Vietnam holidays

Hi I am looking for some fairly detailed holiday information about Vietnam. If I start by saying that I havnt got a clue about the country it will give you some idea of where to start. Basically we have travelled to Thailand for the last 10 years and are now fed up with the decline into violence and the constant need to rip off tourists. We really want a beach holiday with a fairly lively nightlife, not discos but plenty of bars, climate is very important the hotter the better, so we would need to know the best time of the year to visit. Any advice is really appreciated.

Just google it or read old threads in this forum :D

Vietnam is not that much different from Thailand. Unless you are going to be with close relatives like I was, you are not going to be spared from similar incidents that you experienced in Thailand. Just do your research and common sense and try not to worry too much. Enjoy your trip! :D

MIA2013 wrote:

Vietnam is not that much different from Thailand. Unless you are going to be with close relatives like I was, you are not going to be spared from similar incidents that you experienced in Thailand. Just do your research and common sense and try not to worry too much. Enjoy your trip! :D

I think Melvin was referring to the violence in Thailand where locals are against locals, and the need for tourists to stay away from those areas so as not to be collateral damage - not violence against tourists directly. Vietnam, in that regard, is very different from Thailand as the Communist government here is not going to tolerate the kinds of incidents that take place in "free" countries like Thailand.

We love hoi an. It has beaches, bars and lovely restaurants. I've not seen any violence towards anyone except a woman who lost it with her boyfriend and beat him with a helmet in the middle of the street in Hanoi. They will always try to  rip you off in Asia, its what they do. I try and find the middle point of prices so they get extra but not enough to worry me. Win win. Tripadvisor is a huge help in planning any holiday.
Plus watch some Luke  Nguyen Vietnam cooking shows as he visits places not many tourists go.

You may want to consider Hoi An, Mui Ne and Nha Trang in Vietnam for fairly nice nightlife. Do read about those places first to see if thats what you want! There are pros and cons in each place.

Otherwise, I personally like Boracay in the Philippines. I think it might match what you're looking for. Oh well, I'm Vietnamese....