Our first short visit - ideas and meeting up

Hola,

We are Joe and Nancy,  We are planning our first visit to SMA as we begin our visits to a few Mexican Destinations to determine where we want to hang our hat as we begin our retirement.  Well, retirement for him, semi for me... 

We have spent a year in Mexico sailing down the coast towards the Panama Canal and into the Caribbean ending up living on Roatan for almost 4 years so am familiar with the lifestyle and after raising our son we are ready to get back to it.  We just need to find the place for us.

We will be flying down Nov 1-4 for a quick peek.  (We are still very much working so that is all the time we have for a first visit) to see how it feels to us.

We would love some tips on anything and everything.  We would also like to know where some of the places the expats hang out and have breakfast or drinks so we can meet some of you and pick your brains.

We know we will be there for Day of the Dead weekend so it may not be a true snapshot of life there but we are very well traveled and we can look beyond that.  Plus it will be fun!  Any suggestions for what is the best way to experience some of the festivities would be greatly appreciated as well.

Looking forward to getting to know you,
Joe and Nancy

Hi Joe and Nancy,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Thank you for this introduction. ;)

Could anyone share with us places where we might meet some of you living in SMA to visit with ???

Hi Joe and Nancy, I think you will LOVE San Miguel. For sure, you will want to just hang out in the main square (the Jardin Principal). There are several little cafes that ring the square, and these are great places to people watch. I'm sure there will be much going on there during the Day of the Dead festivities. There is also an adjacent festival going on at this time called La Calaca, and you should check their site for specific arts events.

For breakfast/lunch, I would check out a great place called Cafe Contento (close to the Jardin), the address is Hernandez Macias #72. The guy that runs this place is a U.S. expat, and a super nice guy. You're bound to strike up a conversation with someone at one of the other tables.

Another little place for breakfast (a bit of a hole in the wall) is Juan's Cafe (very inexpensive, good food here for breakfast). Located at Relox #37. Juan's is an in the know favorite with expats, because Juan sells current film DVD's here for dirt cheap.

You'll also want to go to the rooftop bar of the Rosewood Hotel, this is a wonderful place to have a drink, and it has a lovely view of the town. They also have an amazing spa on site, if you really want to pamper yourselves for a few hours!

I have some interviews with local SMA expats that you might want to check out also.

I hope you have a great trip, and, I bet you fall in love with the place, like everyone does!

Saludos,
David

Here some suggestions.....Check out the online ex-pat newspaper Atencion. Here is a link.... http://www.atencionsanmiguel.org/
Particularly Que Pasa and the calendar for what is going on each week. Another source for what is going on....
http://viaorganica.org/calendario/

Regarding Day of the Dead...there are several Catrina parades. You can even get involved if you have a costume. One of them starts at the Hotel Rosewood. I suggest visiting the local cemetery ( it sounds creepy but well worth the effort...if not just for photo opportunities) There will be special altars  erected around the central square and around town.
Meeting people is very easy. Hang out in the jardine....go to a newcomer's meeting, visit Hank's bar (on Hidalgo) on a Tuesday or Wednesday evening. There are several groups that advertise meetings in Atencion.
Hope this helps
C. Hammond

Hi Nancy and Jo,

What kind of activities do you enjoy?  Love to know a little more about your background so then could make more relevant recommendations and suggestions...

Best, Francesca