acceptance is for women with tattoos in Mongolia? If I wear short-mid length sleeves my ink is covered (and of course in the winter it's not an issue...which I know plenty about, I'm Canadian). Are Mongolians in UB shocked by tattoos, are they less stigmatized, any knowledge/reaction to this?

I think you should cover it when you are working or in office environment. Otherwise, I think most people are fine with tattoos unless it's about their kids getting a tattoo. Older people who grew up in communist era might not like it.

My wife has tattoos and had no issues while living in UB.  People rarely commented except for a few times wanting to know more about the tattoos.

Tattoos are not problems in Mongolia everywhere. As I observe, the young generation are very open-minded on tattoos.

In communist era, people used to see the people not well who had tattoos but now it is definitely different. Anyone can make it on his/her body. Nobody can judge it.

If you have tattoos and worry about living in UB because of your tattoos, please stop it!

As I see, the art of tattoos is already started to develop in Mongolia.

So, show your tattoos and enjoy it. :D

Closed